Newb ? - What is the best <$700 setup for a small office?

Since we're comparing the Pro-Ject Debut and U-Turn....

If I were to upgrade the U-Turn with a Grado Blue cart and acrylic platter, it's roughly the same price as the Debut Carbon (with the Ortofon Red).  $40 less, I guess.  I would lean towards the Debut Carbon at that point, but is the acrylic platter a really nice thing to have? 

I haven't heard an Orbit so I'm going on instinct here but I can't help thinking a turntable with an acrylic platter and a unipivot arm is going to sound better than the Project that has neither so I would try and listen to both before spending any money.

As I say I heaven't heard an orbit and they might be total cack but I have heard a fair few Projects and apart from the odd one or two none of the lower end ones below the RPM range impress me for the money. I have a feeling that they all suffer from the same problem that the original Revolver Rebel did in that the main bearing and the sub and main platter material are not great, that said obviously the addition of an acrylic platter can help.

Amazon has the Yellow version of the Carbon for $350.  http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Debut-Carbon-Yellow-Turntable/dp/B0080EKG6Q

The yellow version is a little loud, but I think it's actually kind of cool.  

I'd like to pull the trigger soon on a turntable (particularly if I go with the U-Turn since there's a 7-week wait).  Any final advice between these two:

Pro-ject Carbon ($350-$400) vs U-Turn Orbit Plus (upgraded with Grado Blue, Acrylic platter, and cue) for $399?

Fremer calls the Debut Carbon superior, but only based on the $179 version.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/u-turn%E2%80%99s-remarkable-179-orbit-turntable-crosley-killer

I haven't heard the Orbit, but I love my Debut Carbon. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Couple that with the fact that there's a 7-week lead time on the Orbit and I think you've got your answer.

Because Grado is all I know (I'm currently running a Technics BD-27 (late 80's/early 90's model) with a Grado Black cartridge (and, due to a neighbor kid, a Grado Blue stylus replacement) - what is the biggest difference between Grado and Ortofon?  From some of what I've read, some people call Grado "warm" and "dull" while others complain about Ortofon being "too bright?"  

My Grado seems to sound fine - but of course it's not the greatest TT setup, so assuming the Orbit is a dramatically nicer TT, I would assume it would sound much better there.

Again, thanks for helping a newbie out.

The debut carbon is a great entry/mid-range table and I would wager a bet that it is better than the U-turn by comparison (although I've only heard the cheap U-turn table at a friend's place so I can't comment on the more expensive model).  I had a carbon for a little over a year and really liked the use I got out of it.  It's a super popular table on this forum and most people have nothing but good things to say about it.

To some people, those cartridges may sound that way and that's how they describe the sound.  Everyone's ears are different.  There are no right or wrong answers in audio.  To some people, crosley turntables and 128kbps mp3 files sound great.  If you like your current cartridge then you can always try to it out on a newer table a do a comparison; Listen for yourself and decide what you like.  Having a better table is the starting point, a cartridge upgrade is always nice because you aren't as limited in choices by the table and it will have a pretty big sonic impact on your listening experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so... picked up the TT today.  The fine folks at Needle Doctor sold me a floor model Pro-Ject 1Xpression III for $350.  Not bad!!  So my $700 goal might actually still happen - or come close.

Now I just need to decide on "the other stuff."  A reminder - this is for a small office, and I'll be listening to headphones more than anything else.  Tardcore had suggested looking at Schiit headphone amps, and I like what I see.  Also, eventually, I think I'll pick up a DAC so I can listen to music from my MacBook.

So - three options, please help me decide what makes the most sense (or what you'd do):

1) Phono Stage (Schiit Mani or other suggestions?) +
Schiit Magni Uber (or Asgard, there's a used one on my local Craigslist - is the Asgard a much wiser choice for a guy with ATH-m40X's?) +
Powered speakers (the ones I'm leaning towards, for budgetary reasons, are the new Micca powered speakers which are getting great reviews)
$380

2) Bellari VP130 +
Powered Speakers (I see the downfall to this setup as being tougher to integrate a DAC in at some point - true or no?)
$375

3) Integrated Amp with Phono Stage (examples: Marantz PM5004 or NAD 3120, among others)
Passive speakers (Andrew Jones Pioneers are what I'd probably get)

$380 if I got a refurbed Marantz 

Thanks again for all of your help guys!!  Really appreciate it!

I guess the simpler question would be: which option would provide the best SQ through headphones?

Bellari VP130

Schiit Asgard + phono stage

Schiit Magni + phono stage

built-in headphone amp of Marantz pm5004

built-in headphone amp of Cambridge Audio Azur 351a + phono stage

I threw the last option in as I then wouldn't need to get a separate DAC + switch down the road.

If you have the space I'd go with an integrated amp as you always have expansion possibilities and if you don't and do want to run speakers you either have to add some sort of power amp or go down the powered monitor route. But if space is tight and you can't fit in an integrated go with something that is effectively modular like the Schiit or Project equipment.

Also as a gamble some of the Chinese Dac's have line inputs and headphone outs and some of the Chinese headphone amps have multiple inputs but how good they are is pot luck, some are superb and some are cack. I've got a little Chinese valve (tube) headphone amp that is absolutely superb but that was definitely more luck than judgement on my part.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently did my first setup at a similar price point.

$250 on a used SL-1200

about $100 in upgrades to spiff it up a bit, replace the few missing bits.

$160 for 2x SP-FS52-LR when they were on sale a few weeks ago.

$80 on a SMSL SA-60 (TPA3116) amp

$40 on a ART DJ PRE phono preamp.

$140 for a AT440MLa cart/stylus.

Very nice!!  I pretty much have finished off my budget setup.  Moving into the new office this weekend, so I need to pick up my turntable (sitting at Needle Doctor 5 minutes down the road) and we're good to go.

Here's the setup:

Pro-Ject 1 Xpression III Classic (slightly used from the Needle Doctor) - $350

Bellari VP130 pre-amp / headphone amp with upgraded power / tube - $220 (eBay)

Micca PB42x powered speakers - $100

So at $670, I was able to pull off the exact feat I set out to do, a capable small office setup for under $700!!  

(and then I went ahead and bought a Pro-Ject speed box for $130 anyway.  And speaker wire / cables put me over $800.  Still, I really like what I ended up putting together)

Now I want to get a value DAC and RCA switch (so I don't need to futz with cables).  But that's for another thread....