MLB Discussion

Just keep batters in the box. No need for a pitch clock. I don't care either way about the shifts; I just find it pointless. You either like baseball or you don't.

I agree. While there are some pitchers who like to take their time, I'm more upset about batters who have to step outside of the box and adjust their equipment after every pitch.

i will be writing for rotographs (at fangraphs) starting next week probably. the staff wants me to start in fantasy baseball analysis and maybe move my way over to the non-roto section of the site after i get my feet wet.

anyway, i'm pretty jazzed and i wanted to share the news with someone. figured you guys might think it's cool, too (unless you hate FG, then pretend i wrote a different website name). maybe you can go read my stuff and leave mean, disparaging comments? some of the "analysis" on FG drives me crazy with how much it lacks real analysis, so i'm going to do my best to not be that guy.

i do a lot of econometric/statistical analysis and am always open to researching new topics, so if you have questions that have been nagging you or whatever, let me know! i'm always down for new projects.

i will be writing for rotographs (at fangraphs) starting next week probably. the staff wants me to start in fantasy baseball analysis and maybe move my way over to the non-roto section of the site after i get my feet wet.

anyway, i'm pretty jazzed and i wanted to share the news with someone. figured you guys might think it's cool, too (unless you hate FG, then pretend i wrote a different website name). maybe you can go read my stuff and leave mean, disparaging comments? some of the "analysis" on FG drives me crazy with how much it lacks real analysis, so i'm going to do my best to not be that guy.

i do a lot of econometric/statistical analysis and am always open to researching new topics, so if you have questions that have been nagging you or whatever, let me know! i'm always down for new projects.

That's awesome!

Sports writing is something I have no experience in or credentials for, but writing about the Astros for a living would be a dream job.

Awesome man!

I've always wanted to do a simulation analysis of the way that managers craft their lineups. Who says your best player should hit 3/4? Maybe the right answer is to bat them leadoff so they get an extra 50 at-Bats that they otherwise wouldn't.

I get the reason for going speed-contact-power 1-2-3, I just don't think i've ever seen any real analysis that backs it up.

thanks guys!  :wub:

i've heard of (but not read) analysis that says the two-hole is the optimal spot. but i agree: i think you want your best player to bat first to maximize his late appearances. but i also understand slotting your top OBP guy first and your best contact/batting average hitter second, like batting miggy first and v-mart second (although in that instance those two are probably interchangeable), or something like that.

the average home run nets around 1.4 runs scored, so a large majority of homers are solo shots. it's probably a little better for hitters in the heart of the order, but still, i don't know if it's worth passing up 50 additional PAs per spot up in the order from your best hitter.

It's been a while but I remember reading a series of articles about how the 2 spot was the ideal spot.  Think the articles were on Baseball Prospectus but I very well could be wrong about that.

I know back in the day it lead to discussion at Brewerfan.net about how the ideal lineup should be 1. Weeks 2. Braun 3. Fielder.  That extra 50 at bats a year for both Braun and Fielder would have lead to a moderate amount of additional runs scored. 

I've always liked the idea of having a leadoff hitter that is high OBP with an ability to fight off a ton of pitches.  Weeks was an ideal leadoff hitter 5 years ago.  High OBP to set the table for Braun and Fielder.  He was always near the league lead in pitches seen per plate appearance.  The 2 hitter should be your best most dynamic hitter.  Braun was my ideal.  3 hitter should be your 2nd best hitter, ideally with a ton of power.  Fielder was great in that role. 

But, eh, it's been a few years since I was super into baseball analytics. 

Each spot in the lineup that you move is an extra 50 at bats over the course of a season.

So theoretically if you moved the 3 hitter to leadoff he would get about an extra 100 plate appearances.

Thats not accurate. You'd be looking at the leadoff hitter getting 450 more PA's than the #9 hitter.

I think you're looking at 16-18 PA's per spot in the lineup.

Thats not accurate. You'd be looking at the leadoff hitter getting 450 more PA's than the #9 hitter.

I think you're looking at 16-18 PA's per spot in the lineup.

you're almost spot-on. pulled from espn (2014 stats only):

1st - 750 PAs on average
2nd - 732 (-18)
3rd - 716 (-16)
4th - 700 (-16)
5th - 684 (-16)
6th - 665 (-19)
7th - 647 (-18)
8th - 628 (-19)
9th - 608 (-20)

Another one -- has WAR been calibrated to match up with actual team wins/losses or is it just a theoretical formula? Another way to say it -- you give me the WAR rating of every player on a team (even those who play 1 game) for the last season, the days they are going to play, and the team schedule (so the WAR of every opposing player) -- with what confidence can I predict actual Win/Loss record of the team's when the games were played?

Congrats! Look forward to reading your pieces

Another one -- has WAR been calibrated to match up with actual team wins/losses or is it just a theoretical formula? Another way to say it -- you give me the WAR rating of every player on a team (even those who play 1 game) for the last season, the days they are going to play, and the team schedule (so the WAR of every opposing player) -- with what confidence can I predict actual Win/Loss record of the team's when the games were played?

it's a theoretical formula that compares players rather than teams, so as far as i know, it is not calibrated to sync with actual team W-L records. i think there is naturally a fairly strong correlation between WAR and W-L records though as the better teams have better players, which is fairly obvious. i don't think 2014 WAR has much predictive value on 2015. it would be like trying to predict a player's performance without considering any kind of regression, diminishing/improving skills, etc. i know FG's WAR calculations for pitchers use FIP instead of ERA, for example, so there is some attempt to do that, but FIP isn't something that tracks year to year simply due to random variation. so this is all a long-winded way of saying: no, i don't think so.

Not asking about it's predictive power. I'm saying do some kind of a regression analysis or maximum likelihood model knowing every player's WAR and the outcome of the games to see how well it can be used to predict W-L records within a single season.

Even better if you could compare multiple variations of WAR and show one is superior on a year to year basis. It would be a pain in the effing ass to calculate via spreadsheet manipulation or something like that. If you guys have an efficient database and scripting capability, I think you could do it without too much trouble.

I almost want to do it..

Not asking about it's predictive power. I'm saying do some kind of a regression analysis or maximum likelihood model knowing every player's WAR and the outcome of the games to see how well it can be used to predict W-L records within a single season.

Even better if you could compare multiple variations of WAR and show one is superior on a year to year basis. It would be a pain in the effing ass to calculate via spreadsheet manipulation or something like that. If you guys have an efficient database and scripting capability, I think you could do it without too much trouble.

I almost want to do it..

The calculation wouldn't be so hard compared to the challenge of getting 162 x 30 (4800 something?) lineups input and then doing the 2400 game comparisons. A lot of smaller calculations rather than one nice 650 PA calc for one player.

To be clear you'd just be deciding who "should have won" each game based on total team WAR for that lineup that day using WAR as it was at the end of the season?