is it not possible for colored vinyl to be 180g?

you can, but i believe the records themselves are $2-3 more per record so, $1000-1500 more per pressing not even counting the jackets on a 500 piece run...an not including the extra shipping charges for the weight. ...on top of the basic set up costs which are around $500-600

covers usualy will run you in the neighborhood of $700.

you do the math, factor at least 10% of the pressing to go to the band.

shit adds up quick and then sometimes you sit on them for a while...sometimes they don't sell at all. sucks, but the reality is that it's just not feasible to do it and keep the records affordable.

if you run a successful label it's worthwhile, but for the most part we who run labels are barely scraping by...so that added cost per release would crush us.

the only 220g records i own [that i know of for sure] are rotten sound - exit, crowpath - red on chrome, and arsis - a celebration of guilt. willowtip really outdid themselves on those releases. i have a feeling the costs incurred with pressing such amazing records is the reason they havent pressed anything on vinyl since.

The difference between standard (140ish) and 180 is only about $1 per record when you break it down. Obviously colored vinyl is a little more, but you're paying that either way. It's really just a matter of what kind of cash you have on hand to press it. I don't think people would mind paying $1 more for the record unless it's already way expensive.

By the way, this is kinda late...but I think the light blue version of Pelican's new one (on 180g) is gorgeous.

well yeah....when you press a Pelican record, it will sell 4000 copies in the first month....not every band has that ability though.

Totally understand that.

I was just moreso commenting on how neat it looked than anything.