Tony Stewart Hits and Kills Driver

He used to be known for his temper problems, I'm sure he's not the most calm and collected guy but it's been a while since anything newsworthy has happened involving his temper.

March, 2013:

"In March 2013, he accused driver Joey Logano of blocking his car in a race in Fontana, California and when it was over, he stormed towards him, shoved him and threatened to run him over."

adding:

"'If he ever turns down across in front of me again, I don’t care what lap it is, he won’t make it through the other end of it,' he said after a confrontation with driver Joey Logano in March 2013."

so your down vote seems INVALID

Also notice how tony himself has gotten out of his car to approach either pit row or the track. And thats not even Logano's car!

ScreenShot2014-08-11at105012AM_zps495769

(notice the caption)

edit: he's on record TWICE saying he'd run over an opponent.

Going to first off state I'm a long time NASCAR fan. #24 is my guy since 1994. Bash me if you want. All you racing fans know I needed to put that out there.

That said, I woke up Sunday morning seeing this on Twitter and immediately ran to the TV to see it. I like Stewart, He's a full on real old school racer. The stuff he's doing at Eldrora Speedway gives me chills. If you don't know anything about racing or think it's some hick sport or not a sport at all, just watch this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLLgE4AQ4A0

Here's a big but here, my opinion, he knew what he was doing there. Yeah he's had temper issues. That's why I like the guy. I don't at all think he wanted to do what actually happened. But, he wanted to do something. He probably just wanted to give the kid (big RIP here, Ward was a true talent) a lesson. And like a few posts have stated, there's been plenty of Sprint Cup races where guys have gotten out of their cars and thrown helmets at cars and so on. I mean Jimmy Spencer, race fans know what I mean. 

Bottom line, he messed up. He knows. He pulled himself out of the race yesterday and when someone who is a real true racer does that, it's bad. This guy spends his free time, which is probably like 2 hours a week, racing dirt tracks. I feel really bad for Stewart, for the Ward family. This is not going to end well.

He pulled himself out of the race yesterday and when someone who is a real true racer does that, it's bad. This guy spends his free time, which is probably like 2 hours a week, racing dirt tracks. I feel really bad for Stewart, for the Ward family. This is not going to end well.

He was initially going to race still no? i think his camp had more to do with saying "um, this may be a bad idea here fella" more than anything. but i dunno.

He was initially going to race still no? i think his camp had more to do with saying "um, this may be a bad idea here fella" more than anything. but i dunno.

I can't speak for him but all I know is when I woke up Sunday morning, ESPN said he was racing, then quickly deleted that tweet and said he wasn't. It would have been a disgrace IMO if he did race. Again, I like Stewart.

March, 2013:

"In March 2013, he accused driver Joey Logano of blocking his car in a race in Fontana, California and when it was over, he stormed towards him, shoved him and threatened to run him over."

adding:

"'If he ever turns down across in front of me again, I don’t care what lap it is, he won’t make it through the other end of it,' he said after a confrontation with driver Joey Logano in March 2013."

so your down vote seems INVALID

Also notice how tony himself has gotten out of his car to approach either pit row or the track. And thats not even Logano's car!

ScreenShot2014-08-11at105012AM_zps495769

(notice the caption)

edit: he's on record TWICE saying he'd run over an opponent.

The cars sit way too low to run anyone over. He is using run him over as another term for wreck. He and Logano have some history, so I'm not surprised he said that. They even got into a shoving match after the Fontana race last year when J-Lo and Denny tangled and it pissed Tony off. He's not as bad as he used to be. Also, watch that whole video with Kenseth where tony throws his helmet, you would have wanted to as well.

The cars sit way too low to run anyone over.

but still driving a nascar towards a person would still strike them and do damage, right? i think so.

oh throwing helmets is the shit. i like it. i like the shoving and the occasional punch...especially when you get the smaller guys doing it. (most are pretty tiny)

The cars sit way too low to run anyone over. He is using run him over as another term for wreck. He and Logano have some history, so I'm not surprised he said that. They even got into a shoving match after the Fontana race last year when J-Lo and Denny tangled and it pissed Tony off. He's not as bad as he used to be. Also, watch that whole video with Kenseth where tony throws his helmet, you would have wanted to as well.

a threat is a threat. especially when someone's claiming he's tamed his anger problems.

the kid never should have stepped foot on that track. we can all agree on that.

True. But it's happened in the past without any issues. I've personally raced at Sycamore Speedway (dirt track) in Illinois and have seen it first hand. Never seen anyone intentionally mow down someone. I don't see how anyone can prove anything here. It's a phone cam video. Not defending anyone, just saying if the Ward family is going to prosecute, I don't see it holding up in court. Bottom line, it's just a tragedy. I mean, AJ, the guy who won his first Sprint Cup race yesterday, the first thing he said was respects to the Ward family. It's a tight-knit community in racing and it's a shame that something like this brought racing to the nation's attention.

I agree with the getting out of your car in the middle of the race wasn't the best decision a person could make opinion.

I'm not arguing with you because I actually completely agree that it was a stupid decision by that guy.  However, just because  someone does something stupid doesn't mean that you have a right to "scare him". 

The driver that got out of his car did something reckless.  It is still on everyone else on that track to do anything in their power to get out of the way without harming themselves or other racers.  It sure doesn't seem like Stewart was trying to get out of the way at all, and I am sure that drivers see everything that is going on.

I understand everyone saying it's idiotic to get out of your car on a race track when cars are flying by but if you're not into racing, you don't know how much it happens. It's a heat of the moment reaction. Doesn't happen every race (and there's more racing then just NASCAR). Trust me, if his car was still driveable, he'd just slam into Stewart's car and that'd be it. Eye for an eye. But since it wasn't driveable he did the next not-so-best thing. Got out of the his car and tried to make sure Stewart knew he didn't like him being put into the wall intentionally. Read the articles, these two had beef going back a little while. Wasn't the first time they had an issue with each other. Apparently Ward continually beat Stewart week after week at the dirt tracks. And Stewart being Stewart wasn't going to have some young kid upstage him. No excuses here, it was a very bad situation. No winners.

Just because it happens often doesn't make it any less stupid.

I feel i should add some more to this so i dont sound like a heartless bastard.

I watched the video once and the angle i saw the only time you see tony is when he enters the frame and then hits the guy so its a split second and hard to tell whats really going on. Im not trying to say Tonys not at all fault its just from the perspective i saw you can't tell whats going on. I have no clue if Tony saw him or not and if he was trying to scare him or whatever, or not.

Its a terrible tragedy that could have been easily been prevented.

People aren't piecing things together based on that one video, though. There are blow-by-blow counts of the whole thing on Twitter by people standing right by that turn on the track. Additionally, eye witnesses spoke to local papers in NY about what they saw.

Well like i said, im a complete outsider to the situation who has only seen 1 clip and has absolutely no desire to see any others, or investigate any further.

Just seems like common sense to not run towards a car going at least 60mph (?) towards you. Its not like its going to be able to stop on a dime on a dirt track. What is one hoping to accomplish by doing that?

People aren't piecing things together based on that one video, though. There are blow-by-blow counts of the whole thing on Twitter by people standing right by that turn on the track. Additionally, eye witnesses spoke to local papers in NY about what they saw.

Lord knows that twitter is always the most reliable place to get the truth.

Lord knows that twitter is always the most reliable place to get the truth.

seriously

Someone dies in an accident and everyone is all of a sudden an automotive forensics expert.

But hey, guilty until proven innocent is usually the trend so why stray I suppose. Just like the bright eyes rape thing... I won't make judgment until more evidence is presented or a court rules. It's a really sad situation all around. Ward had a lot of potential.

All I know is I could not imagine the feeling if I was accused of killing someone on purpose by thousands of people when in my heart I knew it was an accident.

Its not everyone accusing him of murder. Its the people who know nothing about racing and watched maybe a Daytona 500 that are going on about it. Its not a sport that's easy to explain. Its like in football when a guy body slams another guy and they get up and come to blows. Except we're talking a couple thousand pound car and 500 horsepower. Either way, only Stewart knows what happened and I have a feeling how it plays out in the coming weeks will tell the story. If he's decides not to race, that says a lot.