Question on Snoop Dogg "Doggystyle" pressings

chils123

Been looking to pick up a copy of this album and I've seen a pretty recent pressings that "proudly" display across the front of the sleeve that it's been "Digitally Remastered".

................uh, huh? Seems counter productive with a vinyl release but alright.

Is this pressing worth picking up being that it's more readily available or should I search out a copy from before those reissues came out?

https://wiki.xiph.org/Digital_Show_and_Tell/Episode_02

You would never have known if they hadn't told you. A digital audio signal is literally indistinguishable from an analog signal at sufficient bitrates (16/44 is fine for most adults). Besides, 99% of all rap records produced post-MPC utilize digital sampling in some facet of production, if not the entirety. The vocals might be recorded straight to tape, but in the end what difference does it make? We're not talking about Steely Dan. Rap isn't an audiophile's genre.

• 2 weeks later...

https://wiki.xiph.org/Digital_Show_and_Tell/Episode_02

You would never have known if they hadn't told you. A digital audio signal is literally indistinguishable from an analog signal at sufficient bitrates (16/44 is fine for most adults). Besides, 99% of all rap records produced post-MPC utilize digital sampling in some facet of production, if not the entirety. The vocals might be recorded straight to tape, but in the end what difference does it make? We're not talking about Steely Dan. Rap isn't an audiophile's genre.

Strongly disagree with you on this. Lots of producers do all sorts of studio fuckery to get the exact sound they want and that means experimenting with different mics, boards, etc. Dre even went and chose two different tape machines for different aspects of 2001 (which WAS recorded analog, as were most rap recordings up until the early 2000's, aside from the use of digital samplers as an instrument)

Just because the main audience isn't the same target market for Lyra cartridges doesn't mean rap can't or shouldn't sound great. Ideally, wouldn't we all want to get close to the sound originally heard behind the board?

It doesn't matter what the record is, if I like the music, I would rather spend my money wisely on the best sounding pressing, even if it means spending a bit more than what it would cost to get what's readily available. I can't blame OP for trying to make the right purchase.

This isn't the first time we've disagreed on this type of matter here, but digital copies of original master tapes are easily distinguishable from the real thing, especially at 16/44. Every single time.

If we wanted digital we could just get the CD, most of us happen to know where record stores are or are at least familiar with sites like discogs.

Strongly disagree with you on this. Lots of producers do all sorts of studio fuckery to get the exact sound they want and that means experimenting with different mics, boards, etc. Dre even went and chose two different tape machines for different aspects of 2001 (which WAS recorded analog, as were most rap recordings up until the early 2000's, aside from the use of digital samplers as an instrument)

Just because the main audience isn't the same target market for Lyra cartridges doesn't mean rap can't or shouldn't sound great. Ideally, wouldn't we all want to get close to the sound originally heard behind the board?

It doesn't matter what the record is, if I like the music, I would rather spend my money wisely on the best sounding pressing, even if it means spending a bit more than what it would cost to get what's readily available. I can't blame OP for trying to make the right purchase.

This isn't the first time we've disagreed on this type of matter here, but digital copies of original master tapes are easily distinguishable from the real thing, especially at 16/44. Every single time.

If we wanted digital we could just get the CD, most of us happen to know where record stores are or are at least familiar with sites like discogs.

Just couldn't let this thread die, could you? How deep did you have to dig to even find this? No one has posted in it for 10 days.

Just couldn't let this thread die, could you? How deep did you have to dig to even find this? No one has posted in it for 10 days.

It's easy to go back dozens of pages worth of threads when you're ignoring all of the PO: SUM 41, PO: ALIEN ANT FARM, PO: NORAH JONES, PO: ANGELS & AIRWAVES, threads that make up the majority of this forum that you have no interest in.

It's easy to go back dozens of pages worth of threads when you're ignoring all of the PO: SUM 41, PO: ALIEN ANT FARM, PO: NORAH JONES, PO: ANGELS & AIRWAVES, threads that make up the majority of this forum that you have no interest in.

Yeah, this. I haven't had the chance to come on here in about that long so I only just saw this now. But even if I'm away for a long time or whatever I take an hour out of my day and go back as far as I have to, whenever I can.

Coming back to the states after being away for a few weeks at the beginning of the year sucked, I missed out on S O much stuff online hahah. I came back to like 70+ pages of unfolding ETR mysteries, that took me a good couple of nights to finally read through.

Yeah, this. I haven't had the chance to come on here in about that long so I only just saw this now. But even if I'm away for a long time or whatever I take an hour out of my day and go back as far as I have to, whenever I can.

Coming back to the states after being away for a few weeks at the beginning of the year sucked, I missed out on S O much stuff online hahah. I came back to like 70+ pages of unfolding ETR mysterys, that took me a good couple of nights to finally read through.

Oh shit! Yeah, that ETR thread was bonkers. I'm sorry you missed out on it!

Was there an Alien Ant Farm thread?, haha this must be hyperbole.