Active speaker recommendations to pair with AT-LP120?

I will soon be purchasing an AT-LP120 to replace my brand new Crosley that is already busted after only a month of use.  What I am deciding now is what speakers I want to go with.

I don't need anything too elaborate.  If I can get sound comparable to a TV sound bar or boom box, I'll be happy with that.  I am also on a budget.  What would be the best speakers for the money to pair with this turn table?

You want powered speakers correct? It would help to know what your budget is... but for example I grabbed a pair of Alesis M1 monitors for like $50 from an Amazon open box deal. You have to be pretty close to them, and they won't exactly fill a room, but they sound very good for what they are.

You want powered speakers correct? It would help to know what your budget is... but for example I grabbed a pair of Alesis M1 monitors for like $50 from an Amazon open box deal. You have to be pretty close to them, and they won't exactly fill a room, but they sound very good for what they are.

Yeah I want something a little more than that.  I want to at least be able to fill a room.  A good comparison to the kind of sound I am looking for is either a TV sound bar or the old CD boomboxes with subwoofers that were popular in the late 90s/early 00s.  

I have seen a lot of people recommend these.

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-LSR305-Professional-Studio-Monitor/dp/B00F1DEI8G/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1455086780&sr=8-12&keywords=Mackie+CR4

I wold love to have them but I would like to spend $100-150 for a set if I can get by with it.  Of course, if there's just no way of getting what I need at that cost, then I'll have to look into something more expensive.

Why are you into vinyl?

I have a lot of old obscure, thift store records that aren't available on digital.  Plus the experience of putting on an album and letting it play is far superior and more intimate than listening to a file on my computer.  After discovering vinyl, I don't even enjoy the harsh, cold sound of MP3s.  

It depends on the music though.  Modern pop and hip-hop, MP3s are the way to go.  Anything originally produced during the vinyl era or new alternative rock, its much better on vinyl.

If you want something that sounds like a boom box, surely you could find one on Craigslist?

I didn't necessarily mean the boom box sound is what I am going for, I am just trying to get the most for my money without spending a whole lot.  Some of the nicer boom boxes from the Y2K era didn't sound that bad either.  But yeah, I am definitely going to shop around and I could check craigslist.

Modern pop and hip-hop, MP3s are the way to go. 

I have some modern pop and hip-hop albums that sounds absolutely incredible. You're missing out.

After discovering vinyl, I don't even enjoy the harsh, cold sound of MP3s. 

You can't say you don't enjoy "cold sound of mp3s" when you're listening to records through a LP120 that you want to sound like a soundbar... probably where the "troll thread" aspects come into play.

Essentially what you need to do is find a good hifi shop, listen to some stuff way out of your price range. Understand there is good sound out there, then re-evaluate everything you said so far in this thread.

I have some modern pop and hip-hop albums that sounds absolutely incredible. You're missing out.

You can't say you don't enjoy "cold sound of mp3s" when you're listening to records through a LP120 that you want to sound like a soundbar... probably where the "troll thread" aspects come into play.

Essentially what you need to do is find a good hifi shop, listen to some stuff way out of your price range. Understand there is good sound out there, then re-evaluate everything you said so far in this thread.

Yeah I definitely need to do this.  I've pretty new to all this (which is why I was dumb enough to buy a Crosley in the first place).  I haven't used physical media at all since the early 2000s when I switched from CD to MP3.  When your standard is MP3 through cheap headphones or computer speakers, even something like a sound bar sounds decent.  Right now, I really want to keep my entire setup under $500, if possible.  I am sure as my ear evolves, I will eventually want something better.

Yeah I definitely need to do this.  I've pretty new to all this (which is why I was dumb enough to buy a Crosley in the first place).  I haven't used physical media at all since the early 2000s when I switched from CD to MP3.  When your standard is MP3 through cheap headphones or computer speakers, even something like a sound bar sounds decent.  Right now, I really want to keep my entire setup under $500, if possible.  I am sure as my ear evolves, I will eventually want something better.

It's very possible to stay in that budget with vintage stuff. Check your local craigslist for some good vintage gear.

I'm gonna assume you're serious here, and not just another troll...we've had a lot of them here lately, so forgive the folks who've been here for years if they immediately think TROLL THREAD.

If you're looking to get a decent set of powered speakers, and keep your whole system under $500, I'd suggest a pair of Audioengine A2's (http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-A2-Premium-Powered-Speakers/dp/B00DQMJE7E) - I've gotten a chance to listen to a set of these, and their older, louder siblings the A5's, and they really do sound pretty good. It'll be enough to keep you happy if you're not interested in getting all gear happy like many of the regulars here do (I've dumped about $1000 into a new turntable, integrated amplifier, and speakers. You may be happier with less) and give you some resale value if you  do end up wanting to upgrade.

It's very possible to stay in that budget with vintage stuff. Check your local craigslist for some good vintage gear.

Do this right and your ears will thank you, do it wrong and you will buy $500 worth of future landfill.

Financially this is always the best way to get high quality for low outlay but it takes patience and a lot of research.