Butcha's Meat Thread

But sometimes I find that grilling cold gives me that crust I like on the outside while still being nice and rare on the inside. Is this wrong? Someone set me straight!

i think thats more of a burning than a searing. when the cold hits that hot grill it will immediately crust due to the dramatic change in temp. you can still get get that crust. before im done, i take the tongs, grab the steak (the juices that collect on one side) lift it up and then slam it on the grill, reverse. that invokes a huge flame blast that crusts it.

Seems like you're doing it right. I use a good amount of salt & pepper on the steak then sear it in a hot cast iron skillet with butter and reserved bacon fat. Then I throw in some fresh smashed garlic and a few sprigs of thyme while it's cooking. It adds a nice flavor to the crust. I leave out the baking part and baste the steak in butter on the stove top while I wait for that nice crust to brown before flipping. If you find that it lacks seasoning, just add a pinch of salt at the end. The only time I sear and bake meats is if it is a really thick cut, otherwise I leave out the baking part. Just easier for me to gauge the doneness of the meat that way. 

Butcha, question about cooking steak, filets. I usually start with a pouring of salt/pepper. 3 minutes per side in a cast iron skillet with either oil or butter. Then place the skillet for 8 to 10 minutes in the oven. I never seem to get that crust. Steak tastes great but not restaurant quality. Do restaurants literally coat the entire steak with salt? I don't go overboard but maybe I should?

Always be pretty generous with the salt! I usually go for the sear in the skillet then oven to finish method also. I guess I'm also never cooking a steak that isn't at least a inch or so thick :). Make sure you are using vegetable or canola oil. You need an oil that has a high burning temp. Heat up your skillet to the point that the oil is just starting to smoke and then put your steak in. Once I get a nice crust on that side I flip it and go right to the oven. This should work for ya!

But sometimes I find that grilling cold gives me that crust I like on the outside while still being nice and rare on the inside. Is this wrong? Someone set me straight!

Cholly is right about the burning and the major temp change on your meat. Aside from that the biggest reason for temping out your meat is so the meat cooks much more evenly. Give it a shot! And also tell your dude that is not too early to wake up for meat!

I have a hefty pork tenderloin to cook this weekend. Can't quite decide what I want to do it it yet. Any suggestions?

All I can think about is moorish pork. I was the sous chef at a Spanish restaurant for a few years so my mind always shoots to Spainsh cooking. You coat it in this tub and let it sit overnight/a few days. Cut the tenderloin into medallions and grill. I'd usually make little sliders with it with some sort of horseradish sour cream and arugula salad. Really simple and really delicious.

All I can think about is moorish pork. I was the sous chef at a Spanish restaurant for a few years so my mind always shoots to Spainsh cooking. You coat it in this tub and let it sit overnight/a few days. Cut the tenderloin into medallions and grill. I'd usually make little sliders with it with some sort of horseradish sour cream and arugula salad. Really simple and really delicious.

Nice. I've got some chimichurri sauce I made a few days ago that is mostly oil anyway. I could use some of that, and then add all of the spices for the rub. I think that might work. I like the idea of cutting it into medallions then grilling it for sliders. Good stuff. 

Nice. I've got some chimichurri sauce I made a few days ago that is mostly oil anyway. I could use some of that, and then add all of the spices for the rub. I think that might work. I like the idea of cutting it into medallions then grilling it for sliders. Good stuff. 

Yummmm, I love a good chimichurri. Let me know how it turns out!

Does anyone else keep a jar of bacon fat to cook with? I like to call it my jar of liquid gold. I love using meat fats to cook with. I will rarely use oils unless it is for baking, deep frying or salad dressings.

Best stuff to fry with, especially for those like me on a paleo / caveman diet. Adds that extra salty zip to fried foods as well. I have two jars I keep in the refrigerator and use when needed.

Got a bunch of meat on Saturday! The standouts for me were the bacon and the spicy souse. Also tried head cheese which was a lot better than I was expecting. Pictures are on my Instagram!

It was some of the best bacon I've ever had. Oh god, the bacon. Kill me.

Butcha, question about cooking steak, filets. I usually start with a pouring of salt/pepper. 3 minutes per side in a cast iron skillet with either oil or butter. Then place the skillet for 8 to 10 minutes in the oven. I never seem to get that crust. Steak tastes great but not restaurant quality. Do restaurants literally coat the entire steak with salt? I don't go overboard but maybe I should?

I've been messing around with my system for cooking fillets lately.  Not saying it's the best way or anything, but this is what I do:

1) punch the shit out of a room temperature fillet

2) put a little oil in the iron skillet and a little on the steak.  I usually use olive, but it shouldn't matter that much.

3) salt/pepper

4) heat the pan until it starts smoking

5) apply meats and press it a bit to get as much contact with the surface as possible.

6) after the first 3 minutes, I flip it and add some butter and some garlic on the side.

7) baste the steak with the melted butter/garlic for the next 3 ish minutes.

I don't bother with the oven thing, but I might cover it for a bit with some tin foil between bastings and I probably go longer than 3 on the second side.

I have a hefty pork tenderloin to cook this weekend. Can't quite decide what I want to do it it yet. Any suggestions?

I'm always worried with how touchy a tenderloin can be with drying out and being awful, so I always go with the slow cooker for mine. Red wine to tenderize as well as flavor, soy sauce for salt factor, and plenty of minced garlic, and a pinch of water for moisture. 6 hours and that thing is so butter soft it should be illegal...