concerts: do you wear earplugs?

haha. only one show. mono. first time. louder than any band i've ever seen. and i had to keep adjusting the damn things the whole set. took them out at parts, the sound was very muffled. usually the problem with cheap earplugs. i've always wanted to look into a real pair but never got around to it. for some reason, mono has never been as loud again. hearing loss?? ;)

i just go to less shows these days, can't afford to see everything anymore. that'll save some hearing i'm sure.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earplugs do not make things sound muffled.

If you think they're for "the weak", you'll eventually learn the error of your ways.

If not, enjoy being deaf when you get older.

for reals. the point isn't to muffle, they simple reduce the decibel level striking your naked ear. you hear the exact same thing, it's just quieter.

i use these

i like them better than the foam ones and come in a carrying case that you could put on your keychain..

hell, if anyone wants, since i have amazon prime i can have it sent to you w/ 2-day shipping at no extra cost (so you don't have to order over $25 to get free super saver shipping), probably just like 5% more for paypal fees. duno how this will work out but if anyone's interested PM me.

haha, they have used ones for sale too

wanting to hear a band without them being "muffled" doesn't even make sense.

It makes prefect sense. Cheap earplugs completely muffle the sound. Why pay to go to a show if it sounds like they're playing under water?

I'm a firm believer in earplugs, though I don't wear them all of the time -- mostly because I forget.

i do sometimes. like when i know a show is going to be super loud. or shit. i know i should more often but i hate the sound quality when wearing foam earplugs. totally ruins the show....

I went to concerts for 10+ years without ear plugs.

After 10 years, I started to notice that the ringing noise in my ears after concerts lasted longer and longer. Since then, I've been wearing ear plugs to every concert.

Those Etymotic earplugs look pretty cool, I think I'll get a pair.

How many concerts do you guys go to a week or month or so that this is a legitimate concern for you?

Am I severely lacking musical dedication? I go to maybe 1 concert a month, mostly because I'm poor. It's been since early spring since I've been to one now, actually. But Sunday I'm seeing ETID and the Bronx.

Guest genericinsight
Earplugs do not make things sound muffled.

If you think they're for "the weak", you'll eventually learn the error of your ways.

If not, enjoy being deaf when you get older.

for reals. the point isn't to muffle, they simple reduce the decibel level striking your naked ear. you hear the exact same thing, it's just quieter.

Maybe it's just me, but I've found after a while I even prefer shows with earplugs than without. Sometimes when I randomly forget them it's too loud and I leave the show with a headache.

Could be just because I've gotten used to them.

Guest genericinsight
How many concerts do you guys go to a week or month or so that this is a legitimate concern for you?

Am I severely lacking musical dedication? I go to maybe 1 concert a month, mostly because I'm poor. It's been since early spring since I've been to one now, actually. But Sunday I'm seeing ETID and the Bronx.

Depends, but on the average:

2-3 a week

10-13 a month

but I also like a LOT of music too.

yeah i probably go once a month, its hard living in a city without shows and not having a car.