Skipping question...

I got a new turntable (Pro-Ject Debut Carbon). It's a huge step up from my previous player, but it's more prone to skipping. Walking with a heavy foot across the room will cause a pretty bad skip.  The record player is sitting on top of my Expedit shelf and I know that's probably not recommended, but I don't really have anywhere else for it to go. Anyone have any suggestions? If I should move it somewhere else, where is a good place?

Yeah the weight is on the middle notch and the tracking force is set at 17.5, which is where it should be according to the Ortofon 2m red specs. Should I have put a bit more weight on the tone arm when I balanced it? I feel like it was in a pretty neutral position, but this is the first time I've set one up.

Well, I readjusted the tracking force to between 18 and 19. The Ortofon website actually recommended 18, but the range is 16-20. Walking no longer makes it skip, but running does, or stomping fairly hard on the floor does as well. I can live with it, but should it not skip even when running around, or is that normal?

Well it's tough to say how "normal" it is as it probably has more to do with the floor/cabinet that it does with the tonearm setup. If you don't have very sturdy floor you need to either find a solution to dampen the vibrations as much as possible or wall-mount the table. The second option is obviously the better one, but also more expensive.

You need isolation. Google turntable isolation for some tips.

And the Expedit is hollow wood. When I had mine in an expedit shelf, I put it on a heavy slab of granite to help.

Thanks for the suggestion! I did google turntable isolation and got some pretty good ideas, some way more in depth than I was willing to go. I went out and got a very heavy slab of marble for the turntable to sit on, as this seems to work for a lot of people. It works somewhat, but it still skips from things that I feel like shouldn't make it skip (general heavy walking close to the turntable).  So, I heard a lot about putting an inner tube underneath whatever platform your using for isolation. I bought a 12.5" inner tube and filled it just enough to hold the slab and my turntable, as suggested. Still skipping.  I feel at this point that I might just be nit picking, but with a turntable like this, I feel I should be able to stomp up and down wherever the hell I want without it skipping. 

with a turntable like this, I feel I should be able to stomp up and down wherever the hell I want without it skipping. 

It's kind of the opposite really.  the type of suspension/foundation required to completely isolate the platter/arm from an unfriendly environment out of the box costs $$,$$$.  I can walk around the room but I started running around stomping on my wooden floors, I would expect my turntable to skip.

Its not the table, its what the table is sitting on. These tables are meant to be on a solid surface. Besides the Expedit... how are your floors?

Also- you might have missed one of the best solutions...

177231-apollo_turntable_wall_shelf.jpg

You're totally right, it is the floors. I don't what made me think the TT had anything to do with it. The floors are pretty shaky and are wood. Other things on shelves tend to shake around and wobble when walking around normally.  

You're totally right, it is the floors. I don't what made me think the TT had anything to do with it. The floors are pretty shaky and are wood. Other things on shelves tend to shake around and wobble when walking around normally.  

EDIT:

The problem is actually still there. Literally just walking across the room can make a record skip. I have no idea what to do. Marble with inner tube didn't work really at all. Maybe a little. 

Did you already forget your previous post?

Floors. Get a shelf.

I understand its the floors, but it seems there should be something that could be done and I don't want to mount my turntable to the wall.  I edited the previous post because for some reason it seemed like the problem got worse. My previous record player had no issues with skipping. Was that probably because the tonearm was way too heavy? Anyway, I do appreciate the feedback.