TP/PO: AVAIL over the james,4am friday,dixie vinyl

Guest admin1338560633

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please explain....are you saying Avail doesn't tour anymore because they aren't as popular? If so, that really sucks. Either way, they will be popular on my record player!

I can't really speak FOR the band, but their popularity has been dwindling the past few years and thus not coming home with much money doesn't help...which is only made worse by the fact that they're still one of, if not the best live bands around. still.

Please explain....are you saying Avail doesn't tour anymore because they aren't as popular? If so, that really sucks. Either way, they will be popular on my record player!

I can't really speak FOR the band, but their popularity has been dwindling the past few years and thus not coming home with much money doesn't help...which is only made worse by the fact that they're still one of, if not the best live bands around. still.

I'd say a large part to their popularity dwindling has a lot to do with the fact that they dont tour though... in addition to the lack of new material. But I can 110% agree that (apart from Bad Religion, well, because to me no one will ever top them) Avail are by far the best live band... like, the handful of Avail shows I've been to have been so utterly insane in the best way possible that I don't think they can be topped. Especially seeing them in Richmond of all places every time.

I'd say a large part to their popularity dwindling has a lot to do with the fact that they dont tour though... in addition to the lack of new material. But I can 110% agree that (apart from Bad Religion, well, because to me no one will ever top them) Avail are by far the best live band... like, the handful of Avail shows I've been to have been so utterly insane in the best way possible that I don't think they can be topped. Especially seeing them in Richmond of all places every time.

ditto to that......my favorite show of all time was avail and boy sets fire in 99. runner up is agent orange for sure.

it's a double edged sword...because when they do tour their fans, being mostly (getting) older, have families and jobs now that prevent them from getting out to early all ages shows...and given they don't tour as much and the younger generation of kids don't know their importance, they're lost in the shuffle.

I talked with Tim about this a few years ago, he said they had never played a 21+ show ever, and they were thinking they'd need to start playing 2 shows in a few cities to allow some of their old friends/fans to make it out to see them.

The major difference to now compared to back then was that Avail was unavoidable in the mid-to-late 90's. everywhere you went it seemed like EVERYONE had an Avail patch on something they were wearing....and when you see that kind of constant reminder en masse...you think to yourself, I should check that band out...now for the most part, patches are passe and are seldom worn by most of the people at shows.

So I think it's our duty to make mix CDs of Avail songs and give them to kids, I guess...the only problem with that is Avail doesn't really sound like anybody that kids listen to nowadays...but if there was a way to slap the bullshit christian metalcore, terrible street punk and "boy band pop" masquerading as pop punk out of kids and see some of them wise up...Avail would be the band to do it...

Avail is the greatest live band I have ever seen, 14 times and each one of them mind-blowing. The level of sincerity is unparrallel. I just don't think the kids of today, I am not some jaded asshole (but we all have to admit things changed after 2000/Vagrant), could really understand this band or kind of music.

Avail is the greatest live band I have ever seen, 14 times and each one of them mind-blowing. The level of sincerity is unparrallel. I just don't think the kids of today, I am not some jaded asshole (but we all have to admit things changed after 2000/Vagrant), could really understand this band or kind of music.

I agree, I'm not trying to be the jaded asshole either, despite the tone of my previous post...

Avail always operated on another level...and for the most part I don't think a lot of younger people could wrap their head around that band. It was particularly telling last year at the Fest, when after they played Aaron Danger was like oh my god, I totally understand that band now...I never really got it until now.

and that's EVERYONE's reaction...you may like their records, but you don't truly get it until you've seen them play live.

edit: Aaron's reaction was preceded by 5 minutes of him laughing and freaking out about how crazy I was going off during Avail's set, so if you're one of the 5 or 6 people I apparently face palmed while blindly going apeshit, I apologize.

Absolutely true, I was at Fest 6 myself, and a friend of mine who could never drink the Kool-Aid on those guys realized what he had been missing. I had the fortune to have never heard Avail before seeing them. I was 16 and 4am Friday had just been released and the Violent Femmes cover totally sold me. Avail rules, hands down.

Absolutely true, I was at Fest 6 myself, and a friend of mine who could never drink the Kool-Aid on those guys realized what he had been missing. I had the fortune to have never heard Avail before seeing them. I was 16 and 4am Friday had just been released and the Violent Femmes cover totally sold me. Avail rules, hands down.

when i saw them for the first time in 98 it was unreal, I had never heard them before the show, me and my friends went to the show just because when we were at fireside, all everyone was talking about was "Avail is coming to play again! Avail is coming to play again!" etc... and like I said, EVERYONE had Avail patches on everything...so we talked to the door guy about it,he said we could get tickets to the show if we came the day of(I think it was sold out in advance) and because we were these young kids who were, I don't know, wide eyed and enthusiastic, he said he'd make sure we would get in because he thought it'd be a good show for us to see...he was selling us on Avail as a band....big time. and that show changed my life...there's no other way to describe it.

I remember the first itme I saw Avail. Not sure the year, but they played in this old movie theatre with Discount. I saw them open for HWM in Melbourne shortly afterwards.

I agree with Justin, they are much like Fugazi in the respect that they don't give a fuck about what people think, they do things their way and on their terms.

My wife, who hates punk rock, knows that my 5 favorite bands of all time include Avail.

Yeah.......punk rock NEEDS Avail.