Your thoughts on represses in general

let's keep this elite, guys. is this how i'm to be rewarded for my efforts? i wake up every morning and check Record Label X's webstore to see if my favorite band's LP is available for preorder yet. i check it throughout the morning while at work. i check on lunch. i check a few more times throughout the day, and always before bed. sometimes this repeats for days, even weeks on end. and im ok with that. i enjoy it, actually.

and when i finally snag the rarest color of that new LP ive been waiting so patiently on, and i finally feel that sense of accomplishment, i'd rather not have it be followed up with a slap in the face disguised as a repress of 1000 a few months later.

your turn.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let's keep this elite, guys. is this how i'm to be rewarded for my efforts? i wake up every morning and check Record Label X's webstore to see if my favorite band's LP is available for preorder yet. i check it throughout the morning while at work. i check on lunch. i check a few more times throughout the day, and always before bed. sometimes this repeats for days, even weeks on end. and im ok with that. i enjoy it, actually.

and when i finally snag the rarest color of that new LP ive been waiting so patiently on, and i finally feel that sense of accomplishment, i'd rather not have it be followed up with a slap in the face disguised as a repress of 1000 a few months later.

your turn.

I hear what you are saying, but let me pose the other side of the equation. Let's say that someone who loves a certain band wasn't in the know to know that copies were sold on a site and those copies sold out entirely on the site and no copies were sent to stores where this person would likely buy it. If there are a ton of people who missed out on a certain title, don't you think that some repress should happen so that there are others who get it? I think about how quickly the minus the bear planet of ice went and as a big minus the bear fan, I would have been devastated not to get a copy.

im totally fine with represses, as long as they are totally discernable from the original pressing. As a label i'd rather have kids who just want "a" copy of the record able to get one for retail... then watch others get fat off the work the band and myself did. Its kinda a bitch to see stuff you released go for obscene money on ebay...when you made almost nothing off pressing it in the first place.

as a collector.. i like options... while its cool to have that record that no one else has... a couple represess never hurt no one. after all you still do have the "rare first pressing" right?

i'd like to add an amendment:

brand new sucks, and i hope the labels responsible for releasing that garbage represses their shitty records 1000x over so all the people who paid hundreds of dollars for their crappy records on ebay can now dedicate their funds to items a little more worthwhile, like large stocks of thumbtacks, or dick-shaped drinking straws.

kidding.

sort of.

your turn.

I hear what you are saying, but let me pose the other side of the equation. Let's say that someone who loves a certain band wasn't in the know to know that copies were sold on a site and those copies sold out entirely on the site and no copies were sent to stores where this person would likely buy it. If there are a ton of people who missed out on a certain title, don't you think that some repress should happen so that there are others who get it? I think about how quickly the minus the bear planet of ice went and as a big minus the bear fan, I would have been devastated not to get a copy.

I totally hear what you're saying Virg.

i think as few people as possible should be allowed to hear the music.

seriously though, i dont mind represses so much. Im only attempting to collect a few smaller bands releases right now, so i dont know if i even have much room to talk. But it seem that most of the thrill is in the hunt. and after youve completed your collection, what next? you're done and bored, right? The represses keep that hunt alive and make it all the more impressive when your collection is done.

I'm torn when it comes to represses. I guess it depends on the band, genre, etc. Take, for example, Screeching Weasel (my favorite band and the one band I try my damnedest to get every pressing, color, variation). Recess Records is going to repress all of the SW LPs, and I'm thrilled about that. I currently have every pressing of BoogadaBoogadaBoogada. I bought them all years ago, cheap I'm dying to see what Recess does with the artwork, vinyl colors, mixes, etc. Plus, it will give newbies a chance to hear a great album on vinyl that they'd have to shell out some bucks to own if they want one of the originals.

However, if there is a record I worked hard to get and shelled out big bucks for an original pressing...let's use Deja Entendu as an example (I don't have it, but have seen them go for nice chunks of change on ebay), it would really bother me if it was repressed.

I think represses will happen as long as there is demand for the record. However, I do think it gets a little excessive in some cases (are you listening, No Idea?).

let's not forget robotic empire.

Yeah, but they're not nearly as bad a No Idea. 17 represses of one record? RIDICULOUS. And at least RE picks some cool colors. No Idea grey -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

i'd like to add an amendment:

brand new sucks, and i hope the labels responsible for releasing that garbage represses their shitty records 1000x over so all the people who paid hundreds of dollars for their crappy records on ebay can now dedicate their funds to items a little more worthwhile, like large stocks of thumbtacks, or dick-shaped drinking straws.

kidding.

sort of.

+1 all the way

Yeah, but they're not nearly as bad a No Idea. 17 represses of one record? RIDICULOUS. And at least RE picks some cool colors. No Idea grey -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

true. with no idea, i think vinyl represses are the only thing keeping that label afloat

The reason it keeps getting repressed is it sells out every month. Thats got to be No Idea's best selling record of all time. You honestly think they're going to stop pressing it if they keep selling?

true. with no idea, i think vinyl represses are the only thing keeping that label afloat

Dude, yer joking right? They put out TONS of new records all the time. They just get a lot of slack on here for continually repressing RAR, but trust me, they're not staying afloat because of AM! and HWM represses (most of the other records they repress are usually out of print for a long while before they are repressed).

The reason it keeps getting repressed is it sells out every month. Thats got to be No Idea's best selling record of all time. You honestly think they're going to stop pressing it if they keep selling?

No, I don't think so. But not because it's the "right thing to do." Hyperrealist could easily repress the Baroness stuff and it would sell out, but they don't/haven't. Hydra Head could easily repress the Botch stuff and it would sell out, but they don't/haven't. That's not the point.

As long as there is a demand for the record, and the lable wants to keep pressing or rather, repressing the record, this will always happen.

Part of me does get upset when a record that I searched for and spent some money to get, is repressed. But another part is OK with it because maybe I wouldn't have been able to get it due to excessive aftermarket prices and whatnot.

Everyone here is making valid points about this issue. You can either get mad about it...or just move on and enjoy the music.

let's be honest here: we're collectors.

collectors dont want everyone to have what they have.

from a label standpoint, i get it.

from a collector standpoint, represses are lame.

if i miss the boat on something, tracking a copy down at a reasonable price is even more fun than refreshing a website all day, waiting for a preorder.

like i said before i like the way fat wreck handles it. If you are on board and get one at the begining you get color copies. all other copies will be on black. that way no one will miss out. I know fat is doing represses now, and kinda wish they would only repress the albums that were not origianlly pressed on color.

Dude, yer joking right? They put out TONS of new records all the time. They just get a lot of slack on here for continually repressing RAR, but trust me, they're not staying afloat because of AM! and HWM represses (most of the other records they repress are usually out of print for a long while before they are repressed).

name a band on NO Idea (besides HWM or AM!) that sells more than 2000 copies of their records. i'll wait.

name a band on NO Idea (besides HWM or AM!) that sells more than 2000 copies of their records. i'll wait.

small brown bike

dillinger four

coalesce

j church

less than jake

planes mistaken for stars