Wow!! What a brave kid!!!

the problem is that people blame the breed, not the deed.

it's sad.

pit bulls actually temperment test as well or better than golden retrievers and beagles, and used to be called 'nanny dogs' because they're so good with kids. people see stories like this in the news and make false presumptions, rather than learn the facts.

it's sad.

pit bulls actually temperment test as well or better than golden retrievers and beagles, and used to be called 'nanny dogs' because they're so good with kids. people see stories like this in the news and make false presumptions, rather than learn the facts.

Backed 100%

it's sad.

Ashamed to say that I am one of the people that just goes with the stories! I'll think twice about that from now on.

Any dog can be nice, it just needs to be raised right and treated well.

The problem with bully breeds is the people can't be trusted with them. In the wrong hands they're extremely dangerous, and it becomes and issue of "is public safety less important that the cute warm fuzzys!" I wish there were more hardcore regulations placed on Pit owners and sellers. The breed wont be viewed as anything but brutal dangerous mutts until attacks caused by shady owners not watching their pets stop.

really, any breed of dog can be dangerous when treated improperly. i agree about the irresponsible owners needing to be held accountable, but i don't see how punishing the whole breed along with the responsible owners would help.

it's a tough call, but the bad rap pits are given is really undeserved.

pit bulls actually tested better in temperment tests than beagles.

"No more vicious than golden retrievers, beagles or other popular dogs! In a recent study of 122 dog breeds by the American Temperament Testing Society (ATTS), pit bulls achieved a passing rate of 83.9%. That's as good or better than beagles ... 78.2%, and golden retrievers ... 83.2%."

source: badrap.org

check for yourself: http://www.atts.org/statistics.html

actually, pit bulls (american pit bull terrier if you're looking it up) is up to 84.3%, to update the statistic in that quote. the only reason i could think of that would make a pit bull attack 'worse' is because they're a slightly bigger more muscular breed, most definately not because of temperment.

really, any breed of dog can be dangerous when treated improperly. i agree about the irresponsible owners needing to be held accountable, but i don't see how punishing the whole breed along with the responsible owners would help.

it's a tough call, but the bad rap pits are given is really undeserved.

pits fall in the same category as guns to me. its bad to say that cuz they are living breathing animals, but at the same time they are very strong animals and can be very dangerous. it sucks to blame the dog for the idiot that raises them to be so pissed all the time, but lets face it, you dont hear about collies goin ape shit and mangling people faces. i think the problem, just like with guns, is that they are not regulated enough. any asshole can get one.

just to add to the matter, you cant always blame the owner either. when i was growing up a friend of our family had a pit and it was one of the nicest dogs i had ever been around. the owner took awesome care of it and treated it great. anyway, one day he came over with the dog to our house. no problem so far. we had a sheltie growing up and when the two dogs were together they were fine before this point. in fact the owner told us he had never had a serious problem with other dogs around his dog. to make the long story short, the owner bent down and pet our dog during the visit and his pit went fucking nuts and snapped my dogs neck in about ten seconds. dont take it as im being harsh on the breed either, my best friend has a small pit and its fucking awesome, i just dont trust them knowing they can turn.

"No more vicious than golden retrievers, beagles or other popular dogs! In a recent study of 122 dog breeds by the American Temperament Testing Society (ATTS), pit bulls achieved a passing rate of 83.9%. That's as good or better than beagles ... 78.2%, and golden retrievers ... 83.2%."

actually, pit bulls (american pit bull terrier if you're looking it up) is up to 84.3%, to update the statistic in that quote. the only reason i could think of that would make a pit bull attack 'worse' is because they're a slightly bigger more muscular breed, most definately not because of temperment.

Have you ever seen the victim of a pit bull attack or tried to stop one that is attacking someone, or been attacked by one? It's like fighting a fucking land shark. They're all muscle and teeth and their short slick hair makes it hard to get a hold of them. It's even worse because when they get into a frenzy they can't be stopped. A beagle might bit more often but you seldom hear about beagles killing the people they attack. They can be super sweet, but if they're raised wrong they're incredibly dangerous.

pit bulls were originally bred to fight other animals, therefore they have a tendency to be 'dog aggressive', which is a totally separate thing than being aggressive towards people. In fact, pits were specifically bred to have a love and respect for humans, due to the nature of dog fighting when it was considered a sport hundreds of years ago.

and in case you missed the link that i posted earlier about all breeds biting, here it is again: http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Articles/OtherBreedBites/AllDogsBite.htm

Have you ever seen the victim of a pit bull attack or tried to stop one that is attacking someone, or been attacked by one? It's like fighting a fucking land shark. They're all muscle and teeth and their short slick hair makes it hard to get a hold of them. It's even worse because when they get into a frenzy they can't be stopped. A beagle might bit more often but you seldom hear about beagles killing the people they attack. They can be super sweet, but if they're raised wrong they're incredibly dangerous.

you just said what i was trying to say........only better

yes, i can imagine that a pit would be hard to stop IF it was an aggressive one treated or trained improperly. however, if a beagle was trained in the same way, i'd imagine that it would be equally as hard to stop.

the only reasons pits are trained to fight is because of their build and other physical characteristics. don't get me wrong, i know they can be very dangerous if they're raised to be aggressive, but it's wrong to condemn the whole breed based on people's irresponsible actions.

look, im not going to argue with you that theres some analyst out there that has proven they bite less and blah, blah. the simple fact is they are a very strong, aggressive dog. when they bite people or anything for that matter they really fuck it up vs. other breeds like beagles who are more violent according to the link. pile that on top of the fact that they were bread to fight (which im sure there are other dogs in the same boat that are less violent). now top that off with the fact that any piece of shit out there can get one and throw a chain around its neck and treat it like crap and then let it loose in the neighborhood full of kids and other peoples pets and you got a serious risk on your hands. sorry but that dog becomes a problem then even if it is the owners fault. like i said, they should be regulated like a gun, you should have to be licensed to have them.