OHIO PRIDE RECORDS-HELP ME DECIDE...

hey guys, i was having a debate with myself, wondering what i was going to use to open the store. it's pretty much between amazon.com or ebay. i just wanted to know how you guys feel about these, the pros the cons , do you know of something better than these two, etc. i just don't know how to build a site to run a store off that, i'm mostly computer retarded minus doing images and shit. any and all suggestions would be a great help.

thanks again guys

johiopride

ebay will get you more visibility since thats probably the 1st place most people turn to besides distros...

however im sure Ebay fees and buyer protection policy could be a huge negative

Amazon still seems like they are building a their music/vinyl category. the problem i have had with amazon is, some of the sellers are idiots and list cds as lps in the vinyl section and its a bitch to send stuff back and get refunds. after a few encounters with those folks it has really turned me off from using amazon for vinyl.

with whatever store you do it might be smart to check out the banner ad prices on deadformat, VLV, VC or other message boards to promote your store... plus most of the places probably charge like 10-15 bucks a month for a banner and it will link them directly to your store.

good luck dude, and keep us posted

with whatever store you do it might be smart to check out the banner ad prices on deadformat, VLV, VC or other message boards to promote your store... plus most of the places probably charge like 10-15 bucks a month for a banner and it will link them directly to your store.

good luck dude, and keep us posted

that's good advice. i'd also try to run an ad on scene point blank, pastepunk, and other like-minded music sites.

then ebay it is. i will let you guys know when it is ready. i am making a few jackets and putting the end touches on the comp. thanks for all the help guys. i hope it becomes popular enough for everybody to get music at a lower price. thanks!!! i always appreciate the feedback here.

one final comment---if its between the two, ebay can be the cheaper route as a seller. From what i've seen, ebay only charges a listing fee (usually a quarter) and a final value fee (10-15%). Amazon on the other hand, lets you list for free, but as soon as your item sells, they dock you a dollar and an additional 15%. However, they reimburse you the shipping. The shipping becomes a moot point when you charge the buyer for shipping on the sale.

Hope that tidbit of info helps.

i've bought loads of vinyl from amazon.co.uk and .com (both Amazon and marketplace sellers) and have only had a couple of occasions of the vinyl/CD mixup. i recommend amazon for ease of use and the fact you can list your item and forget about it for a month and a half until it either sells, or you relist it. no fees are charged for listing and relisting.

ebay you certainly get more traffic, but the time you gotta take listing is loads more. sellers also dont get to leave negative feedback so you WILL get messed around with by non-payers and such. i list very little on ebay but already have had several instances of buyers messing me abouti get discouraged from using ebay shops too coz they generally overcharge. a quick look here and there on distros normally gets you the item cheaper. although its different with availability of OOP stuff at distros.

both have ups and downs. i personally have had it with ebay, but there millions of folks that havent.

in the end, both methods end up costing you about the same in fees.