Hurricane Ike

silentgods

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also advice from my local vinyl shop is awesome.

Hello, Hello!

If I may pull your attention away from all of your hurricane tracking efforts for just a moment, I think I may be able to offer some important Vinal Edge information as well as some great tips for "Hunkering Down"!

VINAL EDGE CLOSED FRIDAY & SATURDAY

That's right! Ike has swept us off our feet and into the safety of our homes! We've boarded up the windows at the Edge and won't be making any appearances there for the next two days.

Sunday is still up in the air as we await precise instructions from a chief meteorologist!

GREAT TIPS FOR "HUNKERING DOWN"

So I know a lot of people that live in Houston and shop at Vinal Edge are not native Houstonians. Some of you may be experiencing mild to severe anxiety over this storm and I'd like to offer some suggestions to make this time as enjoyable as possible.

1. Try this today. Go to any grocery store and grab a shopping cart. Quickly fill your entire cart with one specific nonessential item, such as sweet rolls. Now frantically push your cart around and ask anyone within earshot if they know of any other stores that carry sweet rolls. The key here is to look as desperate as possible. You will have literally created a mass run on sweet rolls in the city. Nobody will know why they are buying the sweet rolls, but trust me, every sweet roll in the city will be gone by 2:00 PM.

Now you can sit back on your couch, enjoy a sweet roll and wait for the story to hit the news at 9:00! Be sure to keep your receipts!

2. Turn on Channel 11 (KHOU Houston) at some point today and enjoy the tension between former chief meteorologist (and current "hurricane expert") Neil Frank and current chief meteorologist Gene Norman.

They correct each other at every opportunity and, make no mistake, they hate each other with great intensity! It's great TV!

3. "Hunker Down" with David Bowie's "Hunky Dory." Vinyl preferable, but compact disc still works too.

4. If your electricity goes out, make the most of it. Have a meaningful conversation with a loved one, do a crossword puzzle, or try this- see if your iPod can float! I bet it can't, but you should try and prove me wrong.

5. Take down your mailbox. Dig it up if you have to. Make sure to take a long time at it so as many neighbors notice as possible. Then have a laugh tomorrow at how many mailboxes on your street are gone! The power of suggestion increases exponentially during times of crisis! It's hilarious.

That's it for now. Everyone be safe and take care of one another out there. All joking aside, as you're going about your day the next few days, check in with loved ones and help a neighbor out. Let the mom in the minivan have that parking space- let the slightly bewildered senior get his gas first.

Kindness and caring are just as infectious as buying sweet rolls for no apparent reason