MLB Discussion

i was actually at the last non sellout for the pens. it was the day it was like -25 outside and they only did an online student rush, so i got tickets that way. most people either didn't know or didn't want to go out because it was colder than fuck. great game, but the cold kinda wrecked my car. the oil pump froze up, which then blew and was shooting oil all over the place. made the ride home fun.

mike, i wouldn't complain about PNC Park. the place is the best stadium in baseball. however, i prefer minor league games actually to major league games any day. i'm planning at being in erie for the seawolves opener in april.

Oh i love PNC Park, its so nice! I love going to see the Brewers there!

I like Jerry Uht Park in Erie.

Dodger Stadium FTW.

(Except the horrendous parking.)

Its gotten MUCH better. It used to be a train wreck now its just a five-car pile-up. But if you come in the right way you can get around some of the disaster, you just have to be willing to walk.

Better than paying $40 for parking outside Coors Field.

i was actually at the last non sellout for the pens. it was the day it was like -25 outside and they only did an online student rush, so i got tickets that way. most people either didn't know or didn't want to go out because it was colder than fuck. great game, but the cold kinda wrecked my car. the oil pump froze up, which then blew and was shooting oil all over the place. made the ride home fun.

mike, i wouldn't complain about PNC Park. the place is the best stadium in baseball. however, i prefer minor league games actually to major league games any day. i'm planning at being in erie for the seawolves opener in april.

Oh i love PNC Park, its so nice! I love going to see the Brewers there!

I like Jerry Uht Park in Erie.

yeah i went there last year. i was sitting right above the visitor's dugout for $10. it was great to sit that close and see everything. bad thing was a bat missed my head by about 18 inches and hit the seats 2 rows back. that shit comes fast and there's no netting there.

As a long time Pirate fan, but not from the city, it has always been my impression that the fans were fairly loyal and they still turned out for games. I mean sure there are very few sell outs (home opener, fireworks) but there are more fans to see a team that hasn't had a winning season in a very long time than there are to watch some teams that are doing well (Rays last year for example). Maybe I'm missing something, but that is my take on it.

Pirates have one of the smallest parks in baseball in terms of seating, I think in the bottom two or three, and they still barely sell half of the seats in a season. In 2008 they ranked 28 out of 30 in total (1,609,076) and average (20,113) attendance. I think the stadium holds 34,000? And this is a town of champions, the fans only flock to the teams when they do well, its such a fairweather fan town... when teams are playing poorly they won't spend a dime to support them. Look at the Pens in the early 2000's, playing terrible and not selling ANY tickets... but once they started winning, well they've sold out 90+ games in a row! When the pirates finally start winning again, PNC Park will be packed to the gills with people who don't really care about the Pirates.

Alright, but I still think 20,000 average attendance is good for a team that is consistently awful. I'm a fan and continue to get to 1-3 games a year which isn't many, but it is a roughly 3 hour drive each way for me. I am always amazed by how many people still show up especially later in the season. Any good player the Pirates may have had is gone after the deadline and they are only about 600 below .500 and they still have more people show up than some teams who are performing better. But again, I'm an outsider and could be completely mislead.

(Except the horrendous parking.)

Its gotten MUCH better. It used to be a train wreck now its just a five-car pile-up. But if you come in the right way you can get around some of the disaster, you just have to be willing to walk.

It took me 2+ hours to get from the parking lot entrance to a parking spot during Game 5 of the NLCS last year. Granted, it was a playoff game, but holy shit!

And no one should pay $40 for parking outside Coors field... park in LoDo and hoof it or take the train.

Pirates have one of the smallest parks in baseball in terms of seating, I think in the bottom two or three, and they still barely sell half of the seats in a season. In 2008 they ranked 28 out of 30 in total (1,609,076) and average (20,113) attendance. I think the stadium holds 34,000? And this is a town of champions, the fans only flock to the teams when they do well, its such a fairweather fan town... when teams are playing poorly they won't spend a dime to support them. Look at the Pens in the early 2000's, playing terrible and not selling ANY tickets... but once they started winning, well they've sold out 90+ games in a row! When the pirates finally start winning again, PNC Park will be packed to the gills with people who don't really care about the Pirates.

Alright, but I still think 20,000 average attendance is good for a team that is consistently awful. I'm a fan and continue to get to 1-3 games a year which isn't many, but it is a roughly 3 hour drive each way for me. I am always amazed by how many people still show up especially later in the season. Any good player the Pirates may have had is gone after the deadline and they are only about 600 below .500 and they still have more people show up than some teams who are performing better. But again, I'm an outsider and could be completely mislead.

I think why so many people still go to Pirates games late in the season is because they're people like me, fans of teams who come into town. ya know? plus, the Pirates played the Yankees, which sold out 3 days, so thats gunna skew the numbers a little bit ;)

It took me 2+ hours to get from the parking lot entrance to a parking spot during Game 5 of the NLCS last year. Granted, it was a playoff game, but holy shit!

And no one should pay $40 for parking outside Coors field... park in LoDo and hoof it or take the train.

Playoffs is a bit different, that place was packed. Crazy

I think why so many people still go to Pirates games late in the season is because they're people like me, fans of teams who come into town. ya know? plus, the Pirates played the Yankees, which sold out 3 days, so thats gunna skew the numbers a little bit ;)

Damn you and your good logical points. I still want to believe the Pirates draw pretty well for a bad team, but yeah it is a cheap and easy way to watch the other teams. Oh well.

and i thought the parking prices at Shea and the old Yankee Stadium were absurd. $40 takes the cake.

Still not sure why parking prices go up at all. Its not like they improve the lot outside of re-paving and I doubt Dodger Stadium's lot has ever been re-paved.

because people have to pay it, in most places it's the one thing aside from a ticket that someone has to buy so they can get away with raising it. but the teams' reasoning is probably inflation.

Brewers might be signing Branden Looper, which would be good because the starting 5 don't have the arms that have pitched a full seasons worth of innings... where as Looper has, even if its been mediocre like Suppan... its just another pitcher to have come in and just fill a roll