hope this isn't a silly question

I have recently noticed that on my current record player, I swear it plays all my records slightly higher in the pitch than the cd - it's not a huge difference..not even a semitone higher..but if i want to play my guitar along, i find i have to tune my guitar up ever so slightly.

I assume this probably means I should get a better turntable, but the thing is..i kinda like the way some of my records sound with the pitch tuned up slightly..even though when i listen to the cd's it sounds better (though it takes a while to get used to)..i still kinda like the sound when it's tuned ever so slightly up.

Anyone else ever had anything similar with their first record players?

my turntable is a Bush MTT1 or 2 :)

If something was mastered at 44 rpm instead of the appropriate 45, it would play back at a higher pitch.

edit : I am looking at this a different way I guess. For me, the logical way to explain something that is mastered wrong would be to say that it sounds as if it were mastered at the slower speed, rather than to say it sounds like it's playing back faster than it is - this is just because, at least theoretically, it's spinning at 45 rpm, regardless of how it sounds.