Beer industry

dmac8706

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone on here is in the beer industry. Im curious about what job you perform with in the brewery and how you got into it. Also wondering what the career path is for this type of industry. I get my associates this year in business and will be transferring to a CalState university afterwards but I have a strong interest in craft beer. Also If you went to any type of schooling or received certificates for training that may have got your foot in the door. I don't know if there are many people in this industry, let alone a veteran that maybe used their GI Bill for classes. Thanks again guys.

You looking to be a brewer or just work somewhere in the industry?

I think being a brewer would be cool. I'd like to start somewhere in the industry. I just don't want to keep going to college for something I may not like and I have a big interest in the craft beer microbrewery field. I found that SDSU offers 10 certificates and classes that total about 3,000 dollars. Are you a brewer or work at a brewery?

This was an OG VC joke. Don't worry about not getting it.

Like others have said, getting into the industry depends on what you intend to do. Also the size of the brewery has a big impact on the type of experience needed.

I honestly haven't heard anything from SHR since they put out the ETID and Norma Jean box set. Yea for sure. It seems like a real thriving industry down here in Southern California.

I have a handful of friends brewing in the industry. I work in a "trade" so to speak, so I can give you a little advice based on my experience, I expect it will be similar within the beer industry. I do have a couple of friends brewing so I have so anecdotal evidence to support my opinion. 

When I'm hiring for a position where the output yields a tangible product, be it beer or art, I'm not particularly interested in an academic background. However, if all things are equal, that can be the tipping point. College spends a lot of time on theory, which is great, but when placing someone for a job, the execution is what matters. So, I don't expect a certificate to open many doors. If there is some type of 4-year degree that has a "practice-based" curriculum (e.g. x hours working in a real brewery) than that could be worth it. You'd have to get someone from the industry to comment on how they view graduates with beer degrees. I'd imagine that market is pretty saturated right now.

I'd wager you have a couple of options. One, start home-brewing. If you're good, like really good, you might be able to turn that into a junior position at a brewery and work your way up. I'd expect this to take years, just like any self-taught trade.

Two, find a small brewery and take ANY job there. Smaller organizations tend to be less silo'd, so even your job isn't brewing related, the opportunities to sit in and learn from the brewers would probably be there. You'd get the same amount of knowledge, if not more, in a few months helping the brewers that you probably would in any course you could take. 

Be prepared to take an unpaid internship. I wish it wasn't true but they really can be a great start. That is how I got my first job. Long story short,  I don't think there is a single career path. You should start brewing yourself as soon as possible and then start looking for anywhere that will let you be involved in any capacity in their brewing process. Honestly, right now you just flat-out want experience and knowledge.

If you haven't spent a ton of time brewing I'd get my hands dirty before I committed to any school. You might find home-brewing scratches the itch. I've spent a decent amount of this in breweries and brother, that shit ain't glamorous. 

As a friend of those working in the craft beer industry, I can say that working in the brewing/alcohol industry is similar to a lot of dream job industries (record labels, magazines, tattoo shops); meaning, you have to be willing to start from the very bottom, dedicating yourself with little to no pay, in order to achieve long-standing success.  Like others have said, start brewing yourself, even if it merely becomes a great hobby in the future.  Start networking, make new friends in the industry, get out there and schmooze.  Good luck to you.