PO: The Temper Trap - Thick As Theives

Actually kind of digging the new song. Will wait to hear more before pre-ordering.

Also, I really wish they would just repress Conditions.

I posted this in the Conditions re press thread but just in case, I'm very interested to see what turns up now and wonder if Conditions has been repressed to promote the new album or if they are bootlegs.

Thanks for posting this I had a look and a lot of the sellers on that link are in the UK so I changed to Amazon UK and there were quite a few more sellers offering this. I wondered if some of them had made a mistake and listed CD's instead of vinyl but the ones I looked through also offer lots of other vinyl so I've given it a go.

I've not seen boots about over here but that doesn't mean they are not out there and haven't heard about a re release either so I had a look on the label website where the last news is dated January 2012, all the links to Amazon and HMV point to the CD and although in the label shop it shows up in the vinyl section it's not available to buy. I have an original that I bought when it was released so I'll easily be able to see if this is a boot or a re release etc.

Edit

There's a few for sale on ebay UK as well so I'm pretty certain these are a repress, there's also a few more than there were for sale on Discogs but the prices have dropped considerably.

These are  a couple of ebay ones.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Temper-Trap-Conditions-VINYL-NEW/301916184801?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D35391%26meid%3Dba9e70fdab734bd8afe0e07f3e481b15%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D301440862141

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Temper-Trap-Conditions-NEW-12-VINYL-LP/311575329920?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D35391%26meid%3Dba9e70fdab734bd8afe0e07f3e481b15%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D301440862141

Yeah I just came to discuss the repress too. I got mine for 13 pounds way back when and when I saw the market value a few years later and wanted to buy a copy of The Verve's A Northern Soul in minty condition, I couldn't resist and sold it for US$400, spent $125 on The Verve and another $125 on a Classic Clarity 33rpm of PG3.

It must have been repressed in the UK, all those sellers are pretty recognizable as sellers I've seen selling vinyl in the marketplace for years. I'm going to order a copy too. The mastering on the Conditions CD is horrible, the vinyl if memory serves correctly sounded not massively better, but better enough that for $20 I'll take a chance.

If anyone has an original, can they note the matrices in here please?

Also on topic, new track is cool. The lead single for the second album was a bit of an odd choice given the vast majority of the rest of the album was more "Temper Trappy" and far superior hooks and lyrics. Pretty much from track#3 onwards, magic. Vinyl wasn't very good quality pressing though.

Also they're charging $16 shipping even if you only have a CD in your cart, I'll wait for Amazon!

According to Lunatic Entertainment/The Temper Trap HQ "it definitely hasn't been re-printed in any official capacity".

I had sent them links to the listings. they also went on to say regarding getting the title back in print, "it's been an ongoing work in progress for a while now. And definitely something that has been discussed, a lot. We will get there eventually."

Is there any chance the UK/EU distributor may have just pressed more? I know the matrices will tell us much more on this that just speculating, but I suppose what I'm wondering is, is it possible an official distributor may have pressed more without the artist knowing?

Just in case anyone misses the thread where Conditions repressing is being discussed or wonders why there is no update here - http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/120132-temper-trap-conditions-vinyl-reissue/#entry2574313

Good point, I didn't post the info here so just incase info below

Ok mine arrived today and it's definitely a re issue, way too good to be a boot as the record itself is identical but there are quite a few differences on everything else to my UK original.

1) The new ones are sealed, the original UK issue was not sealed.

2) The new ones have the hype sticker on the cellophane, on the UK original it's on the sleeve itself albeit in the same place and looks to be the same hype sticker.

3) The new ones use card with a white inside , the UK originals used card which was more grey inside

4) The new ones only have one opener on the gatefold, both sides are open on the UK originals

5) The new ones have a glossy inner sleeve, the UK original was matt both inside and out

6) The download card on the new one is credit card sized, the UK original has a CD insert sized download card.

I've also added this new repress on Discogs as well

• 1 month later...

Got my record in last night and have to say...this one does NOT sound great. I mean, the songs are good, but both the digital downloads and the vinyl source material seem heavily compressed from a dynamics standpoint. My price at shipping from Amazon Canada was only CDN$18 which isn't too hard to swallow, but I can't help but feel like this will be one I'll be listening to in the car to get to know it, rather than on my main system via vinyl.

I have a set of B speakers up by my Yamaha electric piano which I use for background music when we're having dinner, washing up, etc., (basically NOT critical listening) so I suppose this record will still see some rotation...but disappointing to say the least. They took a step in the right direction from Conditions to the second album, but this one has gone completely backwards.

Score another one for the Loudness Wars.