Line Out vs. Phono and what is SO bad about the AT- LP60USB?

OK so..I own an AT-LP60USB. (Apparently its looked down upon on this forum..) I realize its more of an entry level turntable but the fact is Audio Technica puts out good stuff usually so I trusted it.

But why is it SO horrible according to this forum? And what should I do to upgrade it (aside from buying a different turntable)

Second..It has a phono and line out, I have a Harman Kardon AV130 amp which has no phono input but have it hooked up via the ATLP60s line out.

Is there a difference in tone when it comes to line out and phono? Should I be focusing on getting a new amp that has a phono in? Etc.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Don't know about that turntable, but the difference between a phono Input and any other input is that the phono one has to amplify the sound much much more than, say, a cd player so the phono channel is specifically designed for this by having the preamp built in. It will technically work on other inputs but you won't get the full range you may desire and generally you have to crank the volume to compensate for the only partial amplification. So to get the full goodness you need to go buy a phono pre-amp if your current setup is not equipped for it. 

I don't think the hate is brand-specific...although with everything in life, some brands are better at making a product that performs the desired outcome. A Yugo and Ferrari will both get you from A to B, but one of them will be a much better ride.

It has to do with the tone arm. There is no counter weight which means there is no way to control how much force the needle applies to the surface of your records. The general desire is for the needle to just barely touch the surface of the record, which produces the sound you hear. This can be adjusted on tone arms with a counter weight. When there is no way to control how much the needle rides on the surface of the record, too much force can be applied and the needle (which is a sharp piece of metal that can scratch the surface of the record) can slowly remove vinyl from groves. Yes, sound will still come out, but repeated playings will remove more and more from the grooves and over time, the record will be destroyed.

Insanely simplified answer, but I hope it helps explain it.

Haha that's crazy. I was born in '88, my country was still part of Yugoslavia back then, so naturally the first car I remember my parents owning was by the company that made these, because 98% of the population owned them. I had no idea they were exported to US at all, let alone that they'd be know/popular enough to be used in an idiom (the yugo / ferrari comparison is the exact same one we use here and I was sure it was completely culture-specific)...

You learn something new each day. :D

I was 12 when you were born, so there's that.

The Yugo here was considered more of a joke when I was younger. I remember the saying was, "You bought a Yugo?? More like You Go try and get your money back."

But then again...'Murica.

I never rode in one, but I had a 1968 VW Bug growing up and I loved it. That was half the reason I posted that advertisement. It was essentially the same idea. They were nowhere as popular as the Bug, but you would still see them around. They were essentially a VW Rabbit/Cabriolet of you didn't look closely.

* Had to edit that...I thought this was the cassette player thread.

Haha that's crazy. I was born in '88, my country was still part of Yugoslavia back then, so naturally the first car I remember my parents owning was by the company that made these, because 98% of the population owned them. I had no idea they were exported to US at all, let alone that they'd be know/popular enough to be used in an idiom (the yugo / ferrari comparison is the exact same one we use here and I was sure it was completely culture-specific)...

You learn something new each day. :D

We had Yugo's here as well, and Polski Fiat's and Lada's But what's making me feel old is that I have a car made the year you were born plus two more older ones and I remember the 88 one coming out when new.

Edit

Before I forget the AT60 is cack for the reasons skadaddy described plus the arm bearings on these things are usually very poor as well so you can wear your records excessive on the groove sidewalls which gets worse as it tracks in to the centre and you can't hear the damage until you play it on a proper turntable.

I think the times the problems with all the cheap plastic rubbish like the the AT60 have been described now must be in the hundreds, I know I'm into double figures on this subject and sadly the detail gets less each time because writing the same things over and over again does get a trifle taxing.

I think the times the problems with all the cheap plastic rubbish like the the AT60 have been described now must be in the hundreds, I know I'm into double figures on this subject and sadly the detail gets less each time because writing the same things over and over again does get a trifle taxing.

Maybe there should a be a thread stickied that simply states why NOT to buy a crosley or LP60 or the like. People do ask about this all the time and all they are really told is to see a thread that tells them to buy something better but a lot of them want to know why they should't just keep the crappy player they have since, to them, it works just fine.

OP - I used to have this TT, and while yes, it does function, that doesn't mean it is a good piece of equipment. No, your records won't be destroyed with one or two plays on it, but the longer you use it, the more wear and tear you are putting on your vinyl. Save up and get something a little better. The LP12 is a good step up if you want to stay with Audio Technica, but I would recommend the U-Turn Orbit or, of course, the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon.