what are some good backpacks / messenger bags etc.

impact

if youve some money to spend, crumpler is the way to go. i have a camera/laptop backpack, and i absolutely love it. theyve got some really cool color combos, as well as some really slick simple ones, and tons of size options. if i were to buy another bag, regardless of type, i would go to them.

plus theyve got a crazy new website. www.crumplerbags.com

this may sound lame, but i love my jansport backpack. I've been using it for about eight years now, and it's so fucking solid.

Also at sxsw my girlfriend got a messenger bag by simple for free. She gave it to me and I have to say, it's really thick material and seems like it will last a good while.

vaya bags!

(tia from bridge and tunnel's bag company!)

I've met her a few times at events where she was selling her bags, and I had no idea she was the B/T girl. Those bags are really cool.

If you're using it like a messenger and you're going to be on a bike a lot, I'd get a Reload: http://reloadbags.com/

I need to get a messenger bag to work as laptop bag and they are $$$$ so anyone got any cheap places to lick up a messenger / laptop / record bag? Timbuk2 also if you got money, wish I had money.

If you're near a Target, they sell Swiss Gear messenger/laptop bags of decent quality for $30 or so.

I've been using an LL Bean messenger bag as a work bag for four years and it still feels and looks brand new, despite the beating it takes from the commuting grind.

I've had this since about May

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=AT0F&variationId=001&storeId=207&langId=-1&catalogId=10201

It's a bit small so if you carry a lot of stuff, I wouldn't recommend it but the backing of the bag makes it extremely comfortable on your back. I backpacked Europe with it, I use it for school and everything else I do, it's great.

The bottom of each compartment stretch quite a bit too. In europe, I fit my SLR camera/lens, 1-2 books, headphones (not ear buds), ipod and a sweatshirt...

Guest genericinsight
vaya bags!

(tia from bridge and tunnel's bag company!)

seconded. I love my Vaya.

Aside that it's a good quality messenger bag, Tia can also custom make them AND they're a lot cheaper than Chrome/Timbuktu.

vayabags.com

I've been using a timbuk2 bag for seven years now, and its just starting to show some wear. Its not great for heavy loads for more than just a little while, I don't know if any messenger bags are. I imagine some folks have ones that work better. I know a lot of folks that swear by chrome bags too.

I bought a Chrome bag a few months ago, and I think the thing I like best about it is the way you can get it to rest on your back as opposed to hanging off to the side like most messenger bags. I seems easier on the shoulder. Also I bought the smallest size and its still pretty big. They are expensive as fuck, though (and I even got mine on sale).

I had been using a $5 messenger bag from Old Navy for a few years at school until the strap clips broke. I used small carabiners to attach the strap, but I have been looking for a new one. I don't use them nearly as much since I am out of school, but I did look at Vaya and liked what I saw...

Also, does anyone know of non-internet stores that sell Timbuk2 bags, I really like those but I would like to be able to see it in person/get a feeling for what it is like before I put that kind of money down.

I wish I knew someone close to here that had a Vaya bag, so I could see one in person.