As a newbie, how can I know when something is reallywrong with my rig and when I'm just being crazy?

For example, at the moment I'm noticing some ticks and other noise on my new records, especially when the music becomes quieter. I've tried cleaning them with a record brush, but some noise still remains along with some dust when I look with a light. It's also got me wondering if there could be anything wrong with my ProJect debut carbon or Bellari VP130 that I simply wouldn't know exists since I'm new and naive.

However, at the same time, I also don't know if these somewhat persistent but not severe ticks/slight noise are just something normal that I should just expect to encounter. For both this question and any others I might encounter, how can I best tell what's "normal" and what might require some actual concern?

Your stylus also needs to be cleaned from time to time!

As its only 5 days old, would that likely be related to the problem? And I've seen some different techniques people suggest for stylus cleaning, is there a particular way that would be good for me to do it without having any special tools at the moment?

Check your anti-skating/counter weight

could also possibly the records themselves have scratches in them

Even if they're brand new? Also when I'm saying ticks, I more mean minor crackles at quiet parts of the record, namely rests and or the space between songs. Is that normal or still should not be happening?

Well, those brushes don't clean records 100%. Also, in the pressing plates there's a fungicide that helps prevent mold. This can caused sounds imperfections. As can dust/dirt from the sleeve that isn't picked up by the brush.

Gotcha. My last question I guess would then be is there a way I can know if I have a static issue? A couple times, the mat has stuck to a record from static electricity, and if I brush my finger against the pin in the middle of the platter it will discharge a very small amount of static that is audible. I'm in a humid environment and believe my brush is anti-static so I'm not sure if that might be it.

I'm beginning to strongly suspect static may have something to do with it for a few reasons. I just introduced a Bellari VP130 into my setup, and I don't quite recall the problem beforehand, but I may have just not noticed it. But a few suspicious things are that my records are stuck to the mat by static after almost every play and if I touch the pin in the center of the platter or the platter itself, or simply move the mat around, I will hear a static tick that sounds exactly like what I'm hearing throughout my records. I live in a very humid climate so its not dry air, and I've been brushing my records with an antistatic brush before each play, but the static seems to keep recharging. Both my pre and TT are grounded. Perhaps something is off electrically somehow?

Sounds very much like static, that and some records do just pop occasionally. The description about records sticking to the mat is a bit of a giveaway.

Static is a real pain and if you are in the right conditions for static the action of playing a record can produce more static so you actually need to deal with it between sides when its at its worst.

There are many ways to get round it so you might want to look into a different mat or even an acrylic platter and or a zerostat if its being that much of a problem.

Edit

Just noticed ajxd has already suggested the same things

Sounds very much like static, that and some records do just pop occasionally. The description about records sticking to the mat is a bit of a giveaway.

Static is a real pain and if you are in the right conditions for static the action of playing a record can produce more static so you actually need to deal with it between sides when its at its worst.

There are many ways to get round it so you might want to look into a different mat or even an acrylic platter and or a zerostat if its being that much of a problem.

Edit

Just noticed ajxd has already suggested the same things

I guess my question would be why is my setup causing this much static in the first place? The mat and platter are what came with the Carbon, and I've not heard of this being a common problem with people who own this TT. My environment is not conducive to static so it just leaves me kind of baffled as to why this would be happening.

It's winter time, static is everywhere. Get a humidifier or an anti-static gun. I have the same issues you are describing right now and have narrowed it down to static. Shine a bright LED on your record and watch the dust clinging to it; your brush isn't doing anything to get rid of most of those. Get rid of the static and the dust will fall off, and your records will sound cleaner. 

It's winter time, static is everywhere. Get a humidifier or an anti-static gun. I have the same issues you are describing right now and have narrowed it down to static. Shine a bright LED on your record and watch the dust clinging to it; your brush isn't doing anything to get rid of most of those. Get rid of the static and the dust will fall off, and your records will sound cleaner. 

I live in Florida where the humidity is high and the temperature is still 80, would it still be causing all this static?

I live in Florida where the humidity is high and the temperature is still 80, would it still be causing all this static?

Do you get shocked touching random metal things this time of year around your house? If your records are sticking to your slip mat with static, then there's no doubt that same static is making dust stick and causing surface noise. You could try a cork slip mat if you don't think it's your environment. 

I just wet cleaned my record and it still had lots of ticks between songs right after. Is that still an effect of the Carbons static problem?

It could be a million things.. it could be soap residue, it could be water in the grooves if it hasn't dried for a long enough time, it could be static, it could be dust...

I can't hear it, so I'm not sure if what you're describing is even abnormal. Vinyl records DO make sounds. Even if you vacuum clean it and put it on an acrylic platter with a brand new cartridge you're gonna hear a little surface noise in the quiet parts, it is part of the appeal.

It could be a million things.. it could be soap residue, it could be water in the grooves if it hasn't dried for a long enough time, it could be static, it could be dust...

I can't hear it, so I'm not sure if what you're describing is even abnormal. Vinyl records DO make sounds. Even if you vacuum clean it and put it on an acrylic platter with a brand new cartridge you're gonna hear a little surface noise in the quiet parts, it is part of the appeal.

Okay I've just been a bit confused because I've heard conflicting reports between people saying "its a part of vinyl" and "imperfections should be minimal, my favorite records only have 2 ticks on a side". I can handle the noise just fine I just want to know that everything is as it should be. Is it possible that static is manifesting itself as noise in a way other than attracting additional dust?

Okay I've just been a bit confused because I've heard conflicting reports between people saying "its a part of vinyl" and "imperfections should be minimal, my favorite records only have 2 ticks on a side". I can handle the noise just fine I just want to know that everything is as it should be. Is it possible that static is manifesting itself as noise in a way other than attracting additional dust?

I've got a fairly strong feeling it's normal and you're just hypersensitive to it right now because it's new. I could be wrong though, the only way I think anyone could help further is if you were able to capture the sound on video and upload to YouTube for us.

Outside of that maybe have a friend who collects come over and have a listen?

I've got a fairly strong feeling it's normal and you're just hypersensitive to it right now because it's new. I could be wrong though, the only way I think anyone could help further is if you were able to capture the sound on video and upload to YouTube for us.

Outside of that maybe have a friend who collects come over and have a listen?

this.

you'll get use to the little imperfections, you'll start to not notice them... you'll start to miss them when you listen to a digital copy.  It'll take time, but it will happen.  Take good care of your gear and records.  Clean properly, maintain and store properly.  Imperfections can vary from the very rare and minor to the whole album being unlistenable.. enjoy the hobby!

There's a video just to show you guys what I'm talking about specifically. Around :30 on is the type of tick I'm mainly experiencing. There can be more or less individual ticks then that usually, and I almost always hear it between tracks, even on freshly cleaned records. Thanks all!