Bizarre or Fake Electric Ladyland / Hendrix LP

Hi Everybody,

I’ve just came back from Stockholm where I finally bought myself this vynil (Electric Ladyland by Jimi Hendrix).

It seems to be a German edition by Polydor.

The strange thing is that the sides have been mixed, in other words: the vinyl starts off with “And the gods made love” and in the other side I’ve got “Rainy Day Dream Away” which is actually the side B of the second disc, not the first.

Anyways, is this a fake vinyl? Has anybody heard about this issue?

Clearly I can’t come back to Sweden to change it L

I think that was a common practice for double records back in the day. I think early UK presses had it that way.

Thanks for answering!

Yes, in fact English is not my first language, so I apologize if I make some mistakes. By "fake" I meant "not an original hendrix vinyl". Do you guys think it's the case?

What do you mean by “common practice”? Was it a common mistake back then?

How can I know if it’s actually a bootleg? Frankly it sounds incredible and the actual vinyl is in perfect conditions. 

What do you mean by “common practice”? Was it a common mistake back then?

If memory serves, this was for DJs. You could play side A and cue up side B on a second turntable so you could play through without a delay while you had to stop it, lift the needle, etc.

I guess in olden times, they like to play whole albums.

I don't think English is their first language, so maybe we should hold off on poking fun of him/her.

Edit: OK I get it. LP1 A side/C side LP2 B side/D side. Yes, this was common practice for 2xLP's back in the day. Sounds legit.

That’s exactly it! LP1 A side/C side LP2 B side/D side.

So basically you don’t think I got ripped off? It’s actually an original vinyl?

Do you think it’s actually from the 60’s? It’s made in Germany and the label is Polydor.

If memory serves, this was for DJs. You could play side A and cue up side B on a second turntable so you could play through without a delay while you had to stop it, lift the needle, etc.

I guess in olden times, they like to play whole albums.

It was also much more convenient for the "fully-automatic" setups of the 70s, which could queue up albums similarly on one turntable. You'd play the A/C record while the B/D one was loaded and ready, and then it would drop down and play side B after A finished. You'd have to manually switch to C, but then D would follow. 

It was a big deal. Peter Frampton's Frampton Comes Alive was the first record to be pressed this way, I believe. So your copy of Electric Ladyland probably is not from the first pressing but is more than likely genuine. Nice score, if it sounds good!

Edit: I stand corrected. The first German pressing of Electric Ladyland was pressed in the A/C B/D format after all. Good find!

Edit 2: It's actually A/D B/C, which I suppose makes more sense for "auto-coupling" (the official term for that mechanism I talked about earlier). Still, it's probably from the first pressing. Check the catalog numbers against the link I provided to make sure.

This is really common even on LP sets back from the 50's. Just how it was done.

That said, there are a lot of fakes of this out there, all of them coming out of Europe. Was it cheap? That's a major red flag. If you could post pictures + a detailed description of the matrix number, that's the only way we can really tell you anything of it's provenance.

Hi ! Thanks for answering!

I’ll try to give you all the information I have in order to know if it’s actually a fake one:

POLYDOR / 2LP . 2612 002

Printed In Germany – Imprimé en Allemagne by Gerhard Kaiser GmbH, Essen – Manufactured by Deutsche Grammophon, Hamburg

The vinyl have this number on them: Vinyl 1) 184 184 Vinyl 2) 184 183

Sorry, I can’t seem to be able to upload pictures :/

Hi ! Thanks for answering!

I’ll try to give you all the information I have in order to know if it’s actually a fake one:

POLYDOR / 2LP . 2612 002

Printed In Germany – Imprimé en Allemagne by Gerhard Kaiser GmbH, Essen – Manufactured by Deutsche Grammophon, Hamburg

The vinyl have this number on them: Vinyl 1) 184 184 Vinyl 2) 184 183

Sorry, I can’t seem to be able to upload pictures :/

Only "184" or "183" is inscribed in the matrix on each disc?

I have a 7 LP boxset of Beethoven's 9 symphonies, and it's set up this way Side1/14 Side 2/13 etc.  Would actually be nice to have a turntable like that sometimes, you could have continuous music for hours. I suppose too if you wanted to be really lazy you could just have 2 copies of every album and stack them so you wouldn't have to deal with flipping.  The first turntable I used was my parents old one that had this function but it was broke so it was just annoying to get the albums on and off the spindle.