Trying to understand "Matrix" Numbers

As the topic name indicates I am trying to figure out this business about "Matrix" numbers, if that is even the correct name. and whether I would find it useful as a field in my database I am trying to build for my collection.   I'm referring to, of course,  the numbers etched into the runout section of the vinyl recording.   I hope those of you that know how new I am are impressed that I used the term "run out"!😉

I'm just not sure how usefule they are, especially if there is more than one.  Using my album of Lightning Hopkins, "The Texas Blues Man", it has 2 or 3 of these numbers.  On one side is  S81984 and F-1034 A.  On the other side s81985.  Using F1034 A in discogs I do get the correct album.  But the S81984 and 5 get me a variety of listings.  How do I know how to use these?  Which ones to use?  Is it unusual to have more than one?

You usually don’t need it to identify a pressing, but if it’s an album that’s been pressed a lot over the years then it may have multiple pressings that require using the matrix to identify the exact pressing. I wouldn’t make it a unique field of the database, but would drop it in the notes if needed. 

1 hour ago, Prestonlanes said:

I like it when it says something fun, like on 24-Hour Revenge Therapy..  Like "It Takes a Starving Man" on Side A and "To Eat a Blue Wiener" on Side B.

The "IF YOU CAN READ THIS TAKE A BATH." on the B-Side of Reinventing Axl Rose is one of my favorites. 

1 hour ago, Prestonlanes said:

I like it when it says something fun, like on 24-Hour Revenge Therapy..  Like "It Takes a Starving Man" on Side A and "To Eat a Blue Wiener" on Side B.

My favourite is Propagandhi - How To Clean Everything:

• (Side A): FAT 506-1A KKt L·41198 Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck
  • (Side B): FAT 506-1B L·41198-X Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck

2 hours ago, DarrenMcCall said:

You usually don’t need it to identify a pressing, but if it’s an album that’s been pressed a lot over the years then it may have multiple pressings that require using the matrix to identify the exact pressing. I wouldn’t make it a unique field of the database, but would drop it in the notes if needed. 

To add on to this, yeah while you may never have reason to identify a pressing just for yourself, it's good information to know for a few reasons:

1) If you're going to sell it, you should be able to tell what pressing it is.

2) For insurance purposes. I just use discogs as a catalogue of my records, but I make sure to always choose the correct pressing so if something happens I get the correct amount of money to replace it. It would suck to have a hard to find original pressing of a record, lose it in a fire and only get reimbursed for the most recent $20 pressing because you didn't catalogue the matrix, especially if the original sounds significantly better.