toughest to collect?

What do you guys think is the hardest single band's discography to collect? There are quite a few bands out there who have a bunch of random stuff or have an incomprehensible amount of different colors. I am going to go with NOFX on this one just because they have been around for so long but what do you guys think?

Depends if you say toughest to collect because it will take you TIME to hunt them all down, or if it's based on how much money you'll spend.

Going by time, I'd say NOFX/Against Me!/HWM.

Based off money, I'd say Misfits/Sex Pistols based off Cough/Cool and which ever Sex Pistols 7" which was limited to 9 or 12.

none of those bands even compare to trying to collect all the releases (not EVEN all the variations/tests/etc) of bands like J Church, or Agathocles.

or you could get impossible with noise stuff like gerogerigegege or merzbow, who has hundreds upon hundreds of releases, and half of which are limited to less than 50 total. including the "merzbenz", which only one of was made, and is no longer functioning, and i doubt anyone would buy a car/record release anyway

some bands are tough, some are expensive.

i could probably go nuts with a credit card today and amass a huge misfits collection. while tracking down HWM variants would probably take months of work. Same thing with Nofx.. i know where i can pretty much get any record i need of theres.. its just a money issue.

i actually had a hard time finding giants chair stuff, not because there's 436274538 dumb colors like AM! or HWM, but because there was just a very limited amount of records actually made, and the people who had them didn't want to get rid of them easily.

gotta remember there was a time when bands only put out a few hundread records because that's all they culd do. the whole concept of doing 30 colors on a 500 record run is a fairly new and (in my opinion) a realy dumb concept.

Guest scriptedrain

Personally, it's been The White Stripes for me and Jess. I know there are other bands that are harder to collect (a lot have already been mentioned), but they have a lot more out there than you think.

some bands are tough, some are expensive.

i could probably go nuts with a credit card today and amass a huge misfits collection. while tracking down HWM variants would probably take months of work. Same thing with Nofx.. i know where i can pretty much get any record i need of theres.. its just a money issue.

exactly... most of the bands mentioned can easily be obtained if money wasn't an issue. i try to collect a lot of the mid 90s "emo" (crank! records, tree records, early polyvinyl, etc) and a lot of that stuff just never comes up, ever. some of that shits soooo had to find.

The White Stripes!

I think one of the rarest 7"s out there these days is the hand made sleeves for the first single. They had to draw them when they played a show, I believe there are 10 or 12 of them, all different. One hit eBay a few years ago and sold for over 1,200 bucks. I have been collecting them for 8 years now and smart enough to buy the records when they first come out, however the tour only stuff I can't always get and a few early releases are just too much $$$. Oh and then the 3" records they only sold at 1 show, geeeeeez.

Guest scriptedrain
The White Stripes!

I think one of the rarest 7"s out there these days is the hand made sleeves for the first single. They had to draw them when they played a show, I believe there are 10 or 12 of them, all different. One hit eBay a few years ago and sold for over 1,200 bucks. I have been collecting them for 8 years now and smart enough to buy the records when they first come out, however the tour only stuff I can't always get and a few early releases are just too much $$$. Oh and then the 3" records they only sold at 1 show, geeeeeez.

Do you think any fan has a complete collection?

The White Stripes!

Do you think any fan has a complete collection?

I doubt it, I would be impressed if someone did. I have around 55 releases and I feel like its a huige colelction but then I start looking at everything I dont have...wow

counting variations is pointless though, because most bands would be impossible. which is why i mentioned bands like J church, merzbow, or agathocles, each bands with over a hundred total DIFFERENT releases.

there are thousands of bands that have variations that are one of a kind, or local ish bands that had hand made stuff for just one show that onely 2 or 3 exist, and have long broken, or gotten thrown away.

or you can go with 80s punk stuff that only a couple actually exist, and the 2 people who have them will never sell them or give them away.