Wow!! What a brave kid!!!

pit bulls were originally bred to fight other animals, therefore they have a tendency to be 'dog aggressive', which is a totally separate thing than being aggressive towards people. In fact, pits were specifically bred to have a love and respect for humans, due to the nature of dog fighting when it was considered a sport hundreds of years ago.

and in case you missed the link that i posted earlier about all breeds biting, here it is again: http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Articles/OtherBreedBites/AllDogsBite.htm

Are you kidding me? You cannot give something a genetic imperative to love humans. They're bred to be loyal once they've been properly trained, and very very few of them are. And I'm sorry but a breed that is aggressive towards anything is an aggressive breed. Just because they only snap and kill other dogs doesn't mean they're not snapping.

Have you ever seen the victim of a pit bull attack or tried to stop one that is attacking someone, or been attacked by one? It's like fighting a fucking land shark. They're all muscle and teeth and their short slick hair makes it hard to get a hold of them. It's even worse because when they get into a frenzy they can't be stopped. A beagle might bit more often but you seldom hear about beagles killing the people they attack. They can be super sweet, but if they're raised wrong they're incredibly dangerous.

yes, i can imagine that a pit would be hard to stop IF it was an aggressive one treated or trained improperly. however, if a beagle was trained in the same way, i'd imagine that it would be equally as hard to stop.

the only reasons pits are trained to fight is because of their build and other physical characteristics. don't get me wrong, i know they can be very dangerous if they're raised to be aggressive, but it's wrong to condemn the whole breed based on people's irresponsible actions.

A beagle

[image]

The image that came up with the search "happy pitbull" so as not to give the impression I was looking for a scary picture.

[image]

Which of those would you rather come after you? A pit bull once it goes into fighting mode is a beast to come out. You haven't picked up the pieces of a child after an attack. I have. Just me on this. If given the choice between being attacked by a pit or a beagle you can't tell me you wouldn't care because they're both mean. One is muscle one is a hound dog. I dont think the breed needs to be wiped out. I just think when an animal is that instinctively dangerous the dudes need to be regulated.

i could spout off several examples of people im good friends with adopting pits and the wonderful experiences they've had with them and how good they were with their children, but i feel like it wouldnt help because most people have already decided that pits are a 'dangerous' breed.

all i'm saying is that they get an unfair rap of being intrinsically mean, which they are not. i'm not saying they're not dangerous if in the wrong hands, but so are breeds like german shepherds, akitas, huskies, etc. 95% of the time it is the nurture end rather than the nature that makes they aggressive.

i could spout off several examples of people im good friends with adopting pits and the wonderful experiences they've had with them and how good they were with their children, but i feel like it wouldnt help because most people have already decided that pits are a 'dangerous' breed.

all i'm saying is that they get an unfair rap of being intrinsically mean, which they are not. i'm not saying they're not dangerous if in the wrong hands, but so are breeds like german shepherds, akitas, huskies, etc. 95% of the time it is the nurture end rather than the nature that makes they aggressive.

except akitas and hiskies aren't naturally aggressive. Shepherds are, but thankfully aren't mass bred for fighting and raised by idiots. If you regulate the dogs you can keep them out of the hands of idiots.

Pit proponents need to figure out a way to make their case while still accepting that even if pit's aren't naturally violent, even though they were bred as fighting dogs and are naturally aggressive, that regulation of the dogs isn't an attack on the dogs as much as a step to make sure they don't get outright banned. I would rather have regulated pit bulls than no pit bulls.

akitas were also originally bred to hunt animals and if you dont train them properly, theyre capable of seriously injuring or killing other animals. they also usually don't tolerate other dogs of the same sex, and sometimes don't tolerate even some of the opposite sex.

i think what gets me the most is that pits are pretty much the only breed who has such a bad rap, when there are others that are less prolific and therefore less publicized unfairly as 'aggressive' or 'killers', etc. one of the michael vick dogs is even being used as a therapy dog now.

i dont even own one, i just feel bad for them and have done research into the breed as a result. i know that no one in this thread is all 'get rid of them all they're crazy baby killers!' but i'm just trying to give them the credit they deserve. i'm always all about the under dog, no pun intended haha.

really, any breed of dog can be dangerous when treated improperly. i agree about the irresponsible owners needing to be held accountable, but i don't see how punishing the whole breed along with the responsible owners would help.

it's a tough call, but the bad rap pits are given is really undeserved.

What about Chihuahuah?!

[image]

Fucking rat.

the problem is that people blame the breed, not the deed.

it's sad.

pit bulls actually temperment test as well or better than golden retrievers and beagles, and used to be called 'nanny dogs' because they're so good with kids. people see stories like this in the news and make false presumptions, rather than learn the facts.

All this "pitbulls are sweet little babies" nonsense is hilarious. Look, people don't go out and buy pitbulls because they are cute and sweet. They get them, in most cases, because they are badass, tough looking dogs. Boxers are a lot like pitbulls in the way they look, but you don't see gangsters and dipshit tough guys chaining them to engine blocks and shit because they are sweet, well-mannered dogs.

the problem is that people blame the breed, not the deed.

it's sad.

pit bulls actually temperment test as well or better than golden retrievers and beagles, and used to be called 'nanny dogs' because they're so good with kids. people see stories like this in the news and make false presumptions, rather than learn the facts.

All this "pitbulls are sweet little babies" nonsense is hilarious. Look, people don't go out and buy pitbulls because they are cute and sweet. They get them, in most cases, because they are badass, tough looking dogs. Boxers are a lot like pitbulls in the way they look, but you don't see gangsters and dipshit tough guys chaining them to engine blocks and shit because they are sweet, well-mannered dogs.

rather own a pit than a mountain lion thats for sure.