TP/PO: FAKE PROBLEMS/LOOK MEXICO Under the Influen

Guest admin1338560633

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You clearly give a fuck about the band if you'd waste your time posting here.

Whatever, man. They played at the venue where I work and sucked as people AND at music. Just sharing.

If you have a problem with them...contact them about it. I'm sure you're on myspace as I'm typing this, send 'em an e-mail or P.M....don't bitch about it to people who dig what they do. Which venue is it that you work at?

Whatever, man. They played at the venue where I work and sucked as people AND at music. Just sharing.

If you have a problem with them...contact them about it. I'm sure you're on myspace as I'm typing this, send 'em an e-mail or P.M....don't bitch about it to people who dig what they do. Which venue is it that you work at?

I work at The Mink. It's a small bar on Main St.

I work at The Mink. It's a small bar on Main St.

stellar...I'll be sure to steer clear next time I'm out that way (maybe this weekend)

srsly dude. should the band go further into debt and not get the money they were promised because the town they're playing gets hit by god? I mean if they yelled at the promoter to get their cash or bad mouthed the town or started fights i could see calling them assholes, but not liking their music and being pissed they got paid their guarantee is retarded.

I have a hard time believing that these guys could be assholes. They're really nice dudes. If I play a show with a shitty turnout, and am promised money, I want that money, regardless of the situation. Traveling is expensive.

As a matter of fact, this happened a couple weeks ago, so I can totally relate.

These guys share little to no resemblance to Against Me! too, so really, just stop pointing fingers.

In response to the person who works at the Mink, I am sorry you had a bad experience with the band. I have met the guys a few times and can only say great things about them. About the fact that the band wanted the money guaranteed to them, that is an agreement made between the promoter and their agent. If the weather was so bad, I would think that the promoter would have just canceled the show and worked it out with the booking agent. Promoters agree to guarantees and you can't blame the band for wanting said guarantee. Promoting shows is a tough business. There is a risk in booking shows, sometimes you do well, sometimes you don't.

About not being a fan of their music, you are entitled to your opinion. I love the band and think the world of them and I can't wait til everyone hears their new album which is fucking brilliant.

Guest genericinsight
everyones entitled to their opinions..

Agreed, but blatantly insulting folks who listen to them and are excited for their release by coming into the thread and trying to list everything you think is wrong with them... that's stupid.

everyones entitled to their opinions..

Agreed, but blatantly insulting folks who listen to them and are excited for their release by coming into the thread and trying to list everything you think is wrong with them... that's stupid.

I'm sorry that you took it personally. I listen to lots of music, and if someone explains to me what exactly they don't like about it, I'm not going to take it personally. A reason is always better than a "uhhh they suck." If you said "The Real Kids suck" I'd probably think you were an idiot, but if you said "The singles are decent, but they put out way to many records and most of them are kinda boring. Also, I'd rather just listen to The Modern Lovers than that cheesy rock n'roll bullshit..." I'd totally respect your opinion, even though I love them.

wait, people don't like Fake Problems?

I had never heard of this band until last week, but they played at a bar I work at and were horrible. Not only was the music straight up trash, they were assholes. Houston just got hit really hard by a hurricane and most people in the city are trying to get their lives back in order, not worrying about going to see bands, so there was a pretty small turnout. I watched the promoter pay them hundreds of dollars out of his pocket because they didn't care that the city was going through a rough time. Total trash.

The music alone, god. Is no one else sick to death of all these bands popping up who were like driving home from a frat party, and against me came on the radio, so they all thought "hey! lets start a band like this!"... "The Clash? Never heard of them... but if were as boring as possible maybe well get huge"

Little late to the party but I'd like to chime in as I consider these guys friends.

1) Don't sit there and be like, "Hey I just talked about the music, it's an opinion". You called the band assholes and insulted their motives for playing the music they do. That's not "I dislike the singles, it seems uninspired". That's, "These guys are assholes and are only playing the music to get famous". Way to make the logic jump.

2) Their guarantee is usually only a couple hundred dollars (and has been less). So unless your friend booked a special one off show, he shouldn't have been paying a ton of cash. Additionally that's the risk you take being a promoter. Can't take a hit on a show? Don't book the band. If the show has a shitty turn out, cancel it or don't book it. If there had been 300 kids there and he made a shit ton, do you think he would have just turned it over to the band?

I can't speak for every time they leave the house but my experiences with them have been nothing but great. Friendly dudes, always willing to share, super grateful to anyone who helps them out and genuinely stoked on the music they play. I don't even understand how your experience with them was negative (apart from not liking the music) as it was just following through on an agreement.

Also, about the new album, they played a few cuts at the Bay Area show and let me hear a song or two off the CD. Shit is off the hook! Some of it will reinforce the Against Me! comparisons but I really dig it.

On a side note, we were listening in my car and they got the call to load in. I totally turned the car off like, "Well time to go" (trying to keep the CD) and Chris was like, "you better give that shit back before we have to kill you" (OMG I'm so cool right?). Anyhow, they're really trying to keep this tight, so hopefully it doesn't leak too much.

Guest genericinsight

I'm sorry that you took it personally. I listen to lots of music, and if someone explains to me what exactly they don't like about it, I'm not going to take it personally. A reason is always better than a "uhhh they suck." If you said "The Real Kids suck" I'd probably think you were an idiot, but if you said "The singles are decent, but they put out way to many records and most of them are kinda boring. Also, I'd rather just listen to The Modern Lovers than that cheesy rock n'roll bullshit..." I'd totally respect your opinion, even though I love them.

*Edit: Dante basically said everything I said, no need to reiterate.

In regards to booking shows, it's the truth. Another option is to try and compromise with the band in the event that you can't the band their full guarantee (which I've done on the off chance that the show doesn't do well). You really don't know what the turnout is going to be like until the show happens - you can flyer and promote until the cows come home but sometimes shit happens and people just don't come out. Or, you can do little to no promotion and people will pack the venue. It's a win-lose situation.

I think perhaps a good move would have been to explain to the band beforehand (your friend, the promoter) that due to the recent hurricane folks may not come out, and he should have thought maybe it was a wise idea to continue with the show at all if that were the case. I've known PLENTY of promoters who pay bands out of pocket in order to meet a band's guarantee if they don't make enough to pay them.

You also have to consider other expenses promoters have too, if there are any: rental of the hall/venue, or rental for PA or sound if needed. Bands and their guarantees can be compromised but not all rentals can be - most of the time you NEED to pay exactly what those prices are. I personally consider paying the bands the most important thing when I book shows, but other promoters may not work like me.

You didn't even give a reason, you just said the music was trash and that they were assholes. Also that you thought they were frat boys who were mocking Against Me!

You also introduced your thoughts by simply saying "Wait, people actually like this band?" which was a clear indication you were looking to start an argument about it... and that to me is also insulting the people who do like them.

I honestly had no idea anyone would even care about my comment, assuming mature fans of the band would brush it off as shit talk. Neverrmindddd.

Guest genericinsight

You didn't even give a reason, you just said the music was trash and that they were assholes. Also that you thought they were frat boys who were mocking Against Me!

You also introduced your thoughts by simply saying "Wait, people actually like this band?" which was a clear indication you were looking to start an argument about it... and that to me is also insulting the people who do like them.

I honestly had no idea anyone would even care about my comment, assuming mature bands of the band would brush it off as shit talk. Neverrmindddd.

So now you're saying that we're not mature? I only chimed in because I felt the reasons you were giving were invalid and illogical.