BARONESS Red Album very last copies for sale now.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i also ordered the baroness, black tusk, skeletonwitch triple vinyl deal back in feb 2008 i think and waited until hyperrealist realized that their e-mail wasn't working and posted the fresher e-mail address, which i contacted, and within a week i had had a reply AND received my order over here in the UK in mid-december

yes, it was an unacceptable delay in the first place but once contact had been established, the problem was sorted very quickly

• 4 weeks later...
The thread that will never die. Pat may be a good dude but fails at running a business. Too bad for the other bands that this experience left so many people with bad experiences.

I got my record, Pat's a good dude...I encourage you to start a label, and find out how fun it is to deal with lost records.

The thread that will never die. Pat may be a good dude but fails at running a business. Too bad for the other bands that this experience left so many people with bad experiences.

I got my record, Pat's a good dude...I encourage you to start a label, and find out how fun it is to deal with lost records.

Yea on the real I am sure it really is not the easy at all dealing with loosing records in the mail and its a large undertaking to run a label by yourself even with 3 or 4 people helping so I would not say the guy fails at running a business just had some problems which basically happens to everyone putting out there own records just deal with it and cut the guy a break you should appreciate the fact that he took the time and effort to put out the record in the first place

PS Just made my first order from ya Justin yesterday got a bunch of the KOD stuff you had I am pumped throwing free shit into an order is always welcomed hahah

Yea on the real I am sure it really is not the easy at all dealing with loosing records in the mail and its a large undertaking to run a label by yourself even with 3 or 4 people helping so I would not say the guy fails at running a business just had some problems which basically happens to everyone putting out there own records just deal with it and cut the guy a break you should appreciate the fact that he took the time and effort to put out the record in the first place

exactly. This isn't easy and I'm certainly making jack shit on the label/distro...people need to get it into their heads that our labels are not businesses in the technical sense of the word.

I'm way fucking behind on my mailorder work because I work a 40+ hour a week job. I have a minimum of 5 more hours commuting home each week. I only have so many mailers and records at my house...my label office is 30-45 minutes away(each way), depending on when the buses come) plus a needy girlfriend that lives an hour away by public transit. so when I do get mailorders out I have to usually plan days ahead to send a bunch out at once, if I'm lucky to have "a bunch", that is. I go weeks without direct orders. I've only been doing my label for 4 years...Pat's been doing his for like 15 years and the Baroness Red Album is only his 16th release. you do the math. It's a labor of love. i'm positive Pat has a similar problem...

so take this for example/piece of mind::

So you go ahead spend MONTHS pressing a record, get the records in and assemble them...yeah, you'll need a few friends....

Now.

put the record up for sale...now imagine you get oh, I don't know...700 orders in a couple of days...like perhaps what happened with the Red Album.

ok.

Stop and think about the resources you need to package and send out 100 LPs

...let alone 600 or 700, or 800 lps.

that's a lot of mailers

a lot of tape

a shit ton of 12x12 flats to pad the boxes

a lot of paper/stickers to print out the postage.

a lot of tedious time printing out the postage.

a lot of time assembling orders,

a lot of time filling out the customs forms for international packages.

a lot of time bringing boxes to the post office.

oh you might wanna call some more friends over to the house again.

ok, now repeat this process for a few days...oh yeah don't forget to go do your day job somewhere in there as well.

ok...now add on top of it all...add unreasonable people wanting to know where their record is after two days...out of 700 people you're bound to have 10 to15 or so people like that..

Now, as we all know, taking boxes to the post office is a hit or miss guessing game. some of these skinny little boxes will get lost.

dudes who put out records for essentially crust-punk bands for 15+ years don't tend to stick around for that long if they're ripping people off left and right. But sure enough Pat is still there putting out records that frankly make me question putting another record out again. His attention to detail and demand for perfection in the final product is astounding. Any and every label should look up to him for aesthetic quality alone.

so...to people bitching, Pat is clearly not avoiding the issues of your lost package. He has a life outside this messageboard...unlike me

...and isn't addicted to checking this site for updates constantly, unlike me.

...and probably doesn't have a blackberry and therefore probably isn't tied to the internet 24-7, unlike me...

I fully admit to flaking out on people from time to time, because all I do is work, every day, then come home make dinner, work on anything I can think of to make the label better to find a way to make things easier so I can spend less time doing things more efficiently. I'm sure Pat has something similar...

be patient and the guy will get back to you, even if it's been a few weeks or months. We're not perfect streamlined machines like VC or Interpunk. We're punk rock kids doing this in our free time. If you don't understand that, then i don't know what to tell you...no I do: Go start your own fucking label and the first time somebody blows up on you because they didn't get their order you'll learn a big fucking lesson in patience and understanding from the other side of the mail-order equation...and then, maybe we'll see how you react the next time your order takes a little while to show up or the person running the label takes some time to get back to you.

That was actually pretty well stated Justin.

I do think that in this day and age people are really short on patience. Kind of ridiculous at times. Granted, some of the hostility is warranted, but on the same token, it seems as if Pat is trying to get people their records, not rip them off.

I will say I got mine fairly quickly. I also take time to consider when I order what the labels situation is. If I order from Deathwish, Bridge 9, No Idea, etc. I expect my order fairly quickly. All of those labels have established the fact that they are a BUSINESS. A punk rock business, yes, but still a business.

Some labels I view it as a guy having a hobby. Hyperrealist, Slave Union, Rok Lok, and you fall into that grouping. Not saying it IS a hobby for you, but I don't see ads and such touting you nonstop. Same like when you deal with certain people when trading. Lots of people bitch about Muzzy, but I got my record just fine from him. Did it get here fast? No.......but I got it.