Gaslight Anthem - '59 Sound leaked!

Also... the new record is titled "The '59 Sound" and features a song called "Here's Looking at You, Kid" another titled "Film Noir" and yet another references Miles Davis. It's kind of kitschy, but I don't know if they're ripping anybody off. I think they're just making references to old shit. I bet if they had a time machine they'd grab a few punk records and just go live in 1955.

I kinda look at them the way I do the Murder City Devils. Spencer didn't sing about anything besides angels and drinking and truckers and sailors and cowboys but for their music was fucking awesome so I ignored the cheesy lyrics which would have otherwise annoyed the shit out of me.

It's just a little gimmick they've got, lots of bands have gimmicks and I never seem to mind. Hell, at least they sound like no other band I listen to and they're really refreshing whenever they come on on shuffle. And The Gaslight Anthem is the one band I like that could be shown to a person from any walk of life and they would at least admit they're good. I can't say that about any other band.

EDIT: Already more than used to the echo, and I'm on track 8 on my first time through. Album of the year.

Yeah, I agree. It's a gimmick and normally that annoys me but sometimes it doesn't bother me.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest genericinsight
ive been in a rise against phase since the demo... is there something wrong with this band? i think that their last two efforts have been definitely not as good as the unraveling, or RPM, but they are still awesome.

???

I've noticed lots of "ripoffs" from Bob Dylan. He has a song called It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), and Gaslight has a song that goes like this:

It's all right, man.

I'm only bleeding, man.

Stay hungry, stay free,

And do the best you can.

And apparently The Gaslight was a venue that Bob Dylan used to play at.

But I see it more as an homage than a ripoff.

they mention this in an interview, so probably not a ripoff...

I've noticed lots of "ripoffs" from Bob Dylan. He has a song called It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), and Gaslight has a song that goes like this:

It's all right, man.

I'm only bleeding, man.

Stay hungry, stay free,

And do the best you can.

And apparently The Gaslight was a venue that Bob Dylan used to play at.

But I see it more as an homage than a ripoff.

they mention this in an interview, so probably not a ripoff...

Also, check out Dylan's song Subterranean Homesick Blues and then listen to Gaslight's Angry Johnny and the Radio. I think it's awesome but I guess some people think "Bobby does it better."

Listen to We Came to Dance, and then Springsteen's Thundercrack. Might find something there There's a ton more but I'm tired.