record collecting ethics 101

so this made me think about it from my AM! thread in the sales/wants thread...

if you're in the record store and come across some rare pressings of records that you're not really into, but they're priced cheap/reasonable, do you think...

1. "oh man, i'm gonna get this for ____ they'd love it"

2. "holy shit i'm gonna SCORE on ebay!"

3. or just leave it for the next guy

it seems like a lot of record stores today arent pricing their records, just searching popsike/gemn/etc to see what they're going for at the moment and i think that sucks. part of the joy of spending an entire day going to record stores is finding that one LP you've been searching for, but you find it for $5. seriously whats the point if you can just sit on your computer and bid on everything you want?

also, people who buy records for the sole purpose of reselling them on ebay (in my opinion) suck at life. if you want to do this with rolling stones or beatles records whatever, but i thought punk/hardcrore/etc wasnt about cashing in and making tons of money. i use to go record shopping with a friend who runs an ebay "business" doing this shit, and there were many times that he would get to an LP before me, one that i've been dying to get, pulled it out and said "man i'm gonna make a killing off of this!"

man, this ended up turning into a rant. drop in your 2 cents!

Guest scriptedrain

I completely agree with you. Even though I do "leave it for the next guy", there's a little part of me that thinks about cashing in. I don't think I could get myself to do (and haven't), but it's like that little demon on my shoulder.

Oh, and this belongs on the vinyl board. (I should be a moderator.)

Guest falloutcollapse

To be honest, I've been into two record stores in my life. One seemed like things were accurately priced, while the other seemed kind of shady. One record at store A was $11.99, while it was $17.99 at store B. Being a poor, poor kid, I hate having to pay a huge amount on eBay. Today, hootenanny PM'd me, saying that he found a copy of Transatlanticism for $25 new. For him to tell him me meant a lot, because I've been searching for a while, and he finally tracked one down. If I lived closer to a record store, and had a lot more money, I'd definitely pick things up for you board members, because that's how I feel a community should run. I believe that VC has really really helped me with collecting, but to wrap up this long post, I think that eBay is totally ruining collecting, because honestly...I am not ready to pay those prices for things that anyone could have picked up for me, out of kindness.

Guest scriptedrain

Oh, and falloutcollapse, if I ever saw Transatlanticsm (or a Thrice / Circa Survice / Death Cab (that I already had) release) I would tell you. Same goes for other people that I know are looking for records.

To be honest, I've been into two record stores in my life. One seemed like things were accurately priced, while the other seemed kind of shady. One record at store A was $11.99, while it was $17.99 at store B. Being a poor, poor kid, I hate having to pay a huge amount on eBay. Today, hootenanny PM'd me, saying that he found a copy of Transatlanticism for $25 new. For him to tell him me meant a lot, because I've been searching for a while, and he finally tracked one down. If I lived closer to a record store, and had a lot more money, I'd definitely pick things up for you board members, because that's how I feel a community should run. I believe that VC has really really helped me with collecting, but to wrap up this long post, I think that eBay is totally ruining collecting, because honestly...I am not ready to pay those prices for things that anyone could have picked up for me, out of kindness.

exactly! i'm not gonna lie, i do sell stuff out of my own collection on ebay from time to time, but its usually after my "trimming the fat" run through, and i always post it on message boards (for awhile VLV, not just here on VC) where i sell it for cheaper than the "ebay value" of it, because i know the people its going to will love and cherish the record.

while i was there there were a few "man i be so-and-so-on-VC would be into this" moments. too bad i'm broke and cant buy records for everyone tho!

Guest falloutcollapse

Yeah. I mean, I'm on these boards every day. I've gotten a pretty good grasp of what all the dedicated posters are into and what they're looking for. At the end of the day, I guess the way it is is that, sure, you could have that $30/40, which would be great on the pocket, or you could really make someone's day (or life, in the case of Juturna.)

I tend to pick it up if it's rare. I don't sell on ebay (in fact I never sell 12"s) and I usually just hold onto them until someone is looking for it or wants to trade for it. i find you make a lot better friends that way and can always get something that you want in trade for a lucky find.

fuck the flippers!

my girlfriend is into the rare vinyl toy stuff (kidrobot and so on) and i got into too cuz its pretty sweet. after posting on the kidrobot board for awhile i was shocked to see just how against flippers they were. like the entire board (which isnt a HUGE amount of people) would actually band together and refuse to deal with certain people because they were known flippers, only in it for the money.

i thought it was really cool cuz it was almost like they were outcast from the scene in a way. just think what would happen if the punk rock community stopped accepting people who do that. itd be craaazy!

i admit i've bought stuff i'm not 100% into because i thought i might be able to trade it with someone -- and no one ha been the least bit interested in any of those items. so i probably won't be doing that any more.

ebay is a double-edged sword though. if it weren't for ebay, i probably wouldn't have 3/4 of the stuff i have because i would never have found virgil for one, and there just aren't (m)any cool record stores around here.

i can sort of sympathize with the flippers though. take myself for example. i dont make tons of money(preschool teacher) but i do have a pretty healthy record intake. lots of times ill pick up records in order to sell them to use as a "record fund" (usually my paypal account) to fund the purchase of records i WANT but cant really afford using my standard income. which goes back to why places like this are so great bc if i can find a record in philly that i know eric wants but cant find in florida then im able to help him that way. but from a personal standpoint trading tends not to work for me because i mainly am looking for 90s indie type stuff and most of the vinyl message boards these days are geared towards punk and hardcore.

Guest conoley

I think buying something to trade is great - everybody wins. I rarely sell on Ebay. I wanted to pay tuition back in August and unloaded some stuff on this board rather than putting it on Ebay. I'd rather give it to people that I know will keep it.

There have been times when I have held a record at a store and thought about picking it up and flipping it...I'm not gonna lie. But then reality sets in on what if it doesn't sell?...it's just going to sit in my room collecting dust. So 99% of the time I leave it alone.

Now, there have been a few times when I have come across a record that I know someone is looking for (either here on the board or personally) and I will get it. For instance, I nabbed an Indecision record for ericxthexred b/c I knew he was looking for it when I had mentioned that I'd seen it. I got it and we traded.

Nowadays when money is tight (no remarks about that MTB test press!), I am very picky on what I get for someone else or anything that I may not be wholly interested in.

I usually leave it for the next guy unless it's a great deal then I'll get it and give it a few listens to see if I'm into it all if not it usually collects dust for a while. I am a packrat and don't like to get rid of anything. 9 times out of 10 I will leave it for the next guy though as I don't have a lot of expendable cash.

If i KNOW someone has really been looking for an album, i might pick it up for them.

I dont really have many friends into vinyl collecting, so i generally dont pick it up. i have really no interest in flipping, so usually i leave for the next guy.

but if i saw some like super rare Fallout boy album (do they exist?) i'd flip that in a heart beat.

So essentially: if i think the band is good, i wont flip.

if i think the band sucks, i might flip it.