Complete Snuffy Smiles 7" Collection

One of my best friends was on tour with OWTH on that trip and I still remember when she came back my other friend and I took her to dinner. The whole time she complained about the trip. According to her it was more than him just screwing them out of money. He was sexist and just an overall douchebag. I'm not going to get into it more than that because I have nothing against the dude, cause I don't know him and it's not my place to air out anyone's dirty laundry, but I trust the story of one of my close friends over dumb hearsay.

i dunno, i've heard two sides of this story... OWTH saying that hes sexist and all of that, but i was also told that on the japan tour jenny 15 just kinda showed up in japan (yoichi didnt know she was coming) and durring the whole tour they'd just sleep in and slack when they needed to get up early and get moving. just kind of a general slack thing. dude just kinda got annoyed with the situation, but didnt really say anything sexist or anything like that.

guess kind of the same thing as people getting annoyed when other band members girlfriends come along on tour.

Jenny had told me as soon as he saw her he flipped out. The vibe she got was Yoichi is in control because that's what he does and that's the way he's always done it. He's the one that books the tours and shuttles them around Japan and leads them around. He didn't like it when she was there and she was supposed to be a tour manager. FYI, Ryan and Jenny weren't really dating at the time, so she wasn't there as a girlfriend. Jenny admitted that they did slack and stuff because they were disgusted by how he treated them right off the bat.

I dunno, like I said, I don't know Yoichi or anything, but Jenny is a very close friend of mine so I trust her side of the story.

• 1 year later...

I've known Yoichi for about 20 years and he's always been real good, I would trust him with my life savings (if I had any) I've never heard him be sexist in all that time, and I've toured with him a few times. Its a completely different culture in Japan to the USA or Europe though so I can see how misunderstandings can happen.

As for Frankie shitting his pants (WTF!!!) if you piss Frankie off it's more likely that you'll be shitting in your pants rather than the other way round, thats just wrong!

Amazing Snuffy Smile collection, well done, I have about 5 and thought that was good!

It's certainly something I would think about, Greg from Go-Kart gave us back the rights to the record so it could happen. We did the latest LP on vinyl, Armchair Supporters (although it was coloured vinyl even though I protested and wanted black!), but the CD sales were far better than the vinyl sales this time and it's so expensive to do vinyl that it looks likely the next album might be CD only, which would be sad. Maybe next year I might look at doing the first album, it would be nice Tim you're right.

Would definitely love that first record on vinyl, Si. I like the new one a lot, but the first one has some serious anthems on it (that I was hoping for in Newport, alas they didn't make an appearance!)... great album though. As for Snuffy Smile, I have dealt with Yoichi and I personally found it a bit weird. I licensed the first I EXCUSE album, repackaged it, and sent the band 200 copies, which was the deal. Probably sold a couple of hundred, stuck with tons (like most of my releases!), lost money... Apparently Yoichi told Off With Their Heads I was some evil rip off bastard, never to be trusted. Fucking freak. I tried to email him but he blocked my email address. I just don't have time in my life for nut cases, so just kind of forgot about it.

You tell Aston I will not tolerate anymore of these CD only releases! I'm trying to get rid of CDs, not add to the pile! I support the release of the 1st and the next on vinyl. Maybe tons won't be sold, but the ones that are sold will be cherished. Maybe I'm overestimating, but I can't imagine not being able to sell out of a small pressing.

Blimey Dave, that does sound a bit mad about Yoichi. It don't sound good!

Speaking as an old b****d I don't know how anyone makes any money out of this business anymore, sales are pathetic even for the bigger bands.

That being said (timpopkid) even for a small run it would be about £1000 to do the first on vinyl and we're trying to get the money together to do a third album, which it will then be debated as to whether we wanna cut into the empty coffers further and do a vinyl version of that. Maybe we'll skip CD's entirely and only do a vinyl release then the d/loaders can go mad and the vinyl people will be happy too! Sweet

• 2 months later...

Only just found this thread and first off, Tim, that is a seriously impressive collection! I only have about 60 of the 7"s in total and am always looking to pick up the ones I'm missing (most of the early ones). As for Yoichi I've only had limited dealings with him and have never met him in person. He has, however, always been a stand up guy. Totally friendly and very helpful. Obviously not the case with everyone but I can only go from my own experience.

By the way (and sorry for the shameless self promotion), some of the more recent Snuffy 7"s are for sale in the UK on the store link below.

• 3 months later...
got a bunch more Snuffy Releases (including the 3 new ones) in store here in the UK if anyone's after them:

snuff-100 - Blotto / Hard Skin - Split 7"

snuff-113 - Your Pest Band / Eine Kleine Chinmuzik - Split 7"

snuff-114 - Your Pest Band / Holy Shit! - Split 7"

http://brassneckrecords.bigcartel.com/

I thought I heard somewhere that the label was done, I guess not.

I thought I heard somewhere that the label was done, I guess not.

I heard that rumour too so I asked Yoichi about it yesterday. He is definitely releasing more records and says he will do so for as long as he is able. I got the idea that he wasn't surprised to hear the rumour but the label's not gone yet!

whats a decent distro to track down their releases? i can never find much of their stuff aside from stuff in razorcakes distro

You kind of have to mix and match for older stuff, but It's Alive Records are probably the best. I've also found stuff at No Idea and Vinyl Junkie Distro, I'm sure Dirtnap / Green Noise probably has some too.

Need to pick up that Blotto/Hard Skin record!

Not familiar with the bands on those other two 7"s

Your Pest Band is really good, they have a few other singles on Snuffy Smile as well.

Ok, ok, I know I'm selling them but all bias aside, Your Pest band are one of the best bands in Japan right now. check out their Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/yourpestband