Hurricane season starts June 1st!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember hearing about a friend who went to Orlando and said it was scary because there's so many carjackings that even the rental car company told him to just speed away if someone tries to ram his car off the road. Legit, or are Canadians paranoid?

Granted, I went to Brazil where I was told the opposite: if your car gets rammed off the road, pull over, put your hands up, cooperate, and hopefully your life will be spared.

i dont know, i stayed in town when Hurricane Allen hit Corpus in the 80's and that was a a Cat3 hurricane which wasn't even near us and we had a shitload of damage to alot of our home. i would hate to see what a 4 would do. Thank god i live so far inland, i can't even think of caling into work :( fuck tornado's too, but yet, it does look kinda cool when the clouds move quickly and form out of nowhere...

The last hurricane that caused any remote trouble was Brett in 99, I think it was. Other than that it's always OH SHIT EVERYONE PACK YOUR BAGS WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE and then about 20 minutes before everyone is supposed to be dead the story is "nevermind, just kidding, storm turned north"

It all comes down to where you live and if the area is exposed to the possibility of getting pounded by a hurricane. Even the people at the National Hurricane Center will admit that it's never an exact science. They can create all the tracking models in the world and it will never be 100% accurate. But sometimes close enough though.

Luckily we have had it pretty good around north florida since i have been here (8-9 years).

in 1999 or 2000 we had a close call, my college shut down for a few days and evacuated everyone that lived on campus, but nothing really happened because the storm (dont remember the name) just brushed by the coast.

Having days off work to "prepare" were nice because we would stock up on beer and sit on the back porch and get shitty watching the storm roll through. Hurricane parties were usually fun until the power goes out, trees start falling and drunk people start getting worried and freak out.

I lived in jax from 1999 to June of 2007, and yeah compared to the rest of florida we had it better. I hated the damn power outages though, lose all the food in the fridge and you just sit in your house with all the windows open, basking in the 200% humidity.

So glad I don't need to worry about that anymore. But I do miss those publix subs.

how is it in orlando? i'm moving there at the beginning of july

i like it. i am going there for college and will be living in the college part of orlando. the rest of orlando is very touristy. seems like you can always find something to do there though. what are you moving there for?

i'm moving to winter park to go to full sail in july. where are you going and when are you starting? i'm looking for another roommate ;)

• 2 months later...