NHL Discussion

im glad detroit is out of the west and we only have to deal with their annoying ass "fans" invading staples center once a year now.

Also FL & TBL got screwed bigtime

Yeah no shit. I didn't see that initially. Seems like they only did that to keep the rivals in the East playing together more often. Seriously shafted.

I wasn't surprised by the game last night. It's one of the new/great rivalries in the league. Columbus played their ass off last night. Every time we play them I know it could go either way. Bobrovsky played ridiculous goaltending. Bummed about the Hawks/Wings rivalry done for now.

Hawks/Wings are still going to play each other, it'll still be a rivalry.  theres no cross conference games this year because of the condensed schedule, it'll go back to biz as uge next season and there will probably be 2-4 DET/CHI games instead of 8. 

I know that, but looking at that map, and how everyone is divided up, it makes more sense to keep them in the east, and move the florida teams into a division with more southern teams.  TB's GM already bitched a ton about how their travel is going to negatively impact their franchise

If you think their travel is bad now it would be 10c worse being in the west, I get putting em with Nashville and St. Louis but the rest of the west would be a killer. In any solution some teams are gonna get the shaft.

It would make most sense to me for the Florida teams to be with Carolina etc and sacrifice the division rivalrys and move det/col & Philly/pit to the the other east division

I didnt say put them with the west.  the division would be Stl, Chi, Nash, Dallas, Fla, Tb, Col and the west division would stay as is.  

that would still be a division in the western conference though.

or wait, do they only play their divisions more than twice in the new alignment? i know they do a home and home with every team in the league. but i was under the impression they still play the other division in their conference more than 2 times.

if they don't then yes your idea woulda worked.

A breakdown of the new schedule matrix created for the new alignment plan:

Western Conference (7-team divisions)

Within Conference (Division): 29 games

* 5 games vs. five teams (3 Home/2 Away vs. two teams, 2 Home/3 Away vs. three teams) AND 4 games vs. one team (2 Home/2 Away). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 5 X 5 =25 games

* 1 X 4 = 4 games

Within Conference (Non-Division): 21 games

* 3 games vs. each team (2 Home/1 Away vs. four teams, 1 Home/2 Away vs. three teams). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 3 X 7 = 21 games

Non-Conference: 32 games

* 2 games vs. each team (1 Home/1 Away)

* 2 X 16 = 32 games

(Exception: one team from each division plays one less game inside Division and one more game inside Conference outside Division)

Eastern Conference (8-team divisions)

Within Conference (Division): 30 games

* 5 games vs. two teams (3 Home/2 Away vs. one team, 2 Home/3 Away vs. one team) AND 4 games vs. five teams (2 Home/2 Away). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 5 X 2 =10 games

* 4 X 5 = 20 games

Within Conference (Non-Division): 24 games

* 3 games vs. each team (2 Home/1 Away vs. four teams, 1 Home/2 Away vs. four teams). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 3 X 8 = 24 games

Non-Conference: 28 games

* 2 games vs. each team (1 Home/1 Away)

* 2 X 14 = 28 games