Newb ? - What is the best <$700 setup for a small office?

Looking for advice from you fine folks:

I am moving to a new office and want to set up the "most ideal" TT setup I can there.

I suspect I will listen to headphones 2/3 of the time (already have the headphones), and through speakers the other 1/3. It doesn't need to be loud (it's a small office after all).

TOP priority is overall sound quality, clearest, crispest sound I can get.

HOWEVER, there are budgetary limits of course. I really don't want to spend too much more than $300-$400 on the TT. Then the rest of the components can't be too much either. Let's say an overall budget of no more than $600-$700 or so.  This is likely something I can expense - so I'd also be buying new (as opposed to Craigslist).

I've seen the recent article on VMP about setups for under $1000. That was a good read and good starting point, I just wanted to see if anyone else has a specific setup that they love that meets these parameters.

So in summary, TT + speakers + whatever will allow me to listen through headphones (preamp and/or receiver), best sound possible, small office, under $700.

I might be asking for a lot, but any advice would be great!!

Oh, I will also add, I currently have an older Technics at home, and I do like the fact that it is automatic, and has the 33/45 switch. I don't listen to a ton of 45s, but the idea of having to manually switch cables to do so isn't the most appealing thing.

I don't think that's a thing. Moving a belt from one notch to another is most common.

Under $700, all you're gonna get is a table that is as grounded as a sheet of wet cardboard and a needle that sounds like oh my god listen to me am I really doing this with my life is this what I imagined my 30s would be how did I get here why can't I go back why can't I go back

If your top priority is clearest, crispest sound... You need more than $700. Even buying used.

It does depend on what your perception of cleanest crispest sound is and It is possible used but it would need an enormous amount of luck to pick up some high end kit for no money or to get it donated to you by an ageing audiophile relative that is going a bit deaf.

$700 is... doable. It won't be perfect though. If you go cheaper on the turntable, listening through headphones might be quite fatiguing. If you go cheaper on the speakers, forget about crisp and clean sound, regardless of what your definition of that is.

Here are some options I'd consider if it was my money and sound was the priority:

A: use the current table, spend $300 on a good dac/headamp unit and grab a pair of used active monitors for $400. Listen mostly to digital, sometimes records (preferably through speakers), upgrade the table after a while.

B: grab a new RP1 or a Debut Carbon DC or a RPM1 Carbon, add a $100 headphone amp and some $200 computer speakers. You'll spend most of your time listening to records through headphones and rarely even turn on the speakers.

C: buy everything used. You might balance the budget just right to get an acceptable performance across the board.

All of these are with assumption that you already have a phono stage and a pair of good headphones.

Basically what Slinch Said

Carbon DC from Musician's Friend -  ~$380

Schiit Mani - $130 (phono preamp)

Schiit Magni - $100 (headphone amp)

alternative phono preamp/headphone combo

Bellari VP130 - $220

Leaves you a little bit of cash to add some powered PC type speakers if you do not already have some or just hold off until you can pick up an amp/speakers.

What if I were to add the AudioEngines to the above setup?  

I'm assuming that puts you over budget.  how much over budget will vary depending on which model you are referring to.

If you DO wind up going with powered PC type speakers (like the AudioEngine A2+s) it would probably be worthwhile to step up to the Schiit Magni 2 Uber.  It adds a preamp output and switching so you can swap between speakers/headphone without disconnecting cables.

Ok another dumb question, Would a Technics SL-1200MK2 for around $300 (assuming it's in good shape of course) be a better bet than the tables suggested above?  

maybe.  it's a different style table and will likely need some work/new parts/fiddling to get up to the level of playback that it is capable of.

$700 is... doable. It won't be perfect though. If you go cheaper on the turntable, listening through headphones might be quite fatiguing. If you go cheaper on the speakers, forget about crisp and clean sound, regardless of what your definition of that is.

Here are some options I'd consider if it was my money and sound was the priority:

A: use the current table, spend $300 on a good dac/headamp unit and grab a pair of used active monitors for $400. Listen mostly to digital, sometimes records (preferably through speakers), upgrade the table after a while.

B: grab a new RP1 or a Debut Carbon DC or a RPM1 Carbon, add a $100 headphone amp and some $200 computer speakers. You'll spend most of your time listening to records through headphones and rarely even turn on the speakers.

C: buy everything used. You might balance the budget just right to get an acceptable performance across the board.

All of these are with assumption that you already have a phono stage and a pair of good headphones.

True I hadn't thought about the headphone option.

I've also had a re think on doing it as a used option. For the UK market it would not be that difficult and I expect it can be replicated elsewhere by substituting with more market specific kit:

Systemdeck IIX or Rega Planer 3 or Linn Basik (roughly $160 to $250 and assumes it comes with a half decent cartridge)

Cambridge Audio A5 to A500 or possibly C500/P500 at a push (roughly $100 to $200)

Phono stage built in if you are lucky but if not Musical Fidelity XLPs ($160)

Kef Coda 7 Speakers ($100)

Easy under budget and I reckon I could make a decent system using that lot with some hard bargaining for way less than $500

Ok another dumb question, Would a Technics SL-1200MK2 for around $300 (assuming it's in good shape of course) be a better bet than the tables suggested above?  

The SL1200 has a high value because of it's usage not really because of it's audio performance. You can buy other similar SL1??? turntables for less money and you can buy other tables for $300 or less that have a more audio performance.

I'd only consider a SL1200 if I were buying a pair and opening a club

used is a gamble if you're new to analog.  yes, you can do better for the $, but you can also wind up with a lemon.  How many threads are out there with a dude who basically says "I don't really know what I'm doing but I bought this vintage _______ and it doesn't work." and the only answer is "yeah, throw that away and try again".

used is a gamble if you're new to analog.  yes, you can do better for the $, but you can also wind up with a lemon.  How many threads are out there with a dude who basically says "I don't really know what I'm doing but I bought this vintage _______ and it doesn't work." and the only answer is "yeah, throw that away and try again".

You may get lucky though, depending on the honesty of the user in relation to how much the equipment was actually used. If someone tells me it was used 'a lot' or 'was in a closet for a while', I might be suspicious, but if I'm using something like http://www.usaudiomart.com, or http://ukaudiomart.com), there is feedback based on selling on there. And they usually have a better idea of equipment's history, and may perhaps show you how it works. This is a step up from a random Craigslist ad for someone's grandma's old turntable with no knowledge of how many cats have taken a ride on the table.  Perhaps also consider buying used from a hi-fi shop where they can guarantee functionality, and at least walk you through how it might work.