Vinyl final nail in CD Coffin: Wired Story

I believe the thought with CDs is they'll be replaced by strictly digitally downloadable music, which will take its place like CDs took the place of tapes.

This also kinda sucks in a way, because EVERYTHING won't be released on vinyl, therefore eliminating album artwork for many releases. That is, if this really does happen.

Not necessarily. I think it just means the artwork will be digital. Maybe like a PDF you can print out for your own use or something like that.

I believe the thought with CDs is they'll be replaced by strictly digitally downloadable music, which will take its place like CDs took the place of tapes.

This also kinda sucks in a way, because EVERYTHING won't be released on vinyl, therefore eliminating album artwork for many releases. That is, if this really does happen.

Yeah I'm with you. I will never pay for digital downloads. If I don't have anything tangible to associate with the music, then screw it.

yeah, the only time I've ever bought a digital release is if it was an itunes exclusive or something of that nature. If I'm going to pay roughly the same amount as a CD, i'd much rather have something to show for it. Not to mention a hard backup.

How much you pay is another question. i personally like iTunes but I'm not sure if services like eMusic are going to see their model proliferate. At that point you'd be paying 3-5 per album, depending on song count, etc.

Personally, a booklet is the only thing not be included with a digital release. I rarely look at any of the ones I have and further, you could get a nicer booklet via digital means than you could with a CD.

I've been cruising that Amazon shit for a little while trying to find Cardigans LPs, but no luck. I did just blow $40 on some Samiam LPs though. I feel like an asshole paying $20 each for them (average, including shipping), but they're older, major label releases that aren't easy to find.

Are all of the Clumsy (Bitzcore) LP's on red?

No, there's also black

Yeah I'm with you. I will never pay for digital downloads. If I don't have anything tangible to associate with the music, then screw it.

This is true, but do you have issues paying car insurance, renting movies, going to the movies, going to concerts, paying for internet, ect.? There are a TON of things consumers pay for but have nothing tangible to show for it. Ever eat out? You may have a full stomach but you could have went and cooked something for much cheaper.

This is true, but do you have issues paying car insurance, renting movies, going to the movies, going to concerts, paying for internet, ect.? There are a TON of things consumers pay for but have nothing tangible to show for it. Ever eat out? You may have a full stomach but you could have went and cooked something for much cheaper.

I get where you're coming from, but this is a bit different in my eyes.

i concur. the difference between paying for a meal and purchasing goods as a consumer is apples and oranges. a meal is the fulfillment of a need, buying physical copies of music is a want and a choice that some make and some don't. different people see it differently. that's why some people like to go to movies but never buy a dvd and some people wait for the dvd release and never set foot in a theatre.

I guess people just have to get over the whole "must have tangible goods" thing. I completely understand it and sometimes feel the same way, but the truth of the matter is I have 100+ CDs, 100s of PC Games, and they ALL just sit there. They all get ripped onto my Computer and put on my iPod (regarding CDs) and after that they get put on my shelf and never messed with again. If I want to listen to something in my car I take my iPod (it can be hooked up to my car). I will admit that I love special edition packages and great artwork but really, I don't use them much.

• 8 months later...