CMJ '08 - NYC

Guest genericinsight

Guest genericinsight

It's two weeks away and somehow I've still yet to hear about many showcases this year.

So far I know of:

Oct 22nd - Look Mexico @ Crash Mansion

same day - Fake Problems @ the Annex

Oct 23rd - FP, LM, Teenage Bottlerocket @ Knitting Factory (same venue - Tombs upstairs, and Anthony Green solo and a Recover reunion in the main room)

Oct 24th - Young Hearts and For Science @ the Mean Fiddler

Sonic Boom Six has a CMJ show listed for the 23rd on their Myspace page but no other specifications for venue, other bands, etc.

There is also a huge CMJ show at the Fillmore (Irving Plaza) with Thursday, Trash Talk and Torche but I don't know which day it is.

Does anyone know of any others that I might not know about? I'm surprised I haven't heard about many this year.

CMJ's website has nothing listed yet as far as schedules go.

Anyone going to CMJ should clear their schedule for the Cool Kids -- those guys will be HUGE. One of the best live hip-hop acts I've ever seen.

I saw the cool kids at sxsw this year. they were practically performing less than a foot in front of me on top of chairs so people could see them (the "venue" was just a big room and bands played in the a VERY small corner of the room). Good stuff. Their banter was funny.

Guest genericinsight
could someone explain to a total n00b exactly what cmj is?

College Music Journal

It's a general college music magazine that hosts a four-day, NYC city-wide music "festival" (really individual music showcases all over the city) every fall, generally around October-November. All sorts of bands play different shows all over the city mostly for music industry types (label execs, radio stations and college radio, etc.) but most if not all showcases are generally open to the public.

Sometimes individual indie labels host label showcases with most of their roster. It's neat.

http://www.cmj.com/marathon/

*If I got any of this wrong, please feel free to correct me, this is just what I've gathered from all my years of going.

Guest genericinsight
[image]

[image]

trash talk, 2 shows one day. another house show being added.

Ah sweet, I didn't realize those were CMJ shows. I might go to the first one.

i heard a rumor either thursday or united nations will be playing that show with the bronx...its probs not true. but something to poss. look out for.

and im kinda upset i cant really attend any cmj shows as im going to neverender...i heard recover + reunion + nyc and got stoked and then bummed that its the same night as iksse3.