Random Ideas for Short Stories: Updated with Story

Ok, picture this, following the escape of babies from the BABYCO lab, babies of the world have achieved unity. Little do people know, baby talk is actually sophisticated communication betwixt the said baby 'geniuses'. Now the united baby faction must stop a media mogul from taking over the minds of everyone in the world with a satellite system.

GO! (and please give me credit for my brilliant idea)

duh write about records...

this guy who pursues his white whale all over the world and something always goes wrong and he's never actually able to get it. finally one day it shows up on ebay (which is like, for real, the first time in 6 years it's been on ebay) and right as he's about to enter his bid - a bid he knows will win it because he's bidding WAY over market value cause he wants to own it so bad - his computer crashes.

how about this:

the day before their wedding a girl calls her boyfriend and speaks to him how she did a horrible thing and cheated on him with a guy and lost her engagement ring while in the process (you can make up how: ex lost it in the guys anus while fisting him...whatever floats your boat)

over the course of a few hours she keeps calling and speaking to him, egging it on, etc etc... how she wanted to break up, but wasn't sure. she's having mixed feelings..etc he finally snaps and while on the phone with her, shoots himself. meanwhile the whole time, shes' on the radio with listeners who are hearing the whole conversation along with the dj's. She was doing it as a joke so the radio station could pay for thier honeymoon. does that sound interesting?

I just finished taking a creatve writing class and the first story we wrote was only supposed to be 2-3 pages and introduce a character. I wrote the whole thing about what is going on in the mind of a dude at a record store. It's seriously just a guy flipping through records and then leaving. I got a B+. The guy didn't even buy anything! hahaha I'm pretty out of it so it's all funny to me.

This is what I ended up with. I'm actually writing a longer version of this, but the assignment was 5 minutes of prose, and this is that version. Please don't steal the work and pass it off on your own, creative commons, etc etc.

"The most insane forward ever found in a person's Junk Mail folder"

For years I scoffed, just like everyone else. My crazy aunt would forward me countless emails with subject lines like “The Anti-Christ is Here! Repent!” and “What’s next? People can marry their dogs?” and I’d forward them along to my friends for a laugh. One time I accidently copied her on a forward, only to get a loving message back saying “I forgive you, just wait and see.”

It started slowly. The first six months were the glory days. People on the verge of losing their homes thanks to the greed of bankers were given emergency freezes on their mortgages and those who’d lost their jobs in the previous eight years were able to find work with full benefits thanks to new massive public works projects. By the end of his first year in office I was able to finally attend my gay best friend’s Government blessed wedding. My toast as best man was Aunt Ronda’s latest email, and I was met with a rousing chorus of laughter with each new line about “the end times” and “Babylon rising.”

She was right though. For every new freedom we were given there were compromises to be made. Once we opened marriage for homosexual couples it was only a matter of time until the polygamists wanted in, since they at least had a holy book to back them up; then the pet and plant fetishists. By the time paper ballots were outlawed before the 2012 election, in favor of trustworthy touch screens, I had finally answered the age old question “what do you buy a couple where one partner is a sex doll?”

It was progress though, or some semblance of it at least. As a country we did what needed to be done for the greater good, and for the first time we proved Ronda wrong. He never declared martial law and took over. We gave him control and repealed the 22nd amendment so he could keep on fighting the good fight long after his original two terms. Once term limits were eliminated, it was up to the voters, and if they couldn’t make the right choice themselves the touch screens took care of it for them. The first act of his third term was finally removing “God” from the pledge of allegiance. It wasn’t long after that going to a Christian church was finally made illegal and heterosexual marriage along with it because it encouraged the outlawed faith.

Aunt Ronda was killed in the protests in front of the National Cathedral in Washington, although I suppose we can’t really blame that on the administration. It had been the first time any of the members of her church had staged a violent protest, and a sweet old woman from her prayer group tried to be helpful by lighting all the Molotov cocktails at once to save time. The resulting explosion was initially thought to be a tribute to the Buddhist Monks who immolated themselves during the Vietnam War, but a cell phone salvaged from the spot of the disaster revealed it to be a mistake. No matter how much we’ve lost one still has to wonder at the durability of modern technology.

At least when the work shortages started back up again we were given the option of flying to Iraq to help rebuild their cities. Our leader thought it would be best to teach them about the American prosperity exemplified in Vegas, so ground was broken last year on Bobby Lon’s Extravagance Palace, right outside of Bagdad in Al Hillah. Why rebuilding that old place was so important we might never know.

Things have gotten even worse since then though. The remaining Christians disappeared a few weeks ago, but the rumor is that had more to do with being rounded up into internment camps than that rapture thing they’ve been talking about for the last ten years. The prayer mats we’ve all been issued for our five required daily prayers towards Mecca are tough and scratchy, but I suppose make for warm coverings when the rolling blackouts cut off the heat late at night. Truthfully I thought Communists were Godless, but here I find myself bowing to the East with our new red and white Hammer, Sickle, and bars flag blowing proudly in the wind. And it was just announced today via the television broadcasts that we should keep our eyes on our mailboxes for appointment cards telling us what time we’ve been scheduled to get our barcode tattoos. They say it’s for our convenience, so no one can lose their ID card anymore, but I’m just left with images of cattle lined up for slaughter.

I, Raymond Cox, write this not for your sympathy but to warn you and anyone else willing to hear to not ignore your prophets! Even the ramblings of a crazy aunt you hardly ever see, sent via a mass forward email could hold the key to your future survival. In keeping with this spirit, I ask that you please forward this message to everyone in your email address box, and ask that they forward it as well, in hopes that someone someday might invent some method of time travel and go back to the past, and forward it to [email protected], so that she can forward it in the past and save the future. If you are receiving this in your mail box before November 4th 2008, please forward this along to everyone in your address book, or bad luck, and the apocalypse will find you. I can only hope it is not too late.

Yours in American Blood and God Fearing Pride

Raymond Cox