Mint Definition

Maybe he did use the word "mint" incorrectly. However, I can not pass judgement without seeing the auction description. If he said it was "used mint with minor surface marks, etc" then you got what you paid for and the item is as described, despite him using the wrong term, he points out that there are flaws. While he contradicts himself, it's up to you to read the description.

I'm not reading this thread, however, for SERIOUS collectors there is no such thing as mint. A record must be BRAND NEW, still sealed in original shrink wrap, and have NO dents or any imperfections on the sleeve. Most serious collectors understand that the best condition a record could realistically be in is NM or NM+. Do a google search for record grading systems, there are a couple standards, and they will easily disprove this guy for the douche he is. An opened record cannot be mint.

Mint can be handled and played but you shouldn't be able to tell.

The term "mint" was carried over from the coin collecting hobby to refer to coins that have never been circulated, touched, or handled with bare hands. A played record cannot be mint.

Check out this record grading system.

http://www.moremusic.co.uk/links/uk_grade.htm

That's a bummer deal. I think the word "mint" has been used awfully loosely as of late. I'm still real hard in terms of my grading system. I bought a sealed copy of The Bronx (II) and I'd say that it was still only near mint, as the cover had some corner wear. Of course the vinyl is still mint and unplayed but I've gotten dudes who say the cover is mint and has a 1" split down the spine (which couldn't happen the way they were packed in shipping).

Some dudes suck.

The guys offering to refund half the purchase price ($5) and let me keep the record. Should I take the offer? It sounds a lot better than sending this shit back.

TAKE IT!

Lesson learned. If someone says in their auction "this record is mint and mint doesn't mean not played" it means it's fucked.

That is why I stay as far away from ebay as possible-the 'grading' of vinyl is so subjective. I don't think I have ever rated or seen a "Mint" vinyl record-to me there is no such thing and I would be especially weary of someone selling a Mint record. Dispute it with PayPal, and try to get your money back, but it is a long and tedious process. You could just say lesson learned and not worry about it

mint is near impossible with a record. The record may be unplayed, but the sleeve will always get banged up in shipping, from being at a record store, etc.

i don't know man, i've gotten some stuff in pristine condition through mail order. it all depends on how it's packed.

mint is a clean copy (cover, record, sleeve) that doesn't show any signs of wear, but may have been opened. mint=like new.

agreed. personally, though as long as the cover isn't bent, banged up or split (which really irritates me) and the vinyl doesn't have dust and other shit on it, i'm generally really happy.

If it plays and sounds good I say take the $5 refund, but leave him Neutral feedback. It's not quite negative, since he's being nice and working with you, but the bottom line is he lied and there's no easy way to return a record via the mail because of all the shipping jazz.

Be nice in your Neutral comment, explaining the situation and enjoy the record.