Butcha's Meat Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really want to make my own charcuterie board but have no idea where to start. It's overwhelming to me. I found this cool specialty meat shop here where 4th generation brothers spend 4 days a week hand tying sausages and shit, and then they're only open Friday-sat-Sunday at dawn until they run out. I want to go there for my charcuterie supplies but I'm intimidated. I love meat.

I really want to make my own charcuterie board but have no idea where to start. It's overwhelming to me. I found this cool specialty meat shop here where 4th generation brothers spend 4 days a week hand tying sausages and shit, and then they're only open Friday-sat-Sunday at dawn until they run out. I want to go there for my charcuterie supplies but I'm intimidated. I love meat.

It's a hell of a process. Are you trying to cure your own meats? Or just buy already cured stuff and throw together a charcuterie board?

I don't even want to cure my own meats at this point, just put the thing together. But I don't even know what to buy, and I can't pronounce half the shit. I'm a noob.

I would eventually like to attempt to make my own corned beef one day too.

I don't even want to cure my own meats at this point, just put the thing together. But I don't even know what to buy, and I can't pronounce half the shit. I'm a noob.

I would eventually like to attempt to make my own corned beef one day too.

Oh! Putting a board together would be pretty easy. Just grab a few salami's (genoa, capicola, soppressata). Maybe 1 that isnt pork based (bresola, a duck pastrami). And some sort of forced meat/terrine (head cheese, ect.). Some pickled veggies. Some kim chi. Some nice crunchy crackers and some mustard. Done!

Oh god thank you for putting that in terms I understand. I spent a while googling last night and became overwhelmed.

I have never had head cheese. So excited. I'm going Saturday morning to da meat shop!

Oh god thank you for putting that in terms I understand. I spent a while googling last night and became overwhelmed.

I have never had head cheese. So excited. I'm going Saturday morning to da meat shop!

The Butcha > Google.

Head cheese is delicious. Take some pictures of what you create and post them here! Let me know how it turns out.

Im interested in this head cheese now!

I mean, head and cheese are both awesome, so "head cheese" has to be awesome too?!

Haha, no actual cheese involved! Traditionally made from boiling down a pigs head and salvaging the meat off of the face/jowls. Usually some shoulder meat thrown in there too due to the head not having a ton of meat on it. Mix that meat with a blend of spices, green onion, and some hot sauce. Take the stock from which you boiled the head and reduce it down with a little gelatin. Put your meat mixture in a terrine mold and throw that stock on top of it. Cool it down overnight to let it set. Then slice and eat on some crackers with mustard.

I really enjoy head cheese.

important note. make sure when grilling steak that the meat is at room temp! never grill a cold ass steak.

You're beyond right about this.

I let a steak rest for at least 30 mins before grilling. Then obviously more resting after grilling.

(2k post about meat, FTW)