represses

i get what youre saying, man. i think it mostly has to do with the fact that represses are an appeal to people who havent had the chance to pick up the record before as well as collectors of the band. i guess all the crazy colors are supposed to help increase the sale of multiple copies to die hard collectors.

More or less it's because even if it's more limited for some reason people hesitate on buying black vinyl. Color is all the rage so I think it's more because all people ever want is colored vinyl. it's honestly a pain in the ass as far as running a record label. Black vinyl is the cheapest option when pressing, so that's typically why represses are on black. Labels more go for colors now because they're simply easier to sell.

colored vinyl is hyped right now, and a lot of people are dumb and only buy something if its on color vinyl so they are cool with their friends.

so it not only gets new kids who pick it up based on the fact its on color and will look good on their wall, but also gets the kids who will buy it to complete the collection, and get every pressing.

plus at this point, black vinyl is made less and less, since kids seem to think black vinyl is horrible, and a record is only good on color. so while it used to be every once in a while a record would be on color....and then it was that there would be a limited run of color, and the pressing on black, and now with the hype, the pressings are all color, and various colors.

colored vinyl is hyped right now, and a lot of people are dumb and only buy something if its on color vinyl so they are cool with their friends.

so it not only gets new kids who pick it up based on the fact its on color and will look good on their wall, but also gets the kids who will buy it to complete the collection, and get every pressing.

plus at this point, black vinyl is made less and less, since kids seem to think black vinyl is horrible, and a record is only good on color. so while it used to be every once in a while a record would be on color....and then it was that there would be a limited run of color, and the pressing on black, and now with the hype, the pressings are all color, and various colors.

I think the majority of my collection is on black vinyl. Go figure...

i like the coloured vinyl coz i feel it adds to the overall aesthetic of the package. i reckon black vinyl only sounds better if its on virgin vinyl and at least 180g. otherwise most of the coloured and black vinyl i own is pretty comparable, sound wise. i find the quality issue comes down to the pressing plant quality (ie Pirates Press = ace, the people Swami use = shite) rather than colour.

i dont have any friends to impress so i dont buy coloured vinyl for status. my wife pretty well hates my taste in music now so it dont impress her neither! our baby certainly does LOVE the colour vinyl spin on the deck though!!

nor can i ever afford to get every different version. i like the option of different colours but will still buy if black vinyl is the only option.

back on task though, most of the recent represses i;ve bought have been fancy colours. blame hydrahead and robotic empire!

Not to mention the fact that black vinyl just sounds better, but records seem to be more and more just for collecting as opposed to listening nowadays.

black vinyl sounds better is a fact? on a technical level there is no difference in audio quality based on color. orange will sound exactly like black which sounds like blue. it doesnt matter about color, its all about mastering.

although crystal clear vinyl with degrade faster according to one pressing plant, because in order to get it CLEAR as opposed to mint, or coke bottle, or whatever, they have to bleach it, which breaks down some of the composition of the record i guess. not sure if thats ever been actually tested

i agree though, that a lot of people collecting colored vinyl, will never listen to that record.

yeah i see what you guys are saying. i do prefer black over color but when i was younger and collecting, color was the more limited record so that is what you bought. i will usually buy all colors of a pressing if i love a band to death. thats why im hoping that mike park doesnt give the larry arms and broadways the 10 color variant treatment.

if that happens i think that might be the hardest test for me and my new wife of 3 months