Technics is Dead.. LONG LIVE TECHNICS!

How does costs factor in considering even the price range of the mid level turntable market?  

Not trying to be an ass, but how does it not? All the smaller "boutique" audio companies are trying to make money. If its less expensive to add a decoupled motor thats been designed an used... versus trying to engineer one inside the unit, they will always go for the first though. If they are designing a table that they expect sales in the 10-100s... are they going to put as much cost into engineering that will not make them a wider profit margin?

I thought this was more engineering/production reasons than anything else... Its much easier to design with belt driven. I could be wrong-- thoughts?

As in, its cheaper, considering the high end tables aren't as mass produced as the low end.

Partly, the high end tables tend to be cottage industry setup's and direct drive needs someone the size of Panasonic to produce DD motors consistently, of course there is nothing stopping a small maker buying the motors and electronics and making a high end table, it's been done but by buying a standard motor and belt you are not allowing what could be competition to dictate your parts supply..

The biggest thing though is noise isolation as the belt isolates the platter and therefore the cartridge from the motor noise if it's done properly, all DD's produce rumble and a higher noise floor than a good belt unit.

But also back in the day audiophile tables were generally sprung sub chassis units which is hard to do with DD so the trend of belt for audiophile and DD for general cooking tables sort of set.

Truth is there is good and bad with both but if you want proper top end there are very few DD tables I can think of in that category, in the mid ground where most people are you pays your money and takes your choice, as I said it depends what you want from your table.

Not trying to be an ass, but how does it not? All the smaller "boutique" audio companies are trying to make money. If its less expensive to add a decoupled motor thats been designed an used... versus trying to engineer one inside the unit, they will always go for the first though. If they are designing a table that they expect sales in the 10-100s... are they going to put as much cost into engineering that will not make them a wider profit margin?

VPI's direct drive turntable is $30k.  I can't speculate on what VPI's profit margins are, but I'm guessing they're decent.  Considering that there are many turntables far (far far far) more expensive than that, I'm guessing the cost of direct drive isn't the issue.  VPI is more "budget friendly" than most.  These companies aren't worried about saving a couple of bucks.  They're trying to build the best thing they can regardless of cost.    If they thought the best thing was direct drive, they'd be using it.