vinyl manufacturers

MUSICOL RECORDS

Anyone know of any vinyl companies that have publicly traded stocks? I'm not going to invest tens of thousands of dollars, but with the current vinyl market I think it would be a good way to make some money, which I could then reinvest in the company by buying more records...

kissofdeathrecords

MUSICOL RECORDS
Anyone know of any vinyl companies that have publicly traded stocks? I'm not going to invest tens of thousands of dollars, but with the current vinyl market I think it would be a good way to make some money, which I could then reinvest in the company by buying more records...

kissofdeathrecords

+1

is there any money in vinyl?

i know its a niche market that is enjoying a resurgence but it makes up so little of total music sales (something like 0.2% of total music sales in the UK) that i wouldnt have thought there'd be loads of money to be made. it seems like the companies that do produce vinyl are few and far between & are making their money on CD sales therefore allowing them to have some money to press a few vinyl for us.

maybe the exorbitant costs Hydrahead, Inoxia etc are due to the fact it costs so much to press their limited print runs.

it'd be interesting to hear from label bigwigs about the financial implications of vinyl production.

please correct me if i'm wrong, coz i'd be well interested in investing in vinyl.

it depends on how you look at it. A lot of the big labels record for CD/digital and then just release the vinyl on the side as a means of generating a little bit more income. While this doesn't go for all major label releases, they are usually packaged very straightforward and not very creative -- I think to minimize costs

Then there are the smaller labels like Hydrahead who focus most of their attention on vinyl releases - packaging, weight, color, etc. and they at least break even on every release, and probably make a decent amount of profit too.

It really depends on the the label and the band, and how well known they are.

theres very little money in the first retail sale of a record...

a $10 CD pressed in a short run = about $8-$9 profit (not including recording costs)

a $10 LP pressed in a short run = about $2-$3 profit (not including recording costs)

now these figures are assuming a direct to consumer sale... and since the majority of sales are happening through distribution...

CD - wholesale at $8 = $6.50 - $7 profit

LP - whole sales at $7 = $0.50 - $1 profit.

i know its a niche market that is enjoying a resurgence but it makes up so little of total music sales (something like 0.2% of total music sales in the UK) that i wouldnt have thought there'd be loads of money to be made. it seems like the companies that do produce vinyl are few and far between & are making their money on CD sales therefore allowing them to have some money to press a few vinyl for us.

But its been stated in many articles, including the recent one posted from Time.com, that the reason the numbers are so low is because it is not reported from indie stores, who sell a majority of records. I;m sure if the indie stores reported how much vinyl they sold, the numbers would be alot higher

Guest chassit

PS if you live in the US, support the US economy when pressing records. Pirates Press goes through a Czech Republic company, so most of your money ends up there.

This thread has turned into what's wrong with independent music.

up tha punx!

i'm sorry that you see mentioning of finances as a negative thing. But having run a small indie for 12 years we're constantly one bad release away from the whole ship going under. It might not be punk rock to have to worry about being profitable, but i'd rather sweat the bottom line and make sure i can still release albums, upkeep our PA system and continue supporting the scene we love.. then just go belly up because we can't pay the pressing plants. Vinyl is expensive, nets low profit, and if it doesnt sell takes up a whole shitload of room.

Money is a neccesary evil, don't get all holier than thou man, that kind of attitude is whats wrong with independent music.

Guest chassit
This thread has turned into what's wrong with independent music.

up tha punx!

i'm sorry that you see mentioning of finances as a negative thing. But having run a small indie for 12 years we're constantly one bad release away from the whole ship going under. It might not be punk rock to have to worry about being profitable, but i'd rather sweat the bottom line and make sure i can still release albums, upkeep our PA system and continue supporting the scene we love.. then just go belly up because we can't pay the pressing plants. Vinyl is expensive, nets low profit, and if it doesnt sell takes up a whole shitload of room.

Money is a neccesary evil, don't get all holier than thou man, that kind of attitude is whats wrong with independent music.

Hey buddy, I'm no dummy. I'm on my 20th release, most of them vinyl... I know the costs, problems etc. Also, my label has been self sufficient since release #4, I know how finances work. Talking about them, discussing is fine. But talking about "Investing in vinyl" and "Investing in labels" because there is money to be made. This isn't wall street! Get real. If you're in it for the music, then don't worry about where there is a buck to be made. That's my point.

Talking about finances of running a label and shit is fine, Being a greedy miser is looking for a quick buck without having to work is not

Hey buddy, I'm no dummy. I'm on my 20th release, most of them vinyl... I know the costs, problems etc. Also, my label has been self sufficient since release #4, I know how finances work. Talking about them, discussing is fine. But talking about "Investing in vinyl" and "Investing in labels" because there is money to be made. This isn't wall street! Get real. If you're in it for the music, then don't worry about where there is a buck to be made. That's my point.

Talking about finances of running a label and shit is fine, Being a greedy miser is looking for a quick buck without having to work is not

given the current state of the north american financial climate, you're a fool if you think you're going to be able to EVER retire comfortably without pursuing investment opportunities. if someone is capable of enhancing their money through the financial sector AND support something they love (ie music, a favourite label that happens to do vinyl releases) what could be MORE punk rock than that?

up tha retiring punx!

given the current state of the north american financial climate, you're a fool if you think you're going to be able to EVER retire comfortably without pursuing investment opportunities. if someone is capable of enhancing their money through the financial sector AND support something they love (ie music, a favourite label that happens to do vinyl releases) what could be MORE punk rock than that?

up tha retiring punx!

Exactly.

I'm going to invest some of my money. If it's unpunk to do that, I will never join the club. I just thought it would make me feel better to do so with a on a small vinyl producer than Fortune 500 companies.

up with mohawks! down with 401ks!

i also don't see how investing in a small business is unpunk? Giving operating capital to a company that operates outside of the multi-national conglomerate style of business is pretty damn close to being the punkest thing you can do. Its supporting something you believe in.

i also don't see how investing in a small business is unpunk? Giving operating capital to a company that operates outside of the multi-national conglomerate style of business is pretty damn close to being the punkest thing you can do. Its supporting something you believe in.

it also goes a long way towards smashing the state, as assisting independent industry to overtake multi-national conglomerates would go even further towards dismantling an already broken feduciary structure, upon which your government is heavily reliant...thus, major corporations falling = government tailspin etc etc.

Ha! I have a mohawk (which is down today, not every day is an up day) and a 401k. Pretty soon I'm going to have to lose one or the other... :(