Upgrade path....new integrated?

I think a new integrated would be the obvious first choice. I don't really wanna spend more than $1500 and would prefer a solid state or a very low maintenance tube(I don't have a lot of extra time to play with tubes). Silver is also the preferred color. It does not need to include a phono stage as I am probably going to purchase a Ray Samuel's Nighthawk. Unfortunately, I do not have any place around me to demo items. So it will just be from your guys opinions. I listen to Metal, Bluegrass, Blues, Classic Rock, and Jazz , the later being more often.

What do you guys think?

Current Config:

VPI Scout w/ Ortofon 2m Red 

Nikko 9095 Stereo Reciever

Polk Audio monitor 60s

I eventually want to upgrade my cart to possibly a 2m Bronze or Dynavector 10x5 or maybe even a 20x2 or Black, but I was going to save that for the last along with my speakers.

20150621_161502_zpslbtn4p97.jpg

Rogue Audio Sphinx might be exactly what you are looking for:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Rogue-Audio-Sphinx-Integrated-Amp

I gotta say...I would look into replacing speakers. I started my humble system with Monitor 70s and replacing them with Monitor Audio RX1s was a huge step up.

Might be worth using the onboard preamp on whatever integrated you go with for a while out that $ toward cart/speakers.

I'm sure that you'll enjoy an upgrade to your integrated, but man that 2M Red needs to go... Your Scout can, no, NEEDS so much better. I enjoy Dynavector on my VPI.

Where you always running the Dynavector? If not what did you have previously?

Rogue Audio Sphinx might be exactly what you are looking for:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Rogue-Audio-Sphinx-Integrated-Amp

I gotta say...I would look into replacing speakers. I started my humble system with Monitor 70s and replacing them with Monitor Audio RX1s was a huge step up.

Might be worth using the onboard preamp on whatever integrated you go with for a while out that $ toward cart/speakers.

I have looked at that integrated more than a few times, haha. I haven't heard much about it though. Anyone with experience with this particular integrated?

How was it replacing floorstanding speakers with bookshelfs?

in and out tends to be more important and more noticeable sound improvement wise than the bit in the middle so to my mind you might be going in the wrong order in your upgrade path.

I hear you. So overall consensus?

1. Cart

2. Speakers

3. Integrated

Any other carts I should be looking at besides the Dynavector 10x5?

I used a Denon DL-160 for about 9 months on my Classic when I first got it. I previously used the Denon on my Project Debut III. Going from the D3 to the Classic was a huge jump (obviously), and while the Denon sounded good, it was at its max on the VPI. Denon carts and Dynavector carts have a similar sound, both being Japanese MC. I recently tried a 2M Black on my Classic. I didn't care for it, but it was NOT bad, just not my taste. I prefer MC to MM.

I'm rocking that Rogue Sphinx right now. It's powering some of the Wharfedale Denton 80th's. I love it! Really great amp, super versatile.

But I agree with the others suggesting a cartridge upgrade first. I'd go Dynavector or Nagaoka before I'd Ortofon. I have a Nagaoka MP-500 on my Clearaudio Concept. When I was auditioning stuff I listened to a 10x5, a 2m Bronze, a 2m Black and the MP-500 on both the Clearaudio concept and on a Scout 1.1 and in the end went with the Concept/MP-500 setup. It's a great pair. BUT when I was listening on the Scout I definitely preferred the Dynavector and Nagaoka over the Ortofon stuff.

You need to listen for yourself as cartridges do have very distinct sounds between types and brands. There are some generalities like an MM will be more forward and pick out more detail but can be harsh with prolonged listening and an MC will be warmer and more lush sounding but you might sacrifice a little of that forward sound and different brands will have a house sound which goes right through the range which you can like or dislike instantly.

A lot of these things are very much based on personal taste so like I say you really do need to listen to a broad range to find out what you like.

Also there can be a lot of physics involved with mating cartridges to arms but that is a whole other subject, luckily today most arms and carts are broadly compatible in terms of things like mass and compliance but it's another good reason to listen to them, you might not know what's wrong but you will know whether you do or don't like it.

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, I do not have any where to demo any options. So this is what I'm thinking so far(short version at bottom :)).

First upgrade is the cart to a Dynavector 10x5. From reviews and the length of time it has been on the market. Seems to be a solid choice. If I don't like the sound, I can possibly sell it without losing too much.

Integrated will be the last upgrade. BUT, I'm gonna go with either the Cronus Magnum 2 or Sphinx. I know, I know...there's a little price difference. But as of right now I'm leaning towards the Cronus.

So this brings me to speakers.....There are so many choices. Both the cronus and sphinx are both 100 watts. So I feel my speaker choice would be good for either...hopefully or I will just wait. My set up in our living room that has a two story ceiling and the main listening area is 20x20 with a bay window with five windows. Should I even be looking at bookshelf speakers or just stick with floorstanding? Any recommendations for American made speakers?

Short version:

1. Dynavector 10x5

2. Recommendations: Speakers for large room 20x20 with two story ceiling. Us made preferred, but not mandatory. $1.5k cap maybe a little more.

3. Rogue Audio Cronus magnum 2 or sphinx.

Thanks for your help

I know you said you don't have access, but buying speakers without able to properly compare them or at the very least, hear them, could be a disaster.

I might have to make the trip to Atlanta and hope one of the shops will let me demo them at home. Not being in the metro Atlanta area might an issue. I'll call around.

Anyone in Atlanta, have any shops they recommend?

I haven't been. But if you go, let me know and I'll come with.

Fronts? Secret setups? Sounds a little more breaking bad than hi-fi.

Its a long story, but when I went there, it was a thrift store essentially. But then after they realized I wasn't a Crosley user, and used to work in HiFi, they took me to the showroom.

I haven't been. But if you go, let me know and I'll come with.

Its a long story, but when I went there, it was a thrift store essentially. But then after they realized I wasn't a Crosley user, and used to work in HiFi, they took me to the showroom.

Sounds good man.

I guess Monday really got to me and didn't really comprehend the "secret" statement, haha.

I know you said you don't have access, but buying speakers without able to properly compare them or at the very least, hear them, could be a disaster.

That goes for any expensive bit of hifi, how do you know what you like if you don't listen to it? And why would you trust someone else's taste or opinion no matter how much you respect it when it's your money you are spending?

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, or am I missing a secret internet thing that fixes all that for you?

That goes for any expensive bit of hifi, how do you know what you like if you don't listen to it? And why would you trust someone else's taste or opinion no matter how much you respect it when it's your money you are spending?

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, or am I missing a secret internet thing that fixes all that for you?

Well the place I was going to buy from has a 60 day return policy. I'd just be out shipping. Not the most ideal I know, but I don't have a lot of time to travel to audition. But in the end I'm just gonna suck it up and find the time to travel.

Well the place I was going to buy from has a 60 day return policy. I'd just be out shipping. Not the most ideal I know, but I don't have a lot of time to travel to audition. But in the end I'm just gonna suck it up and find the time to travel.

Make the time it's worth it. The only time I buy blind is when I buy something so cheap that I know I'm going to make a profit on it if I sell it on if I don't like it, and that doesn't happen often.

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, I do not have any where to demo any options. So this is what I'm thinking so far(short version at bottom :)).

First upgrade is the cart to a Dynavector 10x5. From reviews and the length of time it has been on the market. Seems to be a solid choice. If I don't like the sound, I can possibly sell it without losing too much.

Integrated will be the last upgrade. BUT, I'm gonna go with either the Cronus Magnum 2 or Sphinx. I know, I know...there's a little price difference. But as of right now I'm leaning towards the Cronus.

So this brings me to speakers.....There are so many choices. Both the cronus and sphinx are both 100 watts. So I feel my speaker choice would be good for either...hopefully or I will just wait. My set up in our living room that has a two story ceiling and the main listening area is 20x20 with a bay window with five windows. Should I even be looking at bookshelf speakers or just stick with floorstanding? Any recommendations for American made speakers?

Short version:

1. Dynavector 10x5

2. Recommendations: Speakers for large room 20x20 with two story ceiling. Us made preferred, but not mandatory. $1.5k cap maybe a little more.

3. Rogue Audio Cronus magnum 2 or sphinx.

Thanks for your help

Since the Magnum 2 was released, I've seen a few Magnum 1's being sold for below $1500.  If you're sold on Rogue, that would be the route I'd take.  It's going to better than the Sphinx for around the same price (of a new Sphinx).

Not sold yet, but I do like that they are Made in the US and it appears they have excellent customer service. Not to mention the savings would be great and I can send it to rogue to upgrade if I so desired.  But  I want to here some of the Primalunas they have in Atlanta, before I make any decisions. I need to call and see if Rogue has any dealers in that area.

I'm getting ready to order the 10x5. Has anyone used Hifi Heaven in Wisconsin? They have it for $449 plus free shipping, which is $100 off any where else I have seen?

As always I appreciate your guys input and help, thank you!