NBA Discussion

• 3 weeks later...

Spurs.png

Gotta love the personal vendetta Stern has out for Pop. It's bullshit Joey Crawford can still ref Spurs games even though he obviously has something against the guy. And if Stern knew a fucking thing about the Spurs as an organization, or about Pop for that matter... He would know its what Pop does, he rests guys...

Thunder lost :(

I feel like love had his first ~complete game of the season, pek did his thing in the first half, shved did his best rubio impression with 12 assists, barea did what he does best (shoot a bunch and penetrate, though not always with great results), and kirilenko did a bit of everything while guarding durant.  I love watching this team

and I think I can confidently say that the wolves are the best team in the last ~20 years with an all white starting lineup :)

• 2 weeks later...

Travis, you've been very quiet about the Lakers lately

Nothing to even say, this team is an embarrassment. I blame D'Antoni, that guy is a fucking moron.

There's no way this team should be 4-5 games under .500 or whatever they are. I dont even stress about catching the games on TV anymore, its a joke. I still cant wrap my head around why they hired D'Antoni over Phil. One of the worst front office moves ever made by any team in any sport and the Lakers generally have one of th best front offices in all of sports. I guarantee if Phil was coaching this team they would be a top 5 team in the West right now.

D'Antoni obviously cant coach unless he has Nash on his team and obviously cant adapt his system to the personell he has. He's forcing an offensive system that just doesnt work with the players he has. Also the players on this team are perfect for the triangle offense, Phil really knows how to use the bigs to his advantage over other teams. I could coach this team to the fucking playoffs, all you have to do is say hey guys, go play basketball. When Bickerstaff was the interim head coach they went 4-1 and basically didnt run an offensive system at all. He just told them to go out there and play basketball. D'Atoni comes in and forces this all 3-point shooting offense on a team who's obvious #1 advantage is their bigs. He doesnt use his bigs at all. He makes Gasol hang out around the goddamn 3 point line all game and then benches him at the end of the games and puts Meeks in to throw up a bunch of 3's and never go in. He evens said you cant have 2 guys post up at the same time. Those words came out of a NBA head coach's mouth. All you gotta do is post up Dwight high and post up Gasol down low. Run the pick and roll with Nash/Howard or dump it down low to Gasol, maybe the best passing big in the league. Also, D'Antoni has no idea what defense is and once said in an interview that the team busted their ass in practice on defense that day for 30 minutes. Yes, you give up 400 points a game, lets work on defense for 30 whole minutes, that should get the team going in the right direction. I guess I did actually have something to say haha.

/rant

I can't stand the Lakers, but well said. Another problem is just as Kobe said (when they lost to my downward spiral of a team in the 76ers), they are "old as shit." If this team were assembled 5-8 years ago under Phil, you would have a team that could wipe the floor with Miami and even give the Chicago Bulls (in they heyday) are run for their money. Let's face it the building blacks of this team (with exception of Howard) have been in this league for over 10 years now. Hell, Howard is two away from being a part of that group. Adding old ass talent may have worked in the past for the Lakers (Malone and Payton) but at the end of the day they had a much younger, hungry and athletic Kobe, Shaq in his prime and a still very committed and eager Phil Jackson. This is now a team of has-beens. Dwight still has some left in the tank, but that injury set him back and he may never be the player he was again. Kobe will always be Kobe just like Duncan is still Duncan. Antawan Jamison, Metta World Peace, Pau Gasol and Steve Nash are all washed up (in order from most to least). Meeks is incredibly inconsistent (I know first hand), Jordan Hill was supposed to be the next Chris Bosh (very laughable), and when you're having Chris Duhon and Steve Blake run your offense for most of the season, you know you're in trouble.

Looks like Seattle is getting an NBA team again. Sorry Sacramento: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/maloofs-nearing-deal-to-sell-kings-to-group-that-plans-to-relocate-franchise-to-seattle-190254566.html

Also how does the first US city to hoist a Stanley Cup still not have an NHL team?

They are old but I dont think thats what the problem is. Kobe is having one of his best seasons ever, Dwight still isnt close to 100% recovered from back surgery and now a torn labrum, Gasol can still be one of the top PFs in the league if used correctly. MWP is a fucking beast, that dude has been playing better every year he's been with the Lakers. Nash is still great at running any offense. The team they have is fine, I truly believe its 95% a coaching problem. The bench could use some improvments but they are better than they were last year. Jamison didnt even play for like 5-6 games just cause D'Antoni didnt feel like playing him. Their PG situation after Nash is pretty weak but the Lakers have never had great PGs since Kobe has been there and they have won 5 titles like that. These guys can all still play, this team should easily be a top 5 team in the West and its absolutely pathetic that they are this bad. They just cant find any chemistry with this team/coach and I think a lot of that is D'Antoni forcing his ways on this team. They dont have knock down 3 point shooters, they just dont. Yet D'Antoni wants to run this 3 point offense which completely takes away from what Howard and Gasol could be doing in the paint. Plus when the Lakers clank all these 3's where do you think that rebound goes? Far away from the basket and the guards pick them up and run and fast break and the Lakers cant keep up with defending that. If Phil was back running the triangle this would be a completely different team. Phil can also coach defense better, D'Antoni has no idea what he's doing when it comes to defense. There's no way this team should be giving up the amount of points they do with Kobe, Artest and Howard on the floor. 3 great defenders.