Technics is Dead.. LONG LIVE TECHNICS!

If you're using it for a DJ setup, you can't use it to play anything that you don't want destroyed and sound quality is moot.  Digital seems easier/cheaper.

Why is sound quality moot? I enjoy listening to $2 thrift finds that are crackly dusty as much as I do brand new albums. I dont see how that would matter. Digital may be easier/cheaper, but Im a fan of old school turntablism. 

I expect that Pioneer is of the same quality as the better 1200 clones as it comes from the same source but I will be interested to hear one and also read the real reviews.

If they do it right it could fill the 1200 void but I very much doubt it as the legend has been set on the 1200 in the buying public's eyes and will only get stronger all the time Panasonic don't re-start production.

The direct vs belt thing will always run and run and it depends what you want from your turntable but as to it destroying records it's got an s shaped arm and all the adjustments you need so it should be able to track properly and shouldn't destroy anything if you use a decent stylus and set it up properly.

Then why not just use a Crosley?

Hahaha, I give up man. Music is music, I dont understand why you have to be so elitist about it. I enjoy listening to vinyl, I enjoy the experience, I buy records to listen to, not to frame on my wall. Some of the dopest stuff that I have in my collection Ive found digging. Would never have even come across it. I dont see your point anymore.

What's wrong with DD? Good direct drive is fucking awesome.

Looking at this table it seems to come from the same factory as the LP-120, the wow and flutter spec is not bad but doesn't touch the SL-1200. Made in China so beware and wait for reviews.

This isn't "good" direct drive, but even still direct drive has a lot of downsides in terms of fidelity.  There are few direct drive audiophile grade turntables for a reason.

I sample records and like to adjust pitch. Also want to learn how to scratch a little bit, maybe pick up DJing on the side as some extra income.

So tell me, if this thing gets rave reviews and lives up to the hype, where would my $400 be better off spent?

Rave reviews from whom?  

If you had aspirations of being a DJ, buying this makes sense.  If you want a turntable to listen to, I'd rather have an Orbit.

There are few direct drive audiophile grade turntables for a reason.

I thought this was more engineering/production reasons than anything else... Its much easier to design with belt driven. I could be wrong-- thoughts?

As in, its cheaper, considering the high end tables aren't as mass produced as the low end.

Nothing about my post was degrading, stop playing the victim.

You stated that you like listening to records that "are crackly dusty"... so I'm confused as to why you're putting such emphasis into a new table that's anything greater than a Crosley? If you're not so concerned with clarity... why upgrade?

Definitely not playing the victim, just dont see why you are so concerned with a purchase someone else MIGHT make with their own money. I didnt even start the thread lol. I was expressing interest. Ive already stated why a direct drive is something I am interested in, I dont need to repeat myself. I already have a belt drive table and I want something comparable to a technics sl 1200. Im not going to question you if you want to purchase some unheard of tube amp created by keebler elves using driftwood found on the coast of mexico. Come on now.

Hahaha, I give up man. Music is music, I dont understand why you have to be so elitist about it. I enjoy listening to vinyl, I enjoy the experience, I buy records to listen to, not to frame on my wall. Some of the dopest stuff that I have in my collection Ive found digging. Would never have even come across it. I dont see your point anymore.

What turntable do you have currently?

Rave reviews from whom?  

If you had aspirations of being a DJ, buying this makes sense.  If you want a turntable to listen to, I'd rather have an Orbit.

From people who have purchased it, on forums, like this one. If you want an Orbit, the more power to you man. I could care less what you do with your money.

This isn't "good" direct drive, but even still direct drive has a lot of downsides in terms of fidelity.  There are few direct drive audiophile grade turntables for a reason.

Very vague and who gives a shit about audiophiles. Diminishing returns means they are wrestling over shit I can't even hear. Bear in mind i own a high spec belt drive and an SL-1200. List these issues.

Definitely not playing the victim, just dont see why you are so concerned with a purchase someone else MIGHT make with their own money. I didnt even start the thread lol. I was expressing interest. Ive already stated why a direct drive is something I am interested in, I dont need to repeat myself. I already have a belt drive table and I want something comparable to a technics sl 1200. Im not going to question you if you want to purchase some unheard of tube amp created by keebler elves using driftwood found on the coast of mexico. Come on now.

Weird, thought this was a discussion board. Still find it funny that you made a high horse comment when I make a joke about the Orbit... quoting you saying "its a glorified Crosley".

I thought this was more engineering/production reasons than anything else... Its much easier to design with belt driven. I could be wrong-- thoughts?

As in, its cheaper, considering the high end tables aren't as mass produced as the low end.

A lot of turntable fidelity is based on preventing vibration from affecting the needle touching the grove as the record spins.  Obviously, that is much more difficult when the platter sits directly on top of the motor as with direct drive turntables.  This is why motors tend to be decoupled from the plinth entirely on many audiophile turntables.

There are other reasons why they're problematic, one being the way a direct drive motor actuates.  There was an interesting video on YouTube with VPI talking to I believe Michael Fremer about their direct drive turntable where this problem is brought up and they discuss how they engineered around it.  

This. Playing the victim.

Hey man Im just calling it as I see it. Im sure you had some snarky comment ready to go. And yeah if given a choice between an Orbit and a high quality DD, spending the same amount of money, I will take the DD as it fits my needs and wants better. This is starting to sound like an Apple/Windows argument. People will choose what they want. 

This. Playing the victim.

Hey man Im just calling it as I see it. Im sure you had some snarky comment ready to go. And yeah if given a choice between an Orbit and a high quality DD, spending the same amount of money, I will take the DD as it fits my needs and wants better. This is starting to sound like an Apple/Windows argument. People will choose what they want. 

A lot of turntable fidelity is based on preventing vibration from affecting the needle touching the grove as the record spins.  Obviously, that is much more difficult when the platter sits directly on top of the motor as in direct drive turntables.  This is why motors tend to be decoupled from the plint entirely on many audiophile turntables.

There are other reasons why they're problematic, one being the way a direct drive motor actuates.  There was an interesting video on YouTube with VPI talking to I believe Michael Fremer about their direct drive turntable where this problem is brought up and they discuss how they engineered around it.  

See the video you mentioned is exactly what led me to believe the DD could be used in a higher end table... but the costs...

Very vague and who gives a shit about audiophiles. Diminishing returns means they are wrestling over shit I can't even hear. Bear in mind i own a high spec belt drive and an SL-1200. List these issues.

I agree, that most ridiculous high end audiophile horseshit is paying thousands of dollars for little to no return on that investment.  When I was using that terms I was to differentiate between low end turntables and higher end turntables.