McCain you clever bastard...

Guest baseball

I understand that and hear that a lot, but I don't quite buy it. People support drug reforms when they're brought up. The majority of Americans support medical marijuana and marijuana reform in polls. People support fixing disparities in crack/cocaine sentencing. Sure, radical reform might scare some people but everything doesn't need to be done at once, and it can't be.

I honestly believe the "fear of drug reform" is a media creation. There's really not a ton of evidence that supports it. Nowadays there's so much data that points to reforms being necessary that anyone with half a brain can see where the Democrats would be coming from. The only thing a reform campaign needs is an accompanying PR campaign.

Didn't you hear about that kid who got stabbed?

Also, I see the hesitancy of drug reform resting on politicians. For so many years it's been "All drugs are bad...all of them". At this point to say, "Okay....so these ones are okay and these ones are bad but there's now different laws for them" would be a huge undertaking. Does it need to occur? Absolutely. But to even waver on one drug (like marijuana) would require a reevaluation of every drug policy currently in effect and it's clear that they'd rather just arrest folks than put in the time and effort to change it.

Then it all comes down to educating the public I guess doesn't it? Tough task though considering all the combined budgets of drug reform groups are like a quarter of that of the drug czar's office who's job is basically to lie to the public.

I think the best we can hope for at this point is Obama gets elected and appoints a drug czar that isn't completely off his rocker. Obama gets drug reform to an extent, he's called for some reforms publically in the past. He's not stupid, I suspect he 'gets it' more in private than he does in public. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't you hear about that kid who got stabbed?

Also, I see the hesitancy of drug reform resting on politicians. For so many years it's been "All drugs are bad...all of them". At this point to say, "Okay....so these ones are okay and these ones are bad but there's now different laws for them" would be a huge undertaking. Does it need to occur? Absolutely. But to even waver on one drug (like marijuana) would require a reevaluation of every drug policy currently in effect and it's clear that they'd rather just arrest folks than put in the time and effort to change it.

Then it all comes down to educating the public I guess doesn't it? Tough task though considering all the combined budgets of drug reform groups are like a quarter of that of the drug czar's office who's job is basically to lie to the public.

I think the best we can hope for at this point is Obama gets elected and appoints a drug czar that isn't completely off his rocker. Obama gets drug reform to an extent, he's called for some reforms publically in the past. He's not stupid, I suspect he 'gets it' more in private than he does in public. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

It would take a second term for Obama to see drug reform. That's not something a president is going to do in his first term.

Guest baseball

It would take a second term for Obama to see drug reform. That's not something a president is going to do in his first term.

Well I know there wouldn't be radical reform. But there could definitely be some. Obama has said before he supports harm reduction techniques. I think we could definitely see harm reduction techniques put in place where there are currently criminal ones. Things like needle exchanges, safe injection clinics, drug courts, stopping federal medical marijuana raids, etc. Obama has talked about that stuff in the past.

Who knows, maybe even federal (not state) marijuana decriminalization (not legalization) if we're lucky. Last poll I saw decriminalization support was pushing 70% in Massachusetts, it's on the ballot there this year.

You have to start somewhere, you know. There's hundreds of small reforms that most people wouldn't even notice if they were changed.

Well I know there wouldn't be radical reform. But there could definitely be some. Obama has said before he supports harm reduction techniques. I think we could definitely see harm reduction techniques put in place where there are currently criminal ones. Things like needle exchanges, safe injection clinics, drug courts, stopping federal medical marijuana raids, etc. Obama has talked about that stuff in the past.

Who knows, maybe even federal (not state) marijuana decriminalization (not legalization) if we're lucky. Last poll I saw decriminalization support was pushing 70% in Massachusetts, it's on the ballot there this year.

You have to start somewhere, you know. There's hundreds of small reforms that most people wouldn't even notice if they were changed.

You'd think 12 years of Coked presidents would yield some drug reform.

This is the only way that McCain can reach over to those disenfranchised Clinton supporters, and that is said. I am sure there are millions of women who see through this ploy, yet there is so much animosity towards the whole "shit's rigged!" with all these women, that they will want to see a woman in power. Their estrogen levels are making them not think clearly. As I said, this isn't all women, but definitely a good chunk.

The debates will seal the fate of the election. Hopefully Biden can handle his hairpiece.

My Dad and I were having a couple drinks last night, and in his infinite wisdom he gave me some very good, comforting encouragemnet that mcain won't win: America will never elect a president and vice president from Arizona and Alaska.

all redicoulousness aside, if we do somehow manage to elect grandpa time, i will give up on this damn country once and for all.

My Dad and I were having a couple drinks last night, and in his infinite wisdom he gave me some very good, comforting encouragemnet that mcain won't win: America will never elect a president and vice president from Arizona and Alaska.

all redicoulousness aside, if we do somehow manage to elect grandpa time, i will give up on this damn country once and for all.

Wasn't this announced this morning. How did your dad know? Is he a psychic?

Why not Arizona and Alaska?

Wasn't this announced this morning. How did your dad know? Is he a psychic?

His dad is John McCain.

On the bright side this means the Clintons will move heaven and earth to get Obama elected, because there is no way in hell they're going to let her get Hilary's glory as first women in the Oval.

So true. Plus both gave outstanding speeches. I wouldn't be surprised to see them campaigning for Obama for the next couple of months.

On the bright side this means the Clintons will move heaven and earth to get Obama elected, because there is no way in hell they're going to let her get Hilary's glory as first women in the Oval.

So true. Plus both gave outstanding speeches. I wouldn't be surprised to see them campaigning for Obama for the next couple of months.

Most definitely they will. In part because Hillary would love a cabinet position in Obama's administration. She probably has her eye on the Secretary of State or something.

Most definitely they will. In part because Hillary would love a cabinet position in Obama's administration. She probably has her eye on the Secretary of State or something.

I think that would be an outstanding position for her to be honest. Madeleine Albright did an amazing job in the Clinton Administration and I think Clinton would do an amazing job in the Obama Administration, if (and hopefully when) it comes to pass.

Policy aside, I am really looking forward to an Obama victory in the changes it will bring to the DC culture. 8 years of being entrenched in the horrible Bush administration and the people who have been part of that has been brutal. All of the preppy, ambitious young conservatives are intolerable.

Shes pro-life, pro-guns.. 2 years as Alaska's governor (aka smallest bit of government experience possible), has a child with CP (cerebral palsy) and is younger then Obama.

I'd say its a cheap trick to get the stupid people who think Clinton got screwed. It will balance out his chances in the end. I think Biden will do a better job on the campaign trail.

Personally, I can't wait for the VP debates, this is gonna be gooood

See, you say that now, but just wait until Obama & Biden absolutely shred McCain & Palin in the debates, then millions of Americans decide to vote Republican anyway because they "felt sorry for them" and "can't identify with those intellectual types anyway" and decide they want a Pres/VP they could "imagine having a beer with."

Personally, I can't wait for the VP debates, this is gonna be gooood

See, you say that now, but just wait until Obama & Biden absolutely shred McCain & Palin in the debates, then millions of Americans decide to vote Republican anyway because they "felt sorry for them" and "can't identify with those intellectual types anyway" and decide they want a Pres/VP they could "imagine having a beer with."

I would never want to have a beer with McCain, I'd be too scared his liver would fail and he'd have a heart attack from the nachos we'd be sharing

I would never want to have a beer with McCain, I'd be too scared his liver would fail and he'd have a heart attack from the nachos we'd be sharing

;D

Actually, I'd love to have a beer with Obama. I think he'd be a really interesting guy to talk to. But I'm also a pretty bad Average American (I don't even really like apple pie).