NBA Discussion

Oh my, who in the west is gonna take one of the top 3 seeds from them? You have the Lakers, the Thunder and the Spurs in the West. You put the Clips above them? They will have the 1 or 2 seed, i honestly don't see the Lakers doing much... but that's mostly cause i'm a Spurs fan and i happen to think that Dwight Howard is just as much of a mental midget as Bynum was. Anywho, who's your favorite team? Location is Tx, but i hope you don't like the Mavs though :)

Lets be serious here for a second, the Lakers will make the playoffs in their sleep and once they get in who in the West is going to beat them 4 times in 7 games? No one, fucking no one! This isnt even cause Im a Laker fan, there's just no team in the West with 2 bigs to match up to Howard (far and away the best center in the league) and Gasol (one of the best PF's in the league). Gasol is much much better when he doesnt have to play center and he'll be at PF all year where he can dominate. Plus Kobe is still Kobe and better than about 99% of players in the league when he wants to be and he's playing with a future HOF point guard for the first time in his career. The Lakers will be fine, I kinda see them strugging to start the year while learning to play together but by the time the playoffs come around they should be good to go and just dominate teams.

The Lakers are still susceptible to get beaten by quick guards considering who they have. While it might be harder to score on drives because of Howard, the PG would collapse the defense at which point they can kick it out to open shooters on the perimeter. Basically I'm saying OKC matches up well with them, they might not beat them, but it would be close and the Lakers wouldn't dominate a series in any fashion.

The ONLY teams in the West who could possibly challenge the Lakers in a 7 game series is OKC and the Spurs. Sorry but Denver has absolutely no shot of beating the Lakers in the playoffs. They arent bad but there are clearly 3 teams in the West who are way better than everyone else. What point guards besides Westbrook and Parker are going to be good enough to run all over the Lakers and cause enough problems to keep beating them in a playoff series? If they Lakers get their chemistry together, no one can beat them in the West and I really dont even think the Heat can either.

I think the Lakers will struggle to start the year but finish in the top 3 in the West and make it thru the Finals.

Stern cant wait to see a Lakers/Heat Finals haha.

i love how no one's even acknowledging the celtics in this thread. ya know.. the team who rightfully should have been in the finals last year. and who got substantially better in the offseason.

sorry, game 2. but anyways.

When Rondo missed a layup with 1:33 left, Miami took advantage, with Udonis Haslem getting a dunk to put the Heat up 105-103. And after a turnover on the next Boston possession, Wade drove the lane, hit the deck and watched as his layup bounced on the rim and dropped through.

this was the single biggest momentum shift of the playoffs. rondo gets raped, and a court-long outlet pass is made for 2 on the other end. instead of free throws for the celtics. this was also following 3 straight possessions of rondo scoring. he was on a roll, and just like that, terrible officiating (which was in-fucking-arguably miami-favored throughout the series/post-season/season) completely changed the game.

To start, you guys had no business being in the NBA finals that year anyway. Much less beating the heat... You and I both know that series was dictated by poor officiating and an ailing spurs team. It didn't help in the finals that y'all had little to no defense, and that dirk wasn't in the place in his career to carry a team all the way through. I will say you guys deserved it in 2010 though, when dirk was unstoppable and healthy.

Ahh gotcha. I'd say it's a stretch at best to say it LITERALLY would have put them in the finals considering how early it was in the series but I see what you mean. Also, I had to sit through the '06 finals where Wade lived at the line so I know the feeling.

thought i responded to this earlier. but yes, "literally" was a bit much, but i also said that remembering it happening in game 6.

To start, you guys had no business being in the NBA finals that year anyway. Much less beating the heat... You and I both know that series was dictated by poor officiating and an ailing spurs team. It didn't help in the finals that y'all had little to no defense, and that dirk wasn't in the place in his career to carry a team all the way through. I will say you guys deserved it in 2010 though, when dirk was unstoppable and healthy.

Injuries are part of life, you can't discount what one team did over another because of them because you'll never get to the bottom of it. And that aside, we most definitely deserved to win it that year, because for all our faults the Heat were worse. I also don't think it can be overstated how much the referees literally (ha) gave the Heat the series. Most egregious officiating I've personally witnessed besides Kings/Lakers in '02. The Mavs did choke on free throws a few times at end of game situations, but Miami really shouldn't have been in the game a lot of the time.

For me, though, the next year when we had the 67-win team is almost as haunting, because we could have easily beat every other team in the playoffs that year except the Warriors, who just completely owned us the whole season. That Cavs team was probably the worst finals team ever, yet another gift for Spurs fans.

You guys made some good solid moves this off season, you took Caveman Kaman from us (which i wasn't happy about). But you can have that injury ridden big man, i'm interested to see how much better off teams start this season. Having missed out on training camp last year, i thought the quality of play was perfectly fine considering everyone was playing 3-4 games a week (which might i add, i LOVED!). I love seeing everyone at their best, fuck this "small market" "big market" bull shit. As a Spurs fan i can actually say we are probably the reason all that bull shit sprung up anyway. Stern hates San Antonio, always has... That's why he continues to let Joey fucking Crawford officiate Spurs games, even after obviously having a grudge against one our players. That was almost the downfall of officiating in my opinion... T'ing up someone for laughing on the bench with his teammates? Wait, not just T'ing up Duncan... but ejecting him?!?! WOW! And what did you mean by "Another gift"?? There's no way you could be implying we don't deserve any of our Rings... could you?!?!

Nah, they were deserved. Another gift in that the entire scenario that transpired for SA to get Duncan (from the Robinson injury, to winning the lottery) was so perfect it's almost inconceivable. And then that 07 ring just gave my annoying Spurs friends so much more ammo to trash talk.

I thought the quality of play was noticeably lower last season. So many games I watched where one or both teams had no energy after playing like 4 in 5 or back-to-back-to-back.

Yeah, i totally know what you mean. We had the most back-to-back-to-backs last season at 3. But i'm super excited about next week! Nothing better than the month of October. It's like the only month you have everything! College Football, MLB Playoffs, NFL and Basketball! Gotta love it!