A pressing question — no pun intended

Hello. This is my first post here, and I have a particular question pertaining to vinyl pressing. I purchased two copies of Elton John's "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player" 50th anniversary issue this past Record Store Day. One is fine; the second one has multiple, inconsistent skipping, mostly confined to the first track, on both sides of both discs. 

I've had vinyl all my life, dating back to the Beatle's Second Album in 1964. I've had my share of new vinyl exhibiting pops and minor scratches, but this is the first time I've seen this kind of skipping pattern. It's hard for me to be certain, but the edges of the discs seem to be just a tad "fat" compared to the rest of the surfaces. 

I suspect the initial grooves of these first tracks are being influenced by this surface inconsistency, but I am interested in know anyone's thoughts on this. Because this was a limited pressing (2,000 copies, I believe), these records didn't come cheap, and I can't return them.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

As someone who has only had vinyl for about 20 years (and seriously collected for 12), I can say that I've had many experiences with pressing issues on newer vinyl, that I don't really see on pressings from the 80s and prior. I think when demand died with CDs, quality control became lackluster at the few remaining plants.

Just a guess...