Record List organizing - OCD nerds help!

mcm1610

I'm giving my list a much-needed overhall, but after going through roughly half of my 7" recs, it struck me that I'm not even sure what "year" I'm going for under that column. Do you guys who have a year or date column on your lists go by year that album was first released by the band, or the year that the record you have in your hand was pressed?

Say I had a band that released a CD in I dunno 1995, but it was pressed for a first time in 1996, then again in 1998, and I had the second pressing. What year goes in the column on the list?

Besides band, release, label, date, color / pressing info, is there anything else that you guys consider essential that I'm not thinking of?

You should list the date your album in your hand was pressed. This will help you identify pressings version in the future when your looking over the list.

If you want to be real complete. Have a column for original date released (when single was first put out) and date released (when that pressing was put out).

is there anything else that you guys consider essential?

I would say catalog number but you might have called it release..unless that is title. Catalog number is essential for sure.

I use the year the album was released as the year, but if something was released say in 1994, but not pressed on vinyl until 2008, I would put 1994 as the year, and would add "2008 Press" in the misc. info section.

I just did this today with my copy of Big Daddy Multitude...this is the Recordnerd format, but should give you an idea of what I mean.

title: Big Daddy Multitude

artist: Mustard Plug

format: 12"

label: Asbestos (1994)

comment: 1st Press - w/Yellow 7" - Ltd to 100 - 2008 Press

You should list the date your album in your hand was pressed. This will help you identify pressings version in the future when your looking over the list.

If you want to be real complete. Have a column for original date released (when single was first put out) and date released (when that pressing was put out).

is there anything else that you guys consider essential?

I would say catalog number but you might have called it release..unless that is title. Catalog number is essential for sure.

Ooh, Catalog number is probably a good one. You also pointed out that "title" is probably better than "release" since I was using that as the column name.