Comics (possible spoilers)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest drahtuos

i recently read this manga called uzumaki by junji ito, it's about a town off the cost of japan cursed by the spiral. people turn into snails, other fucked up shit happens. it's only three volumes and a pretty fast read and thoroughly enjoyable if you like weird horror stories.

this week was a good week for dc/vertigo fans:

batman #687 was a little mistimed, but a good issue.

red robin #1 was a great start at the deconstruction of a character who's recently lost pretty much everything.

unwritten #2 was fantastic. i have a feeling this series is going to be great.

green lantern corps #37 was pretty good. more blackest night build up. this title is good, but i don't know if i'm gonna keep up with it post-blackest night. i just can't get into team books that much.

on the flipside, i thought flash #3 was kind of a pile. i was majorly disappointed. i really liked 1 and 2, but this one was just kinda like "come on... really?"

Have any of you guys read Miracleman?

I've had issues 1, 4 and 6 for a long time now so I finally decided to pick up more of the series. I now have every issue up to #10 coming my way. After that the issues tend to get signifigantly more expensive. Has anyone read past #10? Is it worth shelling out the cash for? I'll probably never collect the whole series anyway since 15 and 24 always sell for $150+, but I am wondering if the other issues are worth the ~$20 each or if it is mostly just hype because of who wrote it and the controversy surrounding it.

Miracleman is one of the best series ever, especially the Alan Moore books (which are the mega-expensive ones). Part of the reason they are so expensive is that they cannot be reprinted as there has been a fight over who owns the rights to the character. It's basically Neil Gaiman versus Todd McFarlane. It's way too complicated, but let's just say that McFarlane is an asshole.

EDIT : To answer you question about if you should buy the expensive issues... I'd say no. Eventually these books just have to be reprinted. They're just too good. But I've been saying that for the past decade, so what do I know?

i believe the arc that involves damian's conception was the son of the demon story line, i might be remembering incorrectly, but i think that's it. he obviously wasn't a real character yet at that point, and i forget the actual circumstances of his bat-lineage. but yeah, batman and son is the first one with him as a viable character (except his brief appearance in kingdom come), and he's just kinda like "what's up bruce, i'm your son."

Have any of you guys read Miracleman?

I've had issues 1, 4 and 6 for a long time now so I finally decided to pick up more of the series. I now have every issue up to #10 coming my way. After that the issues tend to get signifigantly more expensive. Has anyone read past #10? Is it worth shelling out the cash for? I'll probably never collect the whole series anyway since 15 and 24 always sell for $150+, but I am wondering if the other issues are worth the ~$20 each or if it is mostly just hype because of who wrote it and the controversy surrounding it.

Miracleman is one of the best series ever, especially the Alan Moore books (which are the mega-expensive ones). Part of the reason they are so expensive is that they cannot be reprinted as there has been a fight over who owns the rights to the character. It's basically Neil Gaiman versus Todd McFarlane. It's way too complicated, but let's just say that McFarlane is an asshole.

EDIT : To answer you question about if you should buy the expensive issues... I'd say no. Eventually these books just have to be reprinted. They're just too good. But I've been saying that for the past decade, so what do I know?

haha. It's awesome that you responded to my post from 8 months ago.

I ended up downloading every issue after #10 (I would never do this for any other comic. Reading comics on a computer screen sucks). The series was spectacular. I will certainly buy the rest of it if the legal battle ever gets sorted out and they reprint it.

this weeks pull list:

batman streets of gotham #1 - i figure i'll give this a shot, don't think i'll stick with it for the long haul though.

cap #600 - unless brubaker starts writing archie comics, i will read anything he puts his name on.

incognito #4 - 2 brubaker books in one week!

destroyer #3 - i like this series.

groom lake #3 - i want ben templesmith to have my children.

i was gonna pick up streets of gotham, but decided to pass, because between batman, which i'll probably keep reading, batman and robin, which i'll definitely keep reading, batwoman in detective, which i'll definitely read, and red robin, which i will most likely keep reading, i already have 4 bat related monthly titles. streets of gotham might turn out great, but i'm willing to wait for trade on it.

INCOGNITO #4 - you can just tell that brubaker LOVES to write this kinda stuff. twisty, turny, pulp action. KILLER issue, this series has constantly delivered. LOVE IT.

destroyer #3 - this series totally rules. in the vein of incognito but definitely more ridiculous, this is pulpy, funny, and SUPER VIOLENT. there are multiple panels in this issue with the characters ENTIRELY COVERED IN BLOOD. ENTIRELY. totally red. i laughed out loud in a few parts. the cartoony art style just makes the violence that much more fun.

groom lake #3 - as i've said, i love me some templesmith, and this book is good, and it's funny. but for some reason, i just couldn't get into this issue as much as the first 2. i had trouble remembering what was going on in the previous issues. i dunno, maybe i'm just getting old.

and finally...

cap #600 - the shear size of this issue makes it an achievement, and yeah, brubaker's section was great. but on the whole? it was kind of meh. it took a long time to read, the stories not written by brubaker were mostly throw aways, i didn't need the stan lee reprint story at all. i did really like joe simon's recount of jack kirby forgetting how to draw cap though.

i haven't read hatter M yet, but i did pick up the welcome to hoxford trade. with welcome to hoxford it's worth noting that templesmith wrote it too. that book is the stuff nightmares are made of, really demented and twisted but i LOVED it. i actually just read his run on criminal macabre too, written by steve niles, the guy who wrote 30 days of night. that was a KILLER miniseries. my shop just got in the new copies of bram stoker's dracula with chapter illustrations by templesmith, i took a look through it, pretty nice. if i were ever gonna pick up a copy of dracula, it'd definitely be that one.