MLB Discussion

Every league is different but as someone else said, Fernandez looks like he's going to miss the first half of the season. How can a guy like that go in the 1st round?

It's all about long term.  There are not limits to the length of time you can keep a player.  The league is one where you also keep 3 hitters and 2 pitchers.  I know that isn't a standard keeper set up but we've got a group of guys who wanted a more casual keeper league setup.

Regarding Fernandez going in round 1, we have one new guy this year who is taking over a team this year.  He's in the other keeper league that I do and I know that he's nuts about Fernandez.  The reason I'm pretty certain that he'd draft him is that his keepers are pretty terrible and I know he's going to take this year to try and build a better keeper roster.

Regarding why I kept Fernandez.  I love Harvey quite a bit so it was tough to let him go.  However, the league is a straight rotisserie which means it's easier to deal with a guy on the bench / DL slot for a large chunk of the season.  Yeah theres no doubt that Harvey is going to be a more valuable player than Fernandez this year, and it won't be close.  Flip side I think that long term Fernandez is one of the only pitchers in baseball that could rival Kershaw.

Not saying I made the proper decision, just that it's one I'd make again.

Ok that sorta makes sense. valuing this season Vs. 10 seasons from now is pretty hard to do. My personal thought is that there is no guarantee that Fernandez is even pitching in 3 years so I would put a higher emphasis on this year than you would. Go back a few years and guys like Jake Peavy and Tim Lincecum would have been the equivalent of a Jose Fernandez.

Ok that sorta makes sense. valuing this season Vs. 10 seasons from now is pretty hard to do. My personal thought is that there is no guarantee that Fernandez is even pitching in 3 years so I would put a higher emphasis on this year than you would. Go back a few years and guys like Jake Peavy and Tim Lincecum would have been the equivalent of a Jose Fernandez.

I completely get that logic and if this was a higher dollar value league I'l probably apply that.  This is however a casual league of friends and acquaintences so I play it fast and loose.  I'll go with my gut and will play based off of long term upside.  The other league I do I play things a bit more conservatively but honestly I'm not the best fantasy player.  I like playing and having a good time but mostly this is a nice distraction when I'm at work.  Gives me something to distract my brain with at work.

I'll make some bonehead moves because trading is fun.  Like last year when I gave up Stanton and Bumgarner for Beltre.  I was going to have to throw back Bumgarner and thought Beltre was going to be amazing with Fielder there.  Whoopsie, flummoxed that one up good

I've thought Beltre was going to start showing his age for the last 3 years but he keeps hitting. I know the power regressed but there aren't that many guys you can rely on to hit .315+ every year and most of them go in the first round. Easier to get 30 bombs off the wire (guys like Carter, Dunn, Laroche in recent years) than it is to find guys who are going to hit for high average).

Go back a few years and guys like Jake Peavy and Tim Lincecum would have been the equivalent of a Jose Fernandez.

Peavy never had a season like Fernandez did, and Lincecum broke down due to his delivery. Fernandez is not a similar pitcher to either of them. You got to find comparable players to his skills and style to make that argument. Otherwise you are just saying Billy Butler will hit 35 homeruns because David Ortiz plays the same position and does it.

Look at Peavy's 2007 season and factor in that the league average ERA in those years was over half a run higher than it has been the last few years. He was every bit the pitcher that Fernandez is today.

Also taking my point too literally. Not a direct comparison of pitching styles. Just a comment about pitchers generally not being able to stay on top of the mountain for long periods of time so eating a guaranteed half a year lost for a keeper position is a big risk (and one I wouldn't take). Just me.

I know there is already a fantasy league from here, but I was kicking around an idea and thought I would see if anyone on here was interested. It would be a ten team league. The draft would be three rounds, where you drafted a team. Once you have your three teams, you fill your 25 man roster from only those three teams. Anyone else interested in something like that?

A simple proboards page would be able to handle the draft (doesnt need to be live since it is only three rounds and picking teams). Could handle all roster moves on there if league wanted to, but as Commish Id be able to keep track of who had what teams and who they could pick up from the waiver wire. I've played in a few leagues that use a proboard forum for the league and it works really well, and it helps get to know each other a bit better. Trading seems to work better through the PM function opposed to just sending and rejecting trade offers till you finally agree.

Anyone have any good undervalued players or sleepers they are really targeting? Phil Hughes looks really interesting to me. Led the league in K/walk which is a really good sign that there is something of substance there.

Also don't draft blow Nathan if he's there in the last round. Not worth the ERA explosion for a handful of saves before he gets the hook.

Maybe, but Kimbrel is pretty durable and you have to be lights-out to have fantasy value as a set-up guy (which Johnson's lack of elite Ks compound even further). I'll keep an eye on him but won't draft, even in the 21st round of my 14 team league.

I don't fantasy baseball so, these are details of which I have no concept.

Aren't you going for a PhD in bio-stats (or something like that)?

You should, you'll like it.

Chemical well... technically Bioengineering. It's one of those deals where I only want to get in to it if I find a league where people are competitive about it. Wasted too much time in FF leagues where 50% of the league is idle after week 2 and it's dumb. Haven't found that yet.

I know there is already a fantasy league from here, but I was kicking around an idea and thought I would see if anyone on here was interested. It would be a ten team league. The draft would be three rounds, where you drafted a team. Once you have your three teams, you fill your 25 man roster from only those three teams. Anyone else interested in something like that?

A simple proboards page would be able to handle the draft (doesnt need to be live since it is only three rounds and picking teams). Could handle all roster moves on there if league wanted to, but as Commish Id be able to keep track of who had what teams and who they could pick up from the waiver wire. I've played in a few leagues that use a proboard forum for the league and it works really well, and it helps get to know each other a bit better. Trading seems to work better through the PM function opposed to just sending and rejecting trade offers till you finally agree.

I'd be down for this if you can get something up.

so we'd use Proboards to draft, and then yahoo or omething to do the actual league?

I was thinking using yahoo or ESPN for the day to day use of it, and then proboards to handle drafting, roster moves, trading, announcements, DL, waiver etc. I'm not sure if I'd do it as a keeper league where you keep your three teams and can only draft and waiver from those three teams or do a redraft every year.